Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious as to what you all thought. My decks seem to be focused more on cost of the die and triggering combos.

I could see where focusing on one type of energy could be useful as the character dice have the option to get 2 of those symbols, but personally I don't feel it is necessary.

What you you all think? What are the benefits of fielding only one type of energy instead of mixing them up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle K
Canada
flag msg tools
If you have a 6-cost fist, it's gonna be dang hard to acquire if all your other characters are masks. Ideal to have a low cost symbol for each high card symbol of that type.

IMO everyone should also have a couple mask characters in their deck since those are the most useful globals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's less important than I initially thought it would be. When recruiting early and cheap (Black Widow anyone?), it's doesn't seem to have much of an impact. But if i'm throwing four dice trying to recruit some sort of finishing character (7 cost) that doesn't match my other character types, I need at least 3 character dice to get that energy level. If they don't match the energy type, that leaves a 1 in 3 chance of getting the energy type you need. This is especially true if you are trying to "cull" your dice by leaving the sidekicks in the field.

I don't think focusing on only one type of energy makes sense, but being careful not to "strand' an expensive character because it depends on the roll of a sidekick is a consideration.

Then again, I've not played a whole ton of games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yes and no.

I think it helps to have some of your cards the same energy. Well duh? Yeah duh. Lemmee explain tho.

If you're using mostly lightning cards, the more lightning dice you buy the higher the likelihood of rolling a lightning bolt energy when you're rolling the dice because all of those characters have a 50% shot of rolling energy. That energy is, by default, all lightning energy.

So it's a double edged sword.

I have tried stacking the cards with mostly the same energy, but it never works out quite to plan. If you get roll four energy and none of it is useable to purchase a die, that's essentially losing a turn. Sure, you buy an action, but you're forced to buy an action over a character.

In practice I find a mix of everything works best. Or at least three different types.

Also I find that the dice I want to use are what dictate the energy required more than anything. Not the other way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.