Subject: WIP/ Does this need more? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charity Hullinger
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am working on my first board game project called Zombie Samurai. It uses a hex board as the base. Basically you are a zombie and you need to turn as many of the Shogun's army into zombies as you can, but you also have to eat. So I have 2 sets of cards, "zombify" and "brains" (for eating)and each card has a different point value.

I was thinking it may need another element, maybe items? Or does it sound like enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

You literally have no details here. As described, this essentially sounds like "tag" on a hexboard with some sort of health mechanic.

Maybe you need more items; maybe you don't. Without knowing how the pieces move, if pieces have varying strengths/weaknesses, what the board looks like, etc., you're probably not destined to receive a lot of useful feedback.

And zombies. Which... yeah. Not too exciting for me, personally, but YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charity Hullinger
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zombify gives you two points and one movement on the board. To eat gives one point and you do not move. There are three different types of soldiers all with different point values.

Foot Soliders - 2 points and -1 slow.

Archers - 2 points and has +1 defense.

Horse Riders - 3 points, +2 defense, and -2 Heavy

You must add up all points, strengths and weaknesses and roll that number to zombify that soldier and win the points. If you roll different you lose points.

The winner is the one who has the most points at the end.

Sorry about not putting enough information up the first time. I just didn't know that you needed all that info.

(by the way, what does YMMV mean?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LittleRedWritingWolf wrote:

Your Mileage May Vary

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombify gives you two points and one movement on the board. To eat gives one point and you do not move. There are three different types of soldiers all with different point values.

Foot Soliders - 2 points and -1 slow.

Archers - 2 points and has +1 defense.

Horse Riders - 3 points, +2 defense, and -2 Heavy

You must add up all points, strengths and weaknesses and roll that number to zombify that soldier and win the points. If you roll different you lose points.

The winner is the one who has the most points at the end.

Sorry about not putting enough information up the first time. I just didn't know that you needed all that info.

As described, I think your original instinct is spot-on. This idea definitely sounds like it needs more development and something else.

What I'm getting out of this is something that sounds like an extremely stripped down version of D&D's move and attack system, coupled with some random dice rolling over a target number (again... shades of D&D).

It's entirely possible you have a lot more to it than that, but as presented, it seems very basic.

(YMMV - Your mileage may vary.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add in something to give it more depth and preferably some way to mitigate the randomness of the dice, at least occasionally.

Maybe some special cards that the players have a limited supply of? So you can, when you decide it is worth it, move a little further or add a bonus to your rolls or get a reroll or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
I'd add in something to give it more depth and preferably some way to mitigate the randomness of the dice, at least occasionally.

Or maybe dice pools or incremental die types per unit type/stat. So there's some degree of randomness still intact, but with more control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What would help me brainstorm is more information about the zombie-samurai pairing. There is a coolness I get, but I would also like some reasons for samurai instead of ninjas/crusaders/Klingons.

Also, I would normally expect samurai to make quick work of a slow moving zombie. Does the bushido code prevents the samurai from attacking, are the zombies fast moving, or are the zombies skilled at fighting? More information could help me here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charity Hullinger
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Samurai have skill in 7 different types of weapon. (my personal favorite being the Naginata (glaive). They also can be skilled horse riders. They would die in battle or commit ritual sacrifice if they failed to complete a mission.

The story behind this is that a samurai dies during a charge due to false orders from his shogun and comes back as a zombie. So you are literally playing a zombie samurai. You have to make as many of the Shogun's army into zombies as revenge. I was thinking of making different type of zombies, some fast and some slow, it all depends on what type of solider you attack and turn.

So the foot soldiers would be slow, the archers slightly fast, but the horse riders would be a difficult one, I would think that if he was turned into a zombie he would first try to eat the horse before moving on..laugh

Plus just the thought of katana wielding zombies is just awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai have skill in 7 different types of weapon. (my personal favorite being the Naginata (glaive). They also can be skilled horse riders. They would die in battle or commit ritual sacrifice if they failed to complete a mission.

The story behind this is that a samurai dies during a charge due to false orders from his shogun and comes back as a zombie. So you are literally playing a zombie samurai. You have to make as many of the Shogun's army into zombies as revenge. I was thinking of making different type of zombies, some fast and some slow, it all depends on what type of solider you attack and turn.

So the foot soldiers would be slow, the archers slightly fast, but the horse riders would be a difficult one, I would think that if he was turned into a zombie he would first try to eat the horse before moving on..laugh

Plus just the thought of katana wielding zombies is just awesome.

Maybe the player could start with all their samurai skills listed on individual cards in front of the player, and each round they have to flip over the cards (turning more into a zombies). So if they flipped over a katana card, they can't use a long sword anymore, and have to strategize a way around their zombification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.