1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you still play Classic Board Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alysa W
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Question if you guys would oblige me in my little mini board game survey for a research project im doing:
I would like to know if a) you still play classic board games (and which ones?) b) if you do - why? if you don't why not? c) are you bored of the classics or do they still float your boat? d) would you spend money to enhance the current version if it modernised it/made it funnier/made it more interesting? if you want to reply you can email amazeboards@gmail.com
THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE, i really really appreciate it.
Alysa - New Zealand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a. Yes, sometimes. Usually LIFE, PayDay, Trivial Pursuit (various), and some others like Scrabble, Rummikub, and Othello. Even the occasional dreaded game of Monopoly.

b. 99.44% of the the time that these games come out it's because we have family over and this is what they want to play. I'm just happy to play with them, so if that's what they want, that's what they get. I've tried to introduce new things over the years, but some of them just want to stick with what they know. And that's fine. I'd rather play than just sit and watch TV.

c. Pretty bored, but given that I only play them once or twice a year these days, I can get over it and have a good time. To me, it's more about the people and the gathering than the game.

d. Probably not. There are just so many new games coming out every day that are fun and fascinating that I likely wouldn't spend anything to enhance one of these classics. In most cases, I'm not sure the enhancements would help (note some of the versions of Monopoly, LIFE, etc. that have come out in recent years with credit cards and the like trying to be cool and hip that (IMO) are worse than the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
alysa wrote:
Question if you guys would oblige me in my little mini board game survey for a research project im doing:
I would like to know if a) you still play classic board games (and which ones?) b) if you do - why? if you don't why not? c) are you bored of the classics or do they still float your boat? d) would you spend money to enhance the current version if it modernised it/made it funnier/made it more interesting? if you want to reply you can email amazeboards@gmail.com
Alysa - New Zealand

a) Yes, mostly Cluedo and Monopoly, also Rummikub.

b) My son likes them. he was only introduced to Cluedo a few weeks ago, after having played Dominion, Ticket to ride etc for a few years, and he's asking to play Cluedo more than any other game we play ever. It would be really shitty of me to refuse as they are "mass market" alone.

c) They pass the time as much as other light games. Variety is key

d) Nope. I could wel imagine buying a brilliant chess / go / crokinole set one day, but I'd need to learn them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play monopoly once in a blue moon, and play Masterpiece every Christmas with the family.

But a lot depends on what you mean by classic, to illustrate.

I play the original of Fury of Dracula, Thunderoad, Merchant of Venus, and history of the world every couple of months or so (that is to say I play one of these every couple of months or so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes! Some are good and get occasional play on their own merits (only occasional because there are so many equally good or better games competing for my time). Others are fun to play occasionally with family for nostalgia value because they were the games of my childhood, even though they might be dreadful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may depend on what you define as "classic." To my ancient mind, classic would include the games posted above: Monopoly, Clue/Cluedo, Sorry!, Game of LIFE, Scrabble, et al. If that's the case, my answer is No to all the questions.

If 'classics' includes Settlers of Catan, Acquire, and Can't Stop, then my answers are Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Define "classic".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume by classic you probably mean top-selling mass-market games like Clue, Sorry!, Monopoly, Uno, Risk, etc. If so, then yes I do still occasionally play them, usually because I'm with someone who wants to play a board game but isn't interested in (or is too young for) more complex hobby games. Most often this is either family or kids of people in my game group. I think there's still enjoyment to be had out of them, but a fatal flaw that many of them suffer from is that they take far too long to be so simple. I personally think I've outgrown them and wouldn't really be interested in modernized versions (in fact, most of them have modernized versions already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I still really enjoy Scrabble and (Big) Boggle. I've got nothing against Stratego, either, but there are some other games that do that sort of thing in a way we prefer (like Confusion).

Many of the "classics" either have far more luck than we enjoy, go on for too long, or both. There are good points within, say, Risk, but it has been modernized to more enjoyable forms (like Risk Legacy) so I wouldn't want to play the original anymore.

What I wouldn't want is just a different-looking version or uninspired knockoff of an existing not-that-great. A visually better Sorry or Houstonopoly do not appeal to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
I assume by classic you probably mean top-selling mass-market games like Clue, Sorry!, Monopoly, Uno, Risk, etc. If so, then yes I do still occasionally play them, usually because I'm with someone who wants to play a board game but isn't interested in (or is too young for) more complex hobby games. Most often this is either family or kids of people in my game group. I think there's still enjoyment to be had out of them, but a fatal flaw that many of them suffer from is that they take far too long to be so simple. I personally think I've outgrown them and wouldn't really be interested in modernized versions (in fact, most of them have modernized versions already).
Do risk variants count, if so I play those (lord of the rings and Star wears) a couple of times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alysa wrote:
I would like to know if a) you still play classic board games (and which ones?)

Yes, Monopoly, LIFE, Sorry, RISK, Scrabble, Screaming Eagles.

alysa wrote:
b) if you do - why?

I have small stepdaughters I am trying to make into gamers. The classics are good gateways to the larger world of gaming with the added bonus of light problem solving and enhancing math skills.

alysa wrote:
c) are you bored of the classics or do they still float your boat?

Not bored, they are not my first choice for a game, but they are still valued members of my game shelves.

alysa wrote:
d) would you spend money to enhance the current version if it modernised it/made it funnier/made it more interesting?

I own Risk 2210 A.D. and Monopoly Deluxe Edition. Risk 2210 is the only worthy enhancement over the original RISK in my opinion. Deluxe Ed Monoply came with 2 sets of cash, wooden houses, and a few more movement tokens.

