Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 clues on one space? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
Germany
Kiel
Deutschland
flag msg tools
12x12 challenge...52% complete!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey.

I need an opinion to the following occurrence: an encounter in London allowed me to spawn a clue on a location of my choice. I placed it in Rome. Some rounds later, I drew the clue that belongs to Rome. I put it there, too. Is that correct, that there can be 2 clues in one space? Do I have to encounter each clue in different rounds?
What do you think?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lillebror666 wrote:
Hey.

I need an opinion to the following occurrence: an encounter in London allowed me to spawn a clue on a location of my choice. I placed it in Rome. Some rounds later, I drew the clue that belongs to Rome. I put it there, too. Is that correct, that there can be 2 clues in one space? Do I have to encounter each clue in different rounds?
What do you think?


You can have more than one clue on a single space. You encounter them as separate encounters.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Germany
Kiel
Deutschland
flag msg tools
12x12 challenge...52% complete!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lillebror666 wrote:
Hey.

I need an opinion to the following occurrence: an encounter in London allowed me to spawn a clue on a location of my choice. I placed it in Rome. Some rounds later, I drew the clue that belongs to Rome. I put it there, too. Is that correct, that there can be 2 clues in one space? Do I have to encounter each clue in different rounds?
What do you think?

I've a vague memory we played this differently.

Basically, when the player gets the choice of placing a clue on the board, he can pick only unused ones from the clue pool or discard pile. Once decided, looks for it and places it on the board and re-shuffles the pool.

Has this every been given an FFG stamp of approval for two, or more, clues on the same spot? ... we never bothered to follow it up to see how it should be played, blush

Walts

Edit: Clue would have only been taken from the Clue Pool.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:

I've a vague memory we played this differently.

Basically, when the player gets the choice of placing a clue on the board, he can pick only unused ones from the clue pool or discard pile. Once decided, looks for it and places it on the board and re-shuffles the pool.

Has this every been given an FFG stamp of approval for two, or more, clues on the same spot? ... we never bothered to follow it up to see how it should be played, blush

Walts


I play it like Walts
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really?
Isn't this making the process way too complicated and drawn-out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely makes it more complicated, besides that fact that it's probably not the correct way to play.

Reference guide, p. 3:
When an effect spawns a Clue on a specific space, draw one Clue token from the Clue pool and place it on the space specified by the effect. The space indicated on the front of the Clue token is not referenced.


Being able to choose a space (i.e. a specific space) to spawn a Clue (due to an effect) should be handled the same way IMO.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Dad
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a game where I had to move all clue tokens to the nearest expedition space (which ended with two clues on one space). Then four or five rounds later I randomly selected a clue that went to the previous mentioned space. I never had all three on at once because I travelled there for the Research Encounter (then in turn solve mysteries).
I have also encountered twice, while battling Cthulhu, multiple clues on a single space due to a mystery moving all clue tokens to the nearest sea space. I believe FFG is aware and thinks its a-ok to have more than one clue on a single space. Apparently it's fine to have five monsters popping out of a gate in Tokyo!?!

I also want to mention that in the Reference Guide p.3 under CLUES, there is a description of a clue discard pile. This pile is separate from the pool until the pool is depleted and then all clue tokens are returned to the pool for random selection. I might have misread a previous post about someone returning spent tokens to the pool; when in fact that clue is removed from the game until the clue pool is empty.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Redamikanas wrote:
Reference guide, p. 3:
When an effect spawns a Clue on a specific space, draw one Clue token from the Clue pool and place it on the space specified by the effect. The space indicated on the front of the Clue token is not referenced.

Being able to choose a space (i.e. a specific space) to spawn a Clue (due to an effect) should be handled the same way IMO.

Yeah, that sounds more like the correct way to do things, but I guess we like to keep the tokens "tidy". For all the time it takes to match-up the space to clue.

Goliath463 wrote:
I also want to mention that in the Reference Guide p.3 under CLUES, there is a description of a clue discard pile. This pile is separate from the pool until the pool is depleted and then all clue tokens are returned to the pool for random selection. I might have misread a previous post about someone returning spent tokens to the pool; when in fact that clue is removed from the game until the clue pool is empty.

I'm sure we would have played it that way ... just a distant memory now with all the games starting to become a blur!

Goliath463 wrote:
I recently played a game where I had to move all clue tokens to the nearest expedition space (which ended with two clues on one space).

We've never had this "effect" ... any ref to what card caused this for a look-see?

Thanks, Walts
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:
Goliath463 wrote:
I recently played a game where I had to move all clue tokens to the nearest expedition space (which ended with two clues on one space).

We've never had this "effect" ... any ref to what card caused this for a look-see?

Thanks, Walts

What, you don't want to wait for it to show up on our game?

It's one of Yig's mysteries. It acts the same as Chthulu's "move every clue in the game to the sea, then solve one mystery per player" card.

Anyway... yes, it's quite possible for more than one clue per space. You only encounter one of them at a time. And looking through the clue pile for the specific clue for that space seems like an exercise in OCD.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.