Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
051276 wrote:
And?

First clashes with Hasbro!

If GZ applied for a Community Trade Mark within the EU, other trademark holders who collide with GZs trademark application are informed and must respond.

This could lead to the deletion of Hasbro's trademark on Heroquest in the affected EU countries. Simply registering a trademark is worthless, you must have products in stream or the intent to sell them etc., to enforce trademark rights.

I'm curious how this will turn out...

Btw: If this gets through they have the trademark in the EU (28 countries) and can enforce the seizure of similar goods within the EU...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
It seems a CTM does not necessarily apply to all Europe, you can select countries. So they might have left Germany and UK out.

I think the CTM is all or nothing.

I've looked it up. Their application appears in the German Patent and Trademark Office und in the UK's IPO.

See here:
https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/trefferliste
and here:
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tmtext/Results
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:

Quote:
This could lead to the deletion of Hasbro's trademark on Heroquest in the affected EU countries. Simply registering a trademark is worthless, you must have products in stream or the intent to sell them etc., to enforce trademark rights.

Not true, at least in-so-far as it is a weeee bit more complex than that.

Yes, regard could lead...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
051276 wrote:
And?

AND?

AND?

And....
Popcorn.

Thats and. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Yes you are right, I misunderstood some wording.blush

I don't see it in the UK one... but maybe that's just me.

Should be the first entry, with the Heroquest Classic logo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to get awesome.

Don't hog all the snacks, J.R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
This is going to get awesome.

Don't hog all the snacks, J.R.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Cockell
United Kingdom
Weston Super Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no background in this area, apart from what I have learned from following this story from late last year, but...

Doesn't having a pre-existing product with a registered Trademark from another country (America in this case) have an impact on the decisions over whether to grant a new product the same or a similar trademark?

If so it could mean Moon Design are going to get tied up in legal wranglings again, just as the long-awaited Guide to Glorantha comes out, and as we enter Convention Season!

GameZone! angryangry

My follow up query is - if GZ were awarded the Trademark, what impact could that have on Moon Design selling their product line in the EU?

Plus Space Crusade? Really? You want to take on Games Workshop as well? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psychman wrote:
I have no background in this area, apart from what I have learned from following this story from late last year, but...

Doesn't having a pre-existing product with a registered Trademark from another country (America in this case) have an impact on the decisions over whether to grant a new product the same or a similar trademark?

If so it could mean Moon Design are going to get tied up in legal wranglings again, just as the long-awaited Guide to Glorantha comes out, and as we enter Convention Season!

GameZone! angryangry

My follow up query is - if GZ were awarded the Trademark, what impact could that have on Moon Design selling their product line in the EU?

Well, since its seems to be specifically for:
Heroquest Classic 25th

I think they will be a factor.

I think they named it specifically like that to try and circumvent current IPs and TMs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Cockell
United Kingdom
Weston Super Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
Psychman wrote:

GameZone! angryangry

Well, since its seems to be specifically for:
Heroquest Classic 25th

I think they will be a factor.

I think they named it specifically like that to try and circumvent current IPs and TMs

We'll see. Hopefully, from the view of a Moon Design fan, part of me would prefer it to do so as to keep MD free to get on with and continue selling their own stuff both over here and on the Continent as well as the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they should have applied for Heroquest Classic 26th....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this coming. We knew they were likely to try another end run maneuver.

But what effect does it have with non-EU backers?

Will this turn into just a revenge kick to blockade Moon Design's Hero Quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

Will this turn into just a revenge kick to blockade Moon Design's Hero Quest?

Or maybe to get more "leverage" on negotations with MD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Sperling
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox wrote:
Ummmmm... as I know you are a fan I cannot understand why you might be happy or excited about this..

Just to make one thing clear. I'm not a fan of GZ nor their Heroquest game and I haven't backed it.
If at all I'm a fan of Space Crusade and the Stephen Baker designs in general.
Btw: The application for the Space Crusade trademark is old news and it sends cold shivers down my spine whenever I hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
AON DE GENG!! ALAAF!!
badge
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see people on BGG are having similar doubts about GZ as people over at YeOldeInn.com do. I never believed GZ's claims to have a trademark on HQ, or any sort of rights to sell HQ related products. They claim (or rather HE claimed, as GZ is just 1 spanish guy) all sorts of stuff, but never produced any proof of it. Shady if anything.
Also their KS got pulled on day 1, then they tried a Spanish KS site, which also got pulled quickly.
They succeeded on a third crowdfunding site. I seriously doubt those backers will ever see their money again or any product ever.

