Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Cthulu Mythos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm eagerly awaiting for my copy of Eldritch Horror to arrive.
I'm not familiar with Lovecraft or the Cthulu mythos and I'd really want to get into the theme of the game.

Can anyone recommend some quick reads to get an overview enough to appreciate the theme of this game?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here area couple of discussions from the Cthulhu Wars forum aimed specifically at this...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001731/homework-read-for-my...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/991398/reading-recommendatio...

Some recommendations on these discussions are for good books to buy/download, and some are for specific stories. One of them has a series of stories introducing each great old one. In one discussion, I recommended a whole series of books from Chaosium that covers pre- and post-Lovecraft stories about the different great old ones. So you have options depending on how deep you want to get.

Also, check out the H P Lovecraft Literary Podcast. The hosts go through Lovecraft works chronologically, and offer fun/interesting commentary. It's an entertaining option if you want to go through the canon, and since the stories are mostly short the homework for each episode is manageable.

Happy reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
Canada
Ridgeway
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/chrono.aspx
Here are the complete works of H.P.Lovecraft... I suggest reading The Call of Cthulhu and The Dunwich Horror especially!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are probably "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and "The Dunwich Horror".

If you want to see a movie that really captures the spirit of Lovecraft, watch "Dagon".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
So I'm eagerly awaiting for my copy of Eldritch Horror to arrive.
I'm not familiar with Lovecraft or the Cthulu mythos and I'd really want to get into the theme of the game.

Can anyone recommend some quick reads to get an overview enough to appreciate the theme of this game?

Thanks.

Here are the complete stories HPL wrote.

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

Note however many other writers also added to the Mythos.

OD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer Dad
United States
Ballston Spa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always suggest to people "The Colour Out of Space". Like all Lovecraft tales it is a first-person narrative as he investigates a mysterious occurrence and at the end everything is back to normal and only he knows the truth. The story is short and very entertaining. In my opinion, a true staple is "Shadows over Innsmouth" (which if you watch the movie "Dagon" you'll get the idea). I enjoy "Call of Chuthlu" but all the action happens via the main character reading letters and newspaper clippings. Reading CoC is a must if you want to start a RPG champaign.
Lastly, check out YouTube- there's a 2011 B&W "Call of Chuthlu" movie and a serial called "ShadowBound" made just last year (both are phenomenal!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dunwich Horror is my favourite (so far), as it features everything you would expect and want from a Lovecraftian tale.

The Rats in the Walls is another good first step, if you are looking for a shorter story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.