United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drum Roll for Dummies!!

Things to Easily get wrong/overlook

I think I now have this game completely nailed rules wise, it's not a rules heavy game - but boy can it trip you up with it's little rule ambiguities and the gameplay is all the better for playing it correctly as the awesome designer intended!.

Here we go -I'm sure somebody will benefit ( I hope) and I'm sure some of this stuff will be on some other list /FAQ somewhere , but if this helps just one gamer then great stuff.

Please feel free to comment - and add anything you can think of . Thank you .

Negative points:

Question:
If (for example) in Show 1 a player does not have enough coins to pay wages, does their cube go negative points? Ie 4 below zero spot for example if 4 coins short?.
Rulebook says you can get negative points, but no facility for this on the board.

Answer:
Same as when you get more points than what you can count on the point-track, you simply carry on, so yes you do move your point-counter below zero.
For practical reasons - put the cube in question next to the board - however many increments back from zero.

Likewise - if you score past 50, move your cube forward around the track and place one of your player discs on the zero spot to show it's plus 50.
----------

Region bonus tile rule.

Question:

Regions bonus tile (example) :
If I am performing in Moscow ( tamers and magicians) , if I had 4 tamer personnel and 2 magicians - would I score 6 prestige points?
ie do you score 2 points for each set of two performers on the region tile or a max score of 2 per set of performers?.

Answer:

Yes - in example above score 6 prestige points ( you score "each set "of two performers matching the region tile )

----------
Perfect show bonus and "flipping"

Question:

perfect show - you can take the reward depicted on the 3rd cube slot, can you "flip" that same performer in that same show?, or is it a case of take resources OR flip for prestige points?.

Answer:
Take resources OR flip for points (and possible lower wage after next show). Not both.
----------

Investment cards

Question:

3 sets of 2 cards (same) that I wonder if you can use due to creating unusual circumstances:

A) Unblock Action ,
if you have both these cards you could play both same turn and thus place all 3 of your player discs on cube resource area ( potentially all 3 on top of each other for same colour?!).
Is this correct?

Answer:
Yes

B) fire a performer,
if you have both cards, you can fire two performers in one turn ? ( seem crazy to do so..but?)
Is this correct?

Answer:
Yes (but we have actually never fired any performer, so the card seems pointless to us).

C) this is the maddest one with most implications "double vote"

If you had both cards in a 4 player game and you were also "start player" - your vote could count over the other 3 players all voting the other way?.
Example:
3 opponents all vote to carry on playing in round 6, I vote to start a show, I use both double vote cards to equal at 3 votes each....then use my starting player status to swing the vote my way!.
Is this correct?.

Answer:
Yes, double vote is really just +1 vote, but having 2 means your vote counts as 3 votes.
----------

Performers in your Circus
Question:

You are allowed to have duplicate performers in your circus?
Example: 2 invisible men or even 3 x strong men?.
Answer:
Yes, no problem with that.

----------
Above answers / Clarifications accredited to Lars Wagner Hansen , very helpful, thank you Lars :-).
----------

Now for some common mistakes easily made:

Wrong:
As long as you have a cube on a performer - it's safe from being fired come show time .

Correct:
You can place cubes onto a performer in any order - left spot, middle or right spot , ( poor performance, good performance, outstanding performance) this can be useful to maximise your two cubes each turn restriction , BUT - come show time - a cube has to be on the left most cube spot so the performer at the very minimum does a "poor" performance.
Even with two cubes - one middle, one on right spot - that performer would get fired!! - they have not performed and you must give them the boot!, you still pay their full wage as compensation and lose 1 prestige point for a performer being fired.
----------

Wrong:
At show time - paying in a cube to a performer to "negate" the salary cost - you don't need to pay salary to that performer this show ( picture of cube with pointing hand to a money bag with a red "x" on it).

Correct:
You can use the negate paying a salary cost against ANY performer in your circus - so naturally use it against the most expensive.

----------

Wrong:
A trailer earned from a performer ( at show time) is allocated to that performer

Correct:
You can use the trailer on any performer you don't already have a trailer on.

----------

Wrong:
You can have more than one caravan on a performer and you can move caravans to other performers when it suits.

Correct:
Only ever one caravan per performer, it can never be moved and stays on a performer even when flipped - which cancels future wage payment due to caravan worth 1 and flipped performer always costing wage of 1.

----------
Wrong:
Selling tickets - 2 player discs ( for example) placed on one turn, started on number 3, end ( through two movements) on number 5 - just take 5 coins.

