Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

RoboRally» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of tagging flags; movement priority and logistics; pushing other robots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi, I'm new to RoboRally and would like clarifications on these points:

1. Touching Flag:
If I get to a flag before the 5th register, does that count? Or do I have to end the turn (after 5th register) with my bot on the flag space for it to count as having "touched" it?

2. Moving bots:
How should players handle the bot movement stage? Everyone does each phase simultaneously? Or player by player?

3. Leapfrog or push:
If 1 bot is programmed to move 2 spaces, but another bot is directly in the path, does the 1st bot leapfrog over the second bot, or does the second bot get pushed 2 spaces?

Thanks,
C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Newbie queries
1. a variation we like to play with is that in order to get credit for the final flag you have to be there on the 5th register at the end of the turn, adds a bit of excitement to the end-game.

2. the cards are numbered so that all the 'move 3's will go first, then 'move 2', 'move 1', 'backup', 'turn X'. so to speed things along you can just announce 'any move 3s?' have them move, 'any turn 2s?' etc... then anyone with turn left, right or u-turn can do their thing. if multiple people have the same move card and they're relatively close together on the board, then you can check the numbers on the cards. this helps the game move a bit faster.

3. no 'playing nice' here, it's all about the pushing and shoving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: the answers to your questions #2 and #3 both pertain to the 3 digit number that's at the top of each card. Each card has a unique number, and it's true that all the Move 3 cards have a higher 3-digit number than all the Move 2 cards, etc.

As was said above, everyone flips over their card for the register phase you're on. Whoever has the highest 3-digit code on their card goes first, but the play does not go clockwise after that -- whoever has the next-highest 3-digit code goes next, and so on.

Also as mentioned above, knowing that all the Move 3's have higher numbers than other cards makes the gameplay faster for the reasons he gave.

Finally the answer about whether a robot in front of yours gets pushed or not all depends on that 3-digit code on the cards. If your code is higher, then you push the robot in front of you. Later, the robot in front of you makes his move. Conversely, if the robot in front of you has a higher code than yours, then he moves out of your way before you make your move.

Either way, there's NO leap-frogging. Intentionally pushing a robot is a great way to really mess up the rest of that robot's turn as he's no longer where he expected to be when his move was programmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lesulm1 wrote:

2. Everyone turns up a card (say register 3), then starting with the highest numbered card, that player executes the move then the other players in clock-wise order.

This is incorrect. You can play it this way if you want, but you need to check the rules again I think. The post after yours is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.