Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: New player with some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I ordered STAW a couple of days ago (keeping my fingers crossed it will arrive at the weekend but not holding my breath) and I have a few questions.

1. What to do about the tiny TOS Enterprise? I think the Enterprise is a must buy for the crew cards alone but the model looks atrocious! I've read that the Micro Machines Enterprise is a good substitute but that the nacelles may droop a bit because it's made of a much softer plastic. What do you recommend as a replacement - Micro Machines or something else?

2. On a similar note, are there any other ships that really should be replaced for aesthetic reasons other than the TOS Enterprise? Bear in mind that I am not so much concerned about "absolute" scale, just "relative" scale. I don't mind ships being different scales as long as ships that are about the same size in the shows/movies are about the same size in the game too. Also, I know that there are very long threads already about the scale problems - I've read them. I just find the information provided there very confusing and would love a summary that says what ships are grossly out of scale like the TOS Enterprise.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
If you're decent at painting and modelling you could go with the Starfleet Command Fed Cruiser.

As far as grossly out of scale, it's generally speaking smaller ships that are too large. Taking the larger ships like the D as a baseline the Defiant, B'rel class, and Jem'Hadar bug are all ridiculously huge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roberson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
The Defiant is too big. I use a modded version of the old Hallmark Christmas ornament set (contains Voyager, Ent-E and Defiant all about the size of the Tinyprise).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
These Enterprise models look very nice and are available in the UK (where I live) quite easily through Amazon. They are stated as being 1/2500 scale. Would they work with STAW?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Enterprise-NCC1701-1701A-1701B...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The old Gamescience Heavy Cruiser is just about the right scale for the Wizkids D7s. You can get one in the original all white plastic in the Squadron Box #91 The Ships of Franz Joseph (which comes with a Dreadnaught, 2 Destroyer/Scouts, and a Tug). Unfortunately, it is kind of hard to find them in the white plastic as single ships (for some reason they made quite a few in translucent glow in the dark colors). Though I've been toying with the idea of using the Dreadnaught with Excelsior stats and the Destroyer/Scout with Miranda stats.

Also, if you go with this option, you'll probably want to pick up a Micromachines Romulan Warbird to match the scale for TOS era ships, as the Wizkids one is a little small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Becker
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
badge
Banana!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can wait until July, the refit Enterprise will arrive, so you can just substitute for that. Plus you'll get the ST:TMP crew, with those snazzy uniforms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
These Enterprise models look very nice and are available in the UK (where I live) quite easily through Amazon. They are stated as being 1/2500 scale. Would they work with STAW?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Round-Enterprise-NCC1701-1701A-1701B...

I think you'll find those a little big. The TOS Enterprise at that scale is about twice as long as the Enterprise D in the base set. But if you do decide to go that direction, there are a couple of other sets you might want to look at:

1/2500 Star Trek TOS Era Ship Set, Snap Kit (Has the Enterprise, Klingon D7, and Romulan Warbird)

Round 2 Star Trek: The Motion Pictures: Cadet Series 1:2500 Scale Model Kit Set (Has the Enterprise A, Reliant, and Klingon D7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Tantive4 wrote:
If you can wait until July, the refit Enterprise will arrive, so you can just substitute for that. Plus you'll get the ST:TMP crew, with those snazzy uniforms!

This sounds more like it! Thanks for the heads up. I did some more research tonight and discovered that the Heroclix Tactics ships are the same moulds as used for STAW, and there is already a Heroclix Enterprise-A that is the same approximate size as the Miranda-class in STAW. So, Enterprise-A from Heroclix Tactics or the July STAW one seems the way to go.

I am also very pleased with this discovery for the potential it has for creating "squadrons" of identical class ships, like three Klingon D7s. The Heroclix Tactics ones appear to be a lot cheaper too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tantive4 wrote:

I'm hopeful its the STII-STVI versions and not those god awful ones from TMP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use the Enterprise-A model from the Star Trek Tactics heroclix game. It is the sam model that we will be getting later this year for the Enterprise refit. It has the refit Nacelles on it, but is pretty much the same size as all of the other ships.

I look at the scale of the game this way;
It's not that some ships are way too big (Defiant, JH beetle, B'rel) and others are too small (D'Deridex, Negh'Var), it's just that some of them are closer to the camera than others

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Ender02 wrote:
You can always use the Enterprise-A model from the Star Trek Tactics heroclix game. It is the sam model that we will be getting later this year for the Enterprise refit. It has the refit Nacelles on it, but is pretty much the same size as all of the other ships.

I look at the scale of the game this way;
It's not that some ships are way too big (Defiant, JH beetle, B'rel) and others are too small (D'Deridex, Negh'Var), it's just that some of them are closer to the camera than others

Sorry, I still don't get it Ted

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.