Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
"Recon..."
Oblt. Karl Bauer, of the 2/182 Panzer Grenadiers, smirked to himself as the report of the general whereabouts of the Russian 93rd Recon crackled through his headset while he peered out of the scopes of his Marder. Recon by fire was more like it. The 93rd had been reported as fielding a compliment of T-80's and Spigot armed BMP-2's along with their BDRM-2 armored cars. They'd make quick work of their Marders if they ran into them. Still their only job was to somehow disengage themselves from the Russians along with the 1/613 Panzer. Perhaps they wouldnt run into them at all. All they had to do was slip by to their lines and hope the Russians were racing towards theirs...

Junior Lieutenant Nikolay Alexander nodded appreciatively as he received his orders sitting in his T-80 command tank. He switched radio channels to the net his 93rd Recon was on and repeated what he'd just received.
"All units, all units, set course due west, we are to crush the Germans, then we will fall back to our own lines. Air support is to follow soon."

Motoring along to the west Karl was startled when the commander of the 1/613 set up on a hill to the East reported that the T-80's had stopped and reversed course, heading towards the same point Karl's forces were. No sight of the BMP's or BDRM's however.
"Unload the infantry, get them set up in defensive positions, protect our egress point. Get the Milan teams set up."

Once the infantry were in good blocking positions Karl maneuvered his Marders into defensive positions, with his lone Panzermorser platoon set far behind. He knew the Marder's 20mm cannon would not do much, their vehicles had not yet been armed with the Milan AT launcher capability. Regardless, he ordered them all to load AP, they would not need anything else. So many things had gone wrong in this crock of a war. Karl ordered that the M48's of the 1/613 open fire as soon as possible on the T-80's. They would need all the help they could get.

Nikolay's over eager, over confident T-80's raced toward the German positions, unaware they knew of his current course. He and his troop expected to catch them in a column on the road. He was also puzzled by the sudden disappearance of the BMP-2's and BDRM's under his command. No amount of cursing could raise them on the net. Abruptly an AT missile crashed full force into the T-80 next to him. The net was flooded with the shouts of his fellow commanders searching for a target. Over the din he swore he could hear mortars falling.

Karl allowed himself a smile, they had struck first and drew blood. The Russians had blundered right into the Milan teams line of sight. As the T-80's turrets traversed back and forth he ordered the Marders to open fire. His Marders 20mm cannon barked and lanced across the engine deck of the T-80 that had been struck by the Milan and presented its rear end in the confusion. Black smoke belched out of the engine and he saw the Russian crew bailing out.
"Cut them down." he calmly instructed his gunner. The Panzermorser related that they were firing and observing hits on the BDRM armored cars. Maybe, just maybe they could pull this off.

Nikolay alternated cursing and issuing orders, losing a T-80, the cream of the tank armies was not going to go over well with his superiors. As he scanned his periscopes he caught site of his BDRM's working their way to the fight on his left. Before he could stop it, another T-80 traversed and opened fire, the round skipping against the ground and tumbling into the lead car stopping it.
"Cease fire! CEASE FIRE!" he screamed into the intercom. The offending T-80 moved away towards the Marders taking them under fire. If it hadnt been for the inexcusable gunnery that could have ended much worse. Without warning his BMP's showed up to the fight, crashing out of the woods and directly across his T-80's line of site, another T-80 loosing a round that was too close for comfort towards their own IFV.

The gunner in the lead M48 kept a steady roll call of the range going to his commander, watching with some amusement the friendly fire incidents amongst the Russians. As soon as they were in range the M48's opened fire, the T-80's presenting their rear decks to them.

Nikolay's head was shoved forward from a sudden impact, the tanker padded helmet somewhat softening the blow.
"Engine's dead, were on fire sir." Someone screamed at him. Without thinking of all the lead in the air, Nikolay threw his hatch open and jumped out of the tank. Landing hard he took off full tilt towards the nearest friendly tank. Climbing aboard he got the commander out and took over the tank. Now it became clear to him that they were under fire from both the front and from the hills to their rear. Where was that damned air support? He relayed the hill information to his compatriots and to the CAS that was inbound requesting immediate airstrikes on the hill. Nikolay's platoon was beginning to recover from the shock of the ambush and returning effective fire at the Marders that were close by while moving back. Nikolay aligned his gunner on the nearest one
"Crush them." The T-80 rocked as the 125mm projectile hurtled forward and crashed into the target.

