Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Treated as a hero figure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless otherwise specified, anything treated as a hero (and therefore not actually a hero) can only be affected by monster attacks, hero abilities, and Overlord cards that target a hero.

Can anyone link me the official ruling on these. I believe i saw the discussion somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no official ruling on that, as official is only what is on the rules, cards or in official FAQ. That said people ask FFG trough "rule query" form on FFG site, and this was asked, and answer was added to unofficial FAQ posted there: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Descent_Second_Edition_Un...

Quote:
Q: According to rules, only 3 effects can affect Characters Treated As Heroes: monster attacks, hero abilities, and Overlord cards that target a hero. What rules allows using skills (e.g. Oath of Honor) with them? Can monster actions (e.g. Throw) affect them?

A: Since that is the way the rule are written, I'd be tempted to say that's the way to play it. However, the intent with that was very clear in that, Skill cards and monster abilities are able to affect "characters treated as heroes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Areinu wrote:
There is no official ruling on that, as official is only what is on the rules, cards or in official FAQ.

Well, that's not entirely true. The rules for familiars on page 18 of the core rulebook do say this:

"Some familiars, such as the Reanimate, are treated as figures (as indicated by its Familiar card). These familiars block line of sight and movement, but are considered friendly figures for hero movement. They may be targeted and affected by monster attacks, hero abilities, and Overlord cards that target a hero. Similar to monsters, if they are required to make an attribute test, they automatically fail."

Similarly, the Labyrinth of Ruin rules say this concerning Allies on page 6:
"Similar to lieutenants, allies are represented on the map by ally tokens, but are treated as hero figures for the purposes of hero abilities, monster abilities and attacks, and Overlord cards. Allies have attributes and perform attribute tests just like heroes."

Regarding general NPC tokens and the like, you can quibble about how official the ruling is if you want. It does officially work this way at least for some tokens. Actual FFG employees who work on Descent 2E have said that it works this way for all tokens. But if you prefer to play in a world where the term "treated as a hero" is not consistently applied to all tokens who are given the trait, that's your business. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if you prefer to play in a world where the term "treated as a hero" is not consistently applied to all tokens who are given the trait, that's your business

Based on rulebook excerpts you quoted ally tokens treated as heroes are affected by 4 things:
1) hero abilities
2) monster abilities
3) monster attacks
4) overlord cards

and familiars are treated as heroes by 3 things:
1) hero abilities
2) monster attacks
3) overlord cards

That's different, so not consistent.

Now, there are other tokens that can be treated as heroes. Now you say that actual FFG emplyees who work on Descent 2E have said that it works that way for all NPC tokens. Which way? There are 2 ways that you listed. And which Descent 2E emplyees? What exactly have they said? Can you quote it?

The only quote I found is the quoute I posted. I couldn't find any quote from D2E employees nor in rulebook that would say that tokens treated as heroes other than allies and familiars are to be treated certain way. Obviously everyone would like for all tokens to be consistently treated the same, but even allies and familiars are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Areinu wrote:
Based on rulebook excerpts you quoted ally tokens treated as heroes are affected by 4 things:
1) hero abilities
2) monster abilities
3) monster attacks
4) overlord cards

and familiars are treated as heroes by 3 things:
1) hero abilities
2) monster attacks
3) overlord cards

That's different, so not consistent.

The official FAQ under Familiars states:

Quote:
Q: Can monster abilities that are not attacks affect familiars that are treated as figures?

A: Yes, any hero or monster ability, monster attack, or Overlord card that targets a hero can also target a familiar that is treated as a figure. Quest special rules that refer to heroes do not include familiars that are treated as figures unless specifically stated.

So I think the 2 treatments are identical, they just didn't explicitly include monster abilities in the original rules. By extension it seems reasonable to assume the same applies to agents, villagers etc (unless explicitly stated otherwise of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.