David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
Now go eat some chocolate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

The department I work for has an annyversary coming up, and my colleagues and I want to surprise our boss with a customized game.

I think we'll just go with Love Letter, since all we have to do is retheme the game and create some cards (and everyone could easily get his/her own copy). However I didn't want to start the project without asking for other suggestions beforehand meeple

There are some criteria which should be met:

d10-1 It should be easy to teach (doesn't need to be a light game though)

d10-2 It should play in less than 2 hours

d10-3 There is the possibility to integrate our faces and/or names thematically

It would also be great if the game scaled to more than 4 players, but this is not a necessity.

These are more or less the only limitations. We could design a game board, design and print cards and custom dice, and we have access to a 3d-printer (if there are convenient templates available). We would also buy a game just for the components if needed.

As I already wrote, most probably we'll just take Love Letter. But if you read this and have a way better idea, I'm eager to hear it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends upon the size of your department.

Coup or Love Letter work well for small groups.

For larger groups, what about Formidable Foes? Especially if you could 3D print your department head as the monster!

If you want everyone involved in a big group, you're looking at Werewolf or one of the many clones but I've nev played (and probably linked to the wrong game!)

Te one I always wanted to do was The Awful Green Things From Outer Space but that never happened.

The Flying Frog games, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game, A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game, etc. are just waiting for this sort of customisation, since the cards are already photos of people in costume but the play time is too long and the amount of work far too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit would be easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wood
Australia
Scarborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Council of Verona would also be a good choice and easy to do. You could theme the Council and Exile as two locations/floors/offices in your company. Depending on how you feel about your co-workers you could leave out or include the Council of Verona: Poison Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Philip,

thanks for the reply!

Coup is a great idea, I didn't have this one on the radar :-). I'll also take a look at Formidable Foes.

I really like Werewolf, but you need at least 7 to 8 players (and I want the game to be played). If you never played the game you should really give it a shot with the right group! (Best with no alcohol in my experience.)

A Touch of Evil and Last Night on Earth would both be fantastic, but I'm afraid the sheer amound of cards make this one too expensive (in terms of manhours). Escept of course someone beat me to it and there were free templates of the cards available...

Thinking about it, both games would indeed be possible if we bought one, replaced some cards and sleeved them with obscured backs. I'll discuss that with my colleagues!

@Sam: I never heard of Pit before, but I already have an idea for a self-made, thematic bell laugh thanks for the suggestion!

@Daniel: Council of Verona also looks promising, thank you. And I would definitely include the poison expansion devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
malzwei wrote:
Hello everyone!

The department I work for has an annyversary coming up, and my colleagues and I want to surprise our boss with a customized game.

I think we'll just go with Love Letter, since all we have to do is retheme the game and create some cards (and everyone could easily get his/her own copy). However I didn't want to start the project without asking for other suggestions beforehand meeple

There are some criteria which should be met:

d10-1 It should be easy to teach (doesn't need to be a light game though)

d10-2 It should play in less than 2 hours

d10-3 There is the possibility to integrate our faces and/or names thematically

It would also be great if the game scaled to more than 4 players, but this is not a necessity.

These are more or less the only limitations. We could design a game board, design and print cards and custom dice, and we have access to a 3d-printer (if there are convenient templates available). We would also buy a game just for the components if needed.

As I already wrote, most probably we'll just take Love Letter. But if you read this and have a way better idea, I'm eager to hear it!
Will AEG be receiving royalties for the game? How many copies are you planning on reproducing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:
Will AEG be receiving royalties for the game? How many copies are you planning on reproducing?

We wouldn't use the original artwork, the game name and not even the card names. All we would do is borrow the game mechanics. So no royalties I'm afraid

If we settle on something small with just cards (like LL, Coup or Pit) we'll make a copy for everyone interested, which could be about 10 Persons max I think. If we customize a more complex game there will be just one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Depending on how many people/events/objects you want to include, Lost Legacy may be better than Love letter. Still 16 cards per game, but there are at least four published decks with another four floating around. Each deck plays differently, but you can mix and match as long as the number distribution doesn't change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Horm
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to find a list of microgames like The Most Recommended "Small Games" because they have a smaller list of components to copy.

I do see a bunch of custom homemade versions of Love Letter, so that's the popular pick. I've also seen somebody use the Zombie Dice mechanic for their wedding favor. The only other microgame I heard good things about is Skull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow guys, thanks a lot thumbsup

I think that's enough input for the moment. Though I won't complain about even more ideas, there are already a lot of good games here which fit the criteria (and I'm still going through the list suggested by David...) Lost Legacy also looks very interesting!

Thanks again, and have some I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit: Yet some royalties for you, Robert laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Engelhardt
Germany
flag msg tools
Happy Easter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, it's been some time, and the game was successfully produced. In the end we went with Lost Legacy, and made the two standard-decks plus one Legacy-bonuscard.

The artwork was quite good, but I don't have the game with me right now, so I can't show you unfortunately (I'm on vacation). Our graphics-person did a great job (she really did!), and the cards look very nice, but for my taste it was too much oriented on the original, especially with the images being in a round canvas. But hey, this is really nit-picking, the text area are like brushed steel plates with screws in the corners, and the text is embossed. also do the card names and values have a round, polished steel-tag. The background images are of different color per value, with a white switching-circuit pattern. Did I mention they look very nice?

The re-theming of the game was a group effort. Basically we changed the terminology, so it is more fitting. Some examples: If you drop out of the game, you are "exmatriculated", the graveyard is our subversion-repository (the "svn"), the discard is a "vita". Some cards could also be translated nicely: The original "Girl of Fate" (if you have her and she gets seen you are out of the game) became "Plagiarism", the "Swordsman" (if you see an "X" in someone elses hand, that person is out of the game) became a "Review". The "Search" (you can switch your hand with one in the ruins) became a "Seminar" and so on. Of course not every card name matched the effect that nicely, but overall it was quite fitting.

After deciding about terminology and card-names as a group, everyone got some cards assigned and was responsible for the corresponding graphics. Some graphics are people, others are machines, inside jokes, logos, and some are even drawn pictures :-) The result is quite diverse, but looks good!

We produced the cards with printer studio, and got some clear boxes too. At the anniversary party the game was part of the present for our boss, who of course was very impressed. To be honest, I don't think it will hit the tables that often, but it makes lots of fun anyways. The best moment was when the whole department met with ice cream to play, and at one point one person said something like "Hey, this is acutally fun!" with a slightly surprised tone I'm glad to say that everyone enjoyed the game, so the whole project was a success.

Thanks again to everyone who participated with suggestions, and especially to Raithyn for the mentioning of Lost Legacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.