Karl witnessed the destruction of one of his Marders, one moment it was there firing, the next it was a ball of flame. No survivors, just a twisted burning hulk where a combat team used to be. The arrival of the BMP's and BDRM's was an unwelcome development to say the least.
"Feur, feur!" He urged his men. The T-80's began to fall back to use their superior range an unsettling prospect.

The 57th AHR's attack choppers had already picked up the offending German held hill's coordinates over the net and were now setting up well behind them. The M48's oblivious to the new threat continued to take the T-80's under largely ineffectual fire. Suddenly their world erupted as the Hind's Shturm missiles found their mark.

The reports of sudden tank losses on the hill marked the beginning of the end and Karl knew it. No one knew what had caused the losses. All he could do was stand firm hoping for a miracle. No air support was available, it was needed elsewhere he was told. His infantry had lured and ambushed a BDRM in the open and scored hits. His Marders continued to fire and registered hits on another T-80 slowing its tactical retreat. Another Marder turned into fire and molten metal as a 125mm screamed through it. Taking a deep breath Karl made a tough call
"Marders, vorwarts!"
This wasnt supposed to be how it ends, Marders charging into the teeth of T-80's but he had no other options. Keeping the enemy within striking distance was his only choice. His Marder lurched forward and the others moved with him. All at once his world turned white, orange and then black as Spigot missiles slammed into the Marder beside him and his own mount simultaneously.

A pair of BMP's had detached themselves and began launching Spigot missiles as well at the remaining M48's on the hill registering hits. From out of the sky an Su-25 Frogfoot screamed down lancing the hills with 30mm cannon fire and rockets destroying the remaining tanks. Nikolay noticed the sudden slack in German fire and ordered the remaining German troops be finished off. The Panzermorser and infantry were quickly dealt with as they attempted to withdraw.

Nikolay sat in his open turret as his troops turned toward the East he observed with some satisfaction the inky black roiling smoke columns surrounding him. Some his, most theirs. Communications problems and all they had done well.

Game Notes:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This is the first scenario of the game Separation, I played this solo. Neat set up mechanics. The victor is he who exits the most units off the map. The onus is on the German with fewer units to wound the Russians and get going, before the air support shows up.

The 93rd is the only Russian ground unit that saw combat, the other unit (Forgot its name) ended up rolling its set up so far north away from everything it just made a mad dash to the Russian egress point securing 7 units off the board for the Russians.

This meant the Germans had to secure some kills (Even more than if both sides make clean get aways. Looking back I realize I blundered the T-80's into the Marders and Milans range and they paid for it and I then had to pull them back (But it made for a good story rather than just a long range tank sniping scenario. Even playing myself I make mistakes! laugh ). At this point the Germans had made a fairly good account of themselves but hadnt secured enough kills to win the game so the Marders went foward and it ended poorly as you read.

The Russians, thanks to the Chaos table also suffered not one but TWO cases of friendly fire per the SSR but nothing too drastic.

The M48's on the hill...well they are an old tank and pretty much stink compared to the T-80's saving rolls but still managed to light one T-80 up.

The Hinds entering were the final nail in the proverbial coffin. Their AT missile stand off range is INSANE. The lone AA German infantry couldnt reach them yet they could at a hover reach the M48's with impunity. The Frogfoot finishing them off was icing on the cake pretty much, the AA soldiers scoring a hit but the jet out flying it on his saving roll.

Hope you enjoyed reading, sorry it is so long, but there was a story there as I played and I had to get it to 'paper' so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! I really enjoyed the narrative you laid in. Although I've only played a few times solo WaS is becoming one of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
Great report! I really enjoyed the narrative you laid in. Although I've only played a few times solo WaS is becoming one of my favorite games.

You must mean WaW, right? WaS would be War at Sea, no? ... a great game to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, the report is fantastic, Luftwaffe. Thanks for doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Scott and Mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.