Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mathis
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this on the first day but I am considering pulling my backing and just waiting for the retail copy. The stretch goals don't really get me excited. I am betting when it hits retail it will be like 35 to 40 bucks. Anyone have any idea what this will retail for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG_Chris wrote:
I backed this on the first day but I am considering pulling my backing and just waiting for the retail copy. The stretch goals don't really get me excited. I am betting when it hits retail it will be like 35 to 40 bucks. Anyone have any idea what this will retail for.

well they don't want more than 600 backers and they are easily funded.

so you don't have to worry about it not being made or getting any kind of deal from ks.

waiting doesn't seem to lose out on much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG_Chris wrote:
Dominic's already said that he was originally shooting for 50 but it's now looking more like 60 because of component cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to your question is No. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
We're still getting price quotes. Right now it looks like the game will retail for $60, but it is not yet final until we have some more quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
well they don't want more than 600 backers...

You must have misheard. We don't want more than 6 million backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: right now we're trying to get our costs down so we can price the game at $55. It's still not final, but that's where our heads are at right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mathis
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have decided to stick with it after thinking about it some more. Thanks for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the best price is for Evolution and any NS game. Right now, Evolution alone is $50, and, with the additional game, $54. Say Anything is the BEST party game I've played. It's the only game whose humor changes with the players who play it. Target sells Say Anything for $30 including tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words. I am also a big fan of Say Anything. That and Time's Up are definitely my favorite party games of all time (though it seems self-serving to day it).

We're still looking into it, but the retail price for Evolution will probably be $55. The price quotes we're getting are all coming in at higher than we expected. Unfortunately we started the Kickstarter campaign before we got those quotes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea how much it'll cost across the Pond? Can't wait for the game to come out, but not sure if better to KS it (and pay postage) or buy it in UK etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneEared wrote:
Any idea how much it'll cost across the Pond? Can't wait for the game to come out, but not sure if better to KS it (and pay postage) or buy it in UK etc...

I have no idea. The cheapest European option right now is Essen pick-up, because the shipping is free. But we are also trying to get a EU friendly option set up. It is just proving to be more difficult than we expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be missing something, but it's mostly just cards correct? $50 just seems quite steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
I may be missing something, but it's mostly just cards correct? $50 just seems quite steep.

I wouldn't be in without the second game option - my parents will love Wits and Wagers, so that adds value to me.

That said, the statement that quotes are a lot higher than expected makes me worry the game will run into production issues either when quality is compromised or it falls down their priority list as they'll make less money on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG_Chris wrote:

These Kickstarter games routinely make their way to Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc. for 2/3 the kickstarted price. So, I'd say you're spot on with your estimate of $35-40. And since both places offer free shipping (on orders of $100 or more), shipping is a non-issue. I've even seen many kickstarted games in the Clearance and Deal of the Day sections of the online game stores for over 50% off. This is what ultimately drove me away from Kickstarter. The exclusives were never exciting enough to justify the extra price. But good on those who do support the projects. Assuming the projects aren't just pre-orders, I'm happy there are people out there who are willing to back them making the projects possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:

You're missing something.

1 Watering Hole board
175 Food Tokens
24 Species Boards
48 Wooden Markers
6 Player Bags
6 Player Aids
The stretch goals

The MSRP will be $55. This seems to be right in line with other options on the market. 7 Wonders sells for $50, and it has less components than Evolution.

We're not going to sell Evolution at a discount. If you find it for less than $55 it's because the store you're buying it from it taking a hit on their margins. I expect the online retailers will give their normal discount since they don't have rent as part of their overhead, but you'll lose a bit of the savings to shipping costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
That said, the statement that quotes are a lot higher than expected makes me worry the game will run into production issues either when quality is compromised or it falls down their priority list as they'll make less money on it.

Your comment doesn't make any sense. North Star Games isn't releasing any other games this year. How is it going to fall down our priority list?!! Our whole company is working their a$$ off to make sure make sure everything about this game is amazing - the game play, the art, the components... everything.

We've shipped out over a million games since I founded the company. I think we have a pretty good idea of an idea of what we're doing by now. Evolution will ship on time and will have the highest possible quality components. Nothing is going to be compromised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Your comment doesn't make any sense. North Star Games isn't releasing any other games this year. How is it going to fall down our priority list?!! Our whole company is working their a$$ off to make sure make sure everything about this game is amazing - the game play, the art, the components... everything.

We've shipped out over a million games since I founded the company. I think we have a pretty good idea of an idea of what we're doing by now. Evolution will ship on time and will have the highest possible quality components. Nothing is going to be compromised.

Awesome! This statement is worth backing on Kickstarter !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! The game components and artwork look amazing! I can't wait for this to come out...

Temptation may be the death of me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Great to hear.

Though I don't like your initial statement - having a price set before you sent it to the printers for a quote, and having that quote higher than expected, is a reason for someone looking to do a preorder with you to be concerned. You addressed my concerns, and I'm happy to be backing.

But even if the statement didn't make sense, your post would have conveyed the same information without that first sentence, and it would have had a much more positive tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
But even if the statement didn't make sense, your post would have conveyed the same information without that first sentence, and it would have had a much more positive tone.

You're right. I let my emotions got the best of me. I'm sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

I'm sure running a KS campaign is quite stressful.
Where does it rank on your life-time 'stress-o-meter'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
domcrap wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

I'm sure running a KS campaign is quite stressful.
Where does it rank on your life-time 'stress-o-meter'?

Almost in the top 100! laugh

Captaining a commercial salmon fishing boat in Alaska for 12 seasons has most of my top 100 stressful experiences.

Finalizing the Evolution game play has been much more stressful. I've been sleeping 3 - 5 hours a night for the past 2 months with two or three eleven hour nights interspersed in there. That's mostly because my mind can't let go of trying to get everything perfect on the Evolution game (rules, art, production value, and marketing), but also because my kids have been sick recently. My 16 month old has been up every night for the past 3 weeks. Then is hard to get back to sleep when my mind is whirling with tasks.

But to be honest, David Lipman has been managing the Kickstarter campaign, so maybe that's why it has nt been very stressful on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all your experience on the commercial salmon fishing boat in Alaska, perhaps you might consider making a board game with a similar theme. I am thinking something like the tv show "Deadliest Catch" where you compete against other players to catch the most fish over a number of rounds (the fishing season). All players could start out with a basic fishing boat and basic supplies and then head on out into the wild blue yonder of Alaskan waters and attempt to catch the most, risking valuable time by heading back to shore periodically to resupply or attempt repairs or buy better equipment... might have potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a very interesting idea! Maybe even spread it over a few fishing seasons to give time to build up currency for upgrades (boat, lines, etc.) or add hidden events/objectives like competitions...sounds pretty good actually .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.