Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know where I could get a copy of rules as to how the game is played? I picked up a second-hand copy that was minus this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the road in my RV until July. I have the game at home in New Hampshire. The rule book is there, I'm sure. Until then I can sort of tell you.

Was the egg timer in the box? You need that.

You draw a card and decide which of the options you want to go for. You can make it general or specific. Are there five or six columns? In any case, draw that many cards and announce the category. The categories go across the top of the paper.

Then draw letters. They go at the end of each row, down the side of the paper.

So you're writing down, let's say, the name of a President that starts with a B, F, R, T, and W. And the name of a Movie that starts with those same five letters. Etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember whether scoring is just one point for each correct answer, or whether it's some multiple. I'm sure that you get a point even if everyone in the game writes down the same word for a category and letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I'm on the road in my RV until July. I have the game at home in New Hampshire. The rule book is there, I'm sure. Until then I can sort of tell you.

Was the egg timer in the box? You need that.

You draw a card and decide which of the options you want to go for. You can make it general or specific. Are there five or six columns? In any case, draw that many cards and announce the category. The categories go across the top of the paper.

Then draw letters. They go at the end of each row, down the side of the paper.

So you're writing down, let's say, the name of a President that starts with a B, F, R, T, and W. And the name of a Movie that starts with those same five letters. Etc.

Unfortunately I can't remember whether scoring is just one point for each correct answer, or whether it's some multiple. I'm sure that you get a point even if everyone in the game writes down the same word for a category and letter.

Very good, doing that from memory. Here are some other notes:
1) The (*) letter is a wild letter, so answers may begin with any letter, and do not need to be the "same" letter for each answer.
2) If you have score sheets in your copy of the game, there is a Scoring Table area, where you place a checkmark matching correct answers in the playing area. The scoring is done by squaring the number of correct answers (checkmarks) both horizontal and vertical, and adding all the squared numbers together. If you don't have score sheets, count the correct answers in each of the five columns (the Categories/Classes), and square the number of correct answers by column. Do the same for the five rows (Initial Letters), and total these sub-scores for a final score. For side information: the rows (horizontal) give a "General Score," while the columns (vertical) give a "Special Score." These equate to "breadth of knowledge" and "depth of knowledge." Each player receives score credit for each correct answer, even if other players have the same answer.
3) To begin the game, each player, in turn, draws a card to determine the subject matter topics (until five are drawn). Always select one Class of subject matter from each card (these are for the columns of your score sheet); selecting a Category is optional (if the card lists Categories), at the choice of the person drawing that card. When the subjects are determined, players draw Initial Letters (from face-down supply). Each player writes the same Class/Category information in the same five columns of their separate score sheets, and then the same Initial Letters on the five rows.

Hope this helps. If you need more info, ask again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Gerald. Thanks for helping me out. I had a vague memory that scores were squared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had this game since it was published and enjoyed it a lot. Haven't played it in recent years, but it's the best of its type, I think. The 3M company published some quality Bookshelf Games for a while. Their mancala game Oh-Wa-Ree is another we've enjoyed over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heine
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and game on.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the info guys. The other 3M I really want to run across (other than Jati of course) is Acquire. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vormwald1 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the info guys. The other 3M I really want to run across (other than Jati of course) is Acquire. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I found a used copy of Acquire, and it does deserve its reputation. Good luck -- I'm sure there are some more out there.

My copy of Acquire is in a more standard cardboard Bookshelf Game box, published by Avalon Hill. My copies of Oh-Wa-Ree and Facts in Five are in the fancier pebble-finish boxes that I believe were the original releases from 3M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.