Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question about the format of the 1989 tournament at this year's WBC: if I don't play in the first round, would I be able to play in the rest of the rounds and just take a loss for round 1?

My son and I usually come in on Wednesday, and even though we are just 90 min away, I don't think we will make the 9am start time.

I just picked up this game in December and would love to give it a tournament go. Just hoping I still can if I miss the first round.

Thanks very much,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quick question about the format of the 1989 tournament at this year's WBC: if I don't play in the first round, would I be able to play in the rest of the rounds and just take a loss for round 1?

My son and I usually come in on Wednesday, and even though we are just 90 min away, I don't think we will make the 9am start time.

I just picked up this game in December and would love to give it a tournament go. Just hoping I still can if I miss the first round.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

Well, the GM appears to be a user:

Henry Richardson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You can GeekMail or email him (his email is at the bottom of the Event Preview).

BUT--If I may offer my interpretation, it seems pretty clear from the Event Preview that the tournament will use a Swiss format. In a pure Swiss (and I see no indication that it won't be a normal Swiss), one can join at any point. You won't get credit for the first round, but that won't disqualify you from placing or even winning, depending on how everyone else does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You won't get credit for the first round, but that won't disqualify you from placing or even winning, depending on how everyone else does.

Thanks for the response.

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to check. I've got to get my schedule down and that of my son, so I just wanted to see if this is still an option.

After years of attending, the formats and symbols still throw me for a bit of a loop. (For example, I'm fairly sure you can join heats anytime you want, but I wasn't sure about rounds.)

Thanks again,

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Richardson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kevin:

Max is completely right! We're doing a 4-round Swiss tournament with no single-elimination finale. Drop in, drop out, come when you can and leave when you want. You earn more tournament points for losing than for not playing.

I have no idea how big or small the turnout will be. Bringing a copy of the game will definitely help ensure you can play all the rounds you can fit in ...

Henry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And by the way, thanks for GMing, Henry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Max is completely right! We're doing a 4-round Swiss tournament with no single-elimination finale. Drop in, drop out, come when you can and leave when you want. You earn more tournament points for losing than for not playing.

I have no idea how big or small the turnout will be. Bringing a copy of the game will definitely help ensure you can play all the rounds you can fit in ...

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'll be sure to bring my copy of the game. Going to make it a priority to make the 12 noon and following rounds.

Thanks for GMing this. I've only been playing it solo to learn the rules, but it seems like it should do very well at WBC. I hope you get a nice turnout.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
I've only been playing it solo to learn the rules

I know I vowed not to derail threads to talk about online options, but it is worth noting that 1989 has both a Wargameroom program and a VASSAL module. Both could be used to help get some practice beforehand against other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
natsean wrote:
I've only been playing it solo to learn the rules

I know I vowed not to derail threads to talk about online options, but it is worth noting that 1989 has both a Wargameroom program and a VASSAL module. Both could be used to help get some practice beforehand against other players.

A very good way to learn is to play by email on ACTS and using Cyberboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.