Can't wait to see how this all ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Emery
msg tools
mb
konsum24 wrote:

Checking that link now shows a second application for HeroQuest Classic without the 25th part. The logo is the same but with the 25th removed as well.

Also interesting is that the second registration is by Ludofilia S.L., which appears to be a new company founded in April with Dionisio listed as the only officer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The plot thickens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOtherRurik wrote:
Also interesting is that the second registration is by Ludofilia S.L., which appears to be a new company founded in April with Dionisio listed as the only officer.

http://en.datocapital.com/LUDOFILIA-SL.html

Quote:
The andalusian organization called Ludofilia S.L., dedicated to manufacture of medical and surgical equipment and instruments and orthopaedic devices, in the postal code 41003, inscribed in the trade register of Sevilla, is constituted as a corporation with address for tax purpose in the Antonia Saenz street of Sevilla, with "sociedad limitada" as company type and whose main activity is in the country of Spain, and the province of Sevilla, Andalusia. We have information about 1 current position. This business had one Sole Administrator (a man) after its formation and has been visited recently four times in the last year and three times in the last month from three different countries.

Wut?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
TheOtherRurik wrote:

Quote:
The andalusian organization called Ludofilia S.L., dedicated to manufacture of medical and surgical equipment and instruments and orthopaedic devices, in the postal code 41003, inscribed in the trade register of Sevilla, is constituted as a corporation with address for tax purpose in the Antonia Saenz street of Sevilla, with "sociedad limitada" as company type and whose main activity is in the country of Spain, and the province of Sevilla, Andalusia. We have information about 1 current position. This business had one Sole Administrator (a man) after its formation and has been visited recently four times in the last year and three times in the last month from three different countries.

Wut?

Sounds like more shoddy paperwork from GZ. Sounds like he accidentally registered it as a medical equipment manufacturer instead of games. A loduphile is a person obsessed with games, so I'm sure that's a clerical or submission error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sjeng wrote:
Good to see people on BGG are having similar doubts about GZ as people over at YeOldeInn.com do. I never believed GZ's claims to have a trademark on HQ, or any sort of rights to sell HQ related products. They claim (or rather HE claimed, as GZ is just 1 spanish guy) all sorts of stuff, but never produced any proof of it. Shady if anything.
Also their KS got pulled on day 1, then they tried a Spanish KS site, which also got pulled quickly.
They succeeded on a third crowdfunding site. I seriously doubt those backers will ever see their money again or any product ever.

Can't wait to see how this all ends.

I'm with you there. I never fully acknowledged that GZ had a trademark, since they lied about everything else. I too can't wait to see how this blows up in their face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOtherRurik wrote:
konsum24 wrote:

Checking that link now shows a second application for HeroQuest Classic without the 25th part. The logo is the same but with the 25th removed as well.

Well they stated they were also going to sell a game called Heroquest Classic so this actually makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
col_w wrote:
TheOtherRurik wrote:

Quote:

Wut?

Sounds like more shoddy paperwork from GZ. Sounds like he accidentally registered it as a medical equipment manufacturer instead of games. A loduphile is a person obsessed with games, so I'm sure that's a clerical or submission error.

When I read something wrong in wikipedia, I usually think that wikipedia got that bit wrong, not that things are really that way.

You say that datocapital says that Ludofilia is a medical related business and that is a clear mistake of GZ in their papers. I would bet that is a clear mistake from datocapital in their data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
vica8081 wrote:

When I read something wrong in wikipedia, I usually think that wikipedia got that bit wrong, not that things are really that way.

You say that datocapital says that Ludofilia is a medical related business and that is a clear mistake of GZ in their papers. I would bet that is a clear mistake from datocapital in their data.

pinkymadigan wrote:
(...) so I'm sure that's a clerical or submission error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.