Correct: in example above - you would get 9 coins! , 4 coins going from 3-4 and 5 going from 4-5 . You add them together.
Also remember your cube goes from spots 2-3-4-5-3-4-5

Note:
Once second set (3-5) your cube has reached number 5 , you cannot sell any more tickets until your cube is re-set to ticket start spot after a show.
Ticket office is CLOSED for you - go away!
----------

Wrong:
Agents and Personal assistants from the personnel deck - we used to play so you could use them all on your turn - swapping and "birthing" new cubes for fun lol

Correct:
You can have as many Agents and personal assistants as you want but only use up to one Agent and one Personal assistant on your turn ( there are 5 of each in the personnel deck).
----------
Wrong:
Performer types - I think at one point few years ago we overlooked performer type rules in the "hiring area" - we just never put out ( for example) two strong men or two trapeze artists - thinking this was the correct interpretation of the rules.

Correct:
2 player game - 3 performers in hiring area ALL different "types" eg bizarre, juggler, tamer etc - all must be different.
In 3-4 player games a MAX of TWO performer "types" the same in the hiring area, so for example in a 3 player game ( 4 cards in hiring area ) it could be 2 tamers and 2 bizarre or any combo as long as never more than two the same.
----------
End game scoring:

Excellent Question posed by Steve "Excellent tastes in games" Carey.

Another clarification please, this one for Game End:

If a player has the most performers (Largest Show) and 10 or more performers (Large Troupe), would they score prestige for both (so 5 + 4 = 9 prestige)?

Same cumulative score for personnel (Well Organized and Most Organized)?

Answer: by George Papageorgiou - thanks George :-)

You score for all conditions that apply .

So 9 prestige in first example and 9 for second example, or 18 if all four conditions apply on same player and so on.
--------------------------------------------

Easy things to miss

Turn track:
After a round and cubes have been assigned to cards the very first thing you should do is MOVE THE TURN TRACK DISC FORWARD ONE SPACE very easy to forget to move it, then someone asks the question has it moved?, no one is really sure and you could end playing same round twice or indeed skip a round.
make it a "routine" that one player that side of the board does it as the very first thing the beginning of a new round!.

Ofcoarse don't forget to move the show marker disc forward after a show ( not so hard to forget this one ).

----------------

Discount tokens:
Don't forget ANY personnel or performer card not "hired" in the previous round - get a discount token placed on them at start of new round - do this FIRST before any new cards put out so you don't get mixed up, if (example) a performers hiring cost is 4 and it NOW has accumulated 4 discount tokens on it, it can be hired for free this turn - but if not hired - it is "discarded" at beginning of next turn as no performer can go below zero cost!.

-------------------

After a "show" - remember ALL personnel and performers in the hiring areas ( all cards for hire) get discarded and fresh new ones put out -( following performer hiring area rules concerning performer "types" in hiring area).
Any discount token on a performer discarded go to stock area.

-------------------

Remember you are allowed a max hand limit of 2 investment cards BUT this can increase at a ratio of 1:1 for every Magician in your circus ( doesn't matter if the magicians have cubes on or are flipped or whatever) .
So if you have (example) 3 Magicians in your Circus - you can have a hand limit of 5 Investment cards.

--------------------

Bizarre Performers behave differently for Wages and prestige points if flipped.
Wage for one Bizarre in your Circus is 1 coin, if you have two Bizarre in your Circus they now cost 2 coins each in wages ( so 4 coins in wages ) , if you have 3 Bizarre performers - then they cost 3 EACH and so on.

Likewise - when you "flip" a Bizarre performer, they are worth prestige points equal to the amount of Bizarre performers in your circus.
Example : you have 4 Bizarre performers and "flip" two of them in a show - you score 8 prestige points total for the two flipped Bizarre performers.
Later on (if no more Bizarre performers added ) the other two still score 4 prestige each when flipped .
----------------------
When "your circus" is putting on a show, place player discs on cards that have performed - so you can keep track of cards yet to perform and not have a performer perform twice! ( use your player discs and even your opponents for this - and/or discs from a colour not in play).

This helps a lot, it's a visual reminder, because you never normally put on a show in order of how your cards ( performers) are positioned in front of you, rather you put on the show to get ( example) a cube off one performer to pay a cube to another performer yet to perform - so as to get money by paying in the cube etc etc. these are often scattered and so you could perform card 1, then 6 , then 8, then 3 - easy to lose track, so mark the card as that performer performs!.

-----------------------

If playing a 4 player game , remember to have two experienced ( if possible) players seated next to new players, not only to help them - but come show time and end game you can half the time taken by scoring in two "teams' .

------------------------

All the promo material for this game works great " ringmaster expansion" from geek store is something you will always play with IMHO , "mini expansion" direct from Artipia is great to add more variety, if you can get the kick starter cards bundle - brilliant, adds loads of variety.

The only thing pretty useless is the "salary trackers" - nice idea , but in practice no one is certain they have added in everything or reduced everything when they should have - caravans, flipped performers, fired performers, new performers hired.
No way you can rely on that little tracker and to be fair , it takes a minute max to tot up an entire circus salary cost even at last show when it's big and has numerous discounts.

--------------------------------

This is a long game, but it's a brilliant game - the theme came first and the game built around it, it shows - it's dripping in theme and your circus evolves before you.

Have a break after the second show for a snack and drink - it makes all the difference! Look on it as an "interlude".

--------------------------------

There are a few great player aids with all the card effects on in the files section of Drum Roll on boardgamegeek , well worth downloading and printing off .

----------------------------------
Please take the time to rate this excellent game!
----------------------------------
I hope this helps a fellow board gamer get the quite excellent Drum Roll nailed! :-).

Image courtesy of Ocelena. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sotiris Tsantilas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Have a break after the second show for a snack and drink - it makes all the difference! Look on it as an "interlude"

Nice touch!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Note:
Once second set (3-5) your cube has reached number 5 , you cannot sell any more tickets until your cube is re-set to ticket start spot after a show.
Ticket office is CLOSED for you - go away!

If you are desperate for more mony, you can always choose to pass, and earn 1 coin eah time you pass.
Quote:

Remember you are allowed a max hand limit of 2 investment cards BUT this can increase at a ratio of 1:1 for every Magician in your circus ( doesn't matter if the magicians have cubes on or are flipped or whatever) .
So if you have (example) 3 Magicians in your Circus - you can have a hand limit of 5 Investment cards.

Som of the Magicians (Cabinet Magician & Space Bender) in the expansions lets you have +2 Cards on hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
Excellent Question posed by Steve "Excellent tastes in games" Carey.

- it is uncanny sometimes how tastes in games align so well.

Seriously, thank you for the effort in putting this together Mark - very helpful to have it all in one place (I hope you plan on editing and updating as new items come up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:

Seriously, thank you for the effort in putting this together Mark - very helpful to have it all in one place (I hope you plan on editing and updating as new items come up).

Yes Steve, that's the plan, hopefully people will add to this thread over time and I can then incorporate it all together in one handy place

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Libonati Rocha
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Owww congrats

But you should do a file (.pdf) and upload it! I would enjoy have this list as a remember when playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
libonati wrote:
Owww congrats

But you should do a file (.pdf) and upload it! I would enjoy have this list as a remember when playing!

Bruno - I'm on it!

I am scouring all rules questions and FAQ on the net to compile a list without duplicating stuff - and kinda put it in some sort of order.

Be nice for everyone that wishes to have it in there game box, can have it.
Will run to a few pages I think.

I have an idea that if more people got to play the game exactly correct, it would be a better gaming experience and the game receive higher ratings.

Even when I thought we had ironed out every little rule - we were still playing a few wrong and now that we ( famous last words) have it just right, it plays amazing, so much so my wife and another gaming couple keep asking to play it and I have increased our personal rating of the game to a heady 9.2 ( from 8)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I think the rules of Drum Roll are pretty straightforward and it's not that hard to get them right. So I'm wondering how "common" some mistakes you listed really are. But maybe your write-up is helpful for someone else and then it's a good thing you did it.

But it's not really helpful when you go over "common mistakes" and remind players of a rule in a way that is misleading:

biffta wrote:
In 3-4 player games a MAX of TWO performer "types" the same in the hiring area, so for example in a 3 player game ( 4 cards in hiring area ) it could be 2 tamers and 2 bizarre or any combo as long as never more than two the same.

I know what you're referring to but if someone really happens to be struggling with the rules then this might sound to him/her like you couldn't have more than two performer types in the hiring area during setup. So your clarification is more ambious than the actual rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing you had listed that I'm confused on is the double movement for Ticket Sales. The rules say to resolve everything after all tokens have been placed, so it would seem that you only collect the money once. Or am I mistaken about the resolving after? There doesn't really seem to be a need for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
The only thing you had listed that I'm confused on is the double movement for Ticket Sales. The rules say to resolve everything after all tokens have been placed, so it would seem that you only collect the money once. Or am I mistaken about the resolving after? There doesn't really seem to be a need for it.

Hi Darrell,
It's a while since I played. Please be more specific, so I don't confuse you with the wrong answer

Ticket sales pays out when resolving actions, and one for each disc placed there. I think ( if memory correct) that you can place a maximum of two of your discs there per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I sussed out my issue. I was MOVING the cube when placing the disc, but only collecting money during resolution. If I also do not move the cube until resolution, I would get both monies as described. I wasn't