Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pelton
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I have just played my 1st game of outpost 20th anni ed. All the players were also new to the game. I have a question about research cards. The pile seems woefully small. We had two players gaining 11 each per turn towards the end of the game. Is this normal. They both thought research was way better than titanium and everything else for that matter. The pile of cards is about a 3rd of the titanium cards.

Is this normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever had more than maybe 3 or 4 research factories. They had 11 each? Were all of their colonists manning just research factories?

Scientists don't have to be manned but they don't let you buy factories. Laboratory lets you buy all the factories you want, but you have to man them.

Edit: Okay, I stand corrected. I managed to get a Laboratory pretty early (it was one of the first Era 2 upgrades to come out) and poured all my cash into buying more research factories. I then nabbed a robotics card and started employing robots too. It wasn't difficult to get up to 11 cards per turn like you said, and I never even bothered to get an outpost or a warehouse since I didn't need them.

Normally I go for New Chemicals factories, but if you look at the math Research factories pay for themselves slightly more quickly than New Chemicals do. (Average value of 13 for $30 instead of average value of 20 for $60).

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Oakes
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Tom Jones "It's not unusual".

Assuming you're handling the Scientists and Laboratories correctly, then running out of Research cards can happen because there's so many ways to get them, they are (so, so) good and there isn't a mega. You're never forced to use them either (don't count to hand limitii) so it's common to see a lot staying in hands.

However, in my experience it's something that happens occasionally, not every game. It is possible your group has succumbed to "groupthink" here: of all the games I play lots of Outpost is the most susceptible to this (Goa, Funkenschlag and Imperial among others can be prone as well). It's feasible to suggest playing against other players to see how other approaches can work now online play gives you this opportunity, whether or not playing online is something you enjoy (me; prefer cleaning the bath).

Nearly all my games are with the original Tim jim set (or copies of it) but the production card set is virtually the same in both versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
Normally I go for New Chemicals factories, but if you look at the math Research factories pay for themselves slightly more quickly than New Chemicals do. (Average value of 13 for $30 instead of average value of 20 for $60).

-Dave

You aren't taking into account the cost of the worker. Assuming that you pay $10 for each worker/robot it is 13 for $40 or 20 for $70. It comes down to how plentiful your workers are. If you are worker tight New Chemicals are much better since they require fewer workers for the same amount of investment. If you have cheap/plentiful workers/robots then Research is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not normal. However, if you run out of cards, any people who have cards coming to them get cards you make up that are all worth 13.

Note that there are substantially more Research cards in the new version than there were in the original edition. There is no finite maximum to the number of Research cards that could be needed if people just keep saving them, so we had to make a call on how many to include. I think we added more Research cards than any other type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.