Anything beyond these two is just fluff to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, except for Scrabble. The others are dumb and I do not socialize with unenlightened people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Bennett
Canada
Canwood
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a) I do on occasion, but not very often. The only ones I own are Operation, Clue, Life and Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit.

b)I still play clue because that's one I've always enjoyed, but it's still not played as often as a lot of my other games. Operation I got more for my kids in the classroom for a Halloween Party game because it's a themed version. The other two never really get played. I've never been a huge fan of what are I guess considered the classics. I've always hated Monopoly, Scrabble, Yahtzee and lots of others. They just seemed too long and really boring and dry.

c)I've never been a huge fan of what are I guess considered the classics. I've always hated Monopoly, Scrabble, Yahtzee and lots of others. They just seemed too long and really boring and dry. Classics for me that I played as a kid are games like Omega Virus, Forbidden Bridge and 13 Dead End Drive. Still own two of these and enjoy them on occasion as well.

d)I probably wouldn't shell out more money for an updated version. It would have to be pretty top notch and change the game quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Koivisto
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alysa wrote:
a) you still play classic board games (and which ones?)

Yes, I play a lot of Chess with my brother and more seldomly played classics are Scrabble, UNO, Mylly (=Nine Men's Morris), Trivial Pursuit, Alias(I know this is just a finnish classic) and I also play Traditional Card Games.
alysa wrote:
b) if you do - why? if you don't why not?

Some classics are classics because they stand time so well and there just isn't a newer game that would scratch the specific itch a classic can handle. However, I've noticed that some boardgamer friends of mine a very reluctant to admit that some classics would be as fun as some new board games.
alysa wrote:

I'm bored of Monopoly and Risk (and Settlers of Catan & Carcassonne)
alysa wrote:
d) would you spend money to enhance the current version if it modernised it/made it funnier/made it more interesting?

I could buy a "perfect" chess board and I'm interested in Risk Legacy, but mostly they don't need much modernization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Alysa - New Zealand

This may help you:
Poll
Do you still play any classic boardgames? (comment on which and reasons please!)
yes
no
      87 answers
Poll created by kvenosdel

Poll
Are you bored of the classics or do you still enjoy them?
Bored
Neutral
Enjoy
      85 answers

Poll
Would you spend money to modernize a classic board game?
yes
no
maybe
      85 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Clue the other day with some friends. It's been probably 15 years or more since I've played. Clue hit the table because the host was renovating and couldn't find the rest of his games. I'd forgotten that it's actually a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Martinez
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as a family we play Clue, Life ,Sorry,Scrabble, Rummikub, and Othello. We still enjoy playing them, we play some of the newer updated versions of these games also. I would spend money on a new updated game if it added something interesting the older classic did not have or use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I thought "classic" meant much older games like Go, Chess, Shogi, Checkers, Backgammon, Mancala, etc. Which I do indeed play. If it means stuff like Monopoly, Life, Sorry, etc, then no, I don't really play them any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
I played Clue the other day with some friends. It's been probably 15 years or more since I've played. Clue hit the table because the host was renovating and couldn't find the rest of his games. I'd forgotten that it's actually a fun game.
except for the dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
a) Yes. Scrabble jumps to mind immediately.

Beyond that, I have to repeat the earlier posters and ask you what you mean by "classic?" I'm sure you mean some combination of old and popular, but the degree of each is critical.

Here are some games that I still play, or would play, that have been around a long time.

Word games: Upwords and Boggle

Abstract games: Chess, Backgammon, Connect Four and Othello.

Board games: Diplomacy and Stratego, and perhaps Clue and Careers.

And, of course, there are numerous classic card games. I'll guess that those are outside the scope of your study.

b) I play old games for any or all of the following reasons:
1. I like the game
2. Someone else (often someone even older than I) wants to play
3. Nothing newer improves on the older game or scratches the same itch
4. Nostalgia

c) There are old games I've gotten bored of and don't play any more. There are new games for which I can say the same (looking at you, Catan). Depends on the game, the people that are playing, and my mood.

d) I will answer "Yes" to this hypothetical since I could certainly imagine a facelift or an improvement to an older game making it attractive once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Rook, Hearts, and Scrabble on occasion. They are enjoyable but not enough to play all the time. I play Cribbage much more often than any of the others. I don't play other traditional games really. I would only pay for new stuff if it seemed fun, such as Reverse Charades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a) No.

b) Because there are many more fulfilling games in my collection that I'd rather play.

c) Very bored.

d) Probably not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
a) you still play classic board games (and which ones?)

Yes. Monopoly, Scrabble, Clue

b) if you do - why? if you don't why not?

The three games are quite good in spite of the beatings they take here, and my family enjoys them. Monopoly gets a run with gamers once in a blue moon as well.

Still enjoy Monopoly and Clue in particular.

Wouldn't rule it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Hmm, I thought "classic" meant much older games like Go, Chess, Shogi, Checkers, Backgammon, Mancala, etc. Which I do indeed play. If it means stuff like Monopoly, Life, Sorry, etc, then no, I don't really play them any more.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alysa wrote:
Alysa - New Zealand

I'm happy to answer the questions, but like others above, I'm wondering about your definition of "classic." Are you referring to:

A. Games that have lasted for multiple hundreds of years & are still around & in play, such as backgammon, chess, go,etc.

B. Games that have originated in the past 80-100 years, but would be considered by people on BGG to be "mass market," such as Monopoly, Scrabble, Sorry, Clue, etc.

C. Both A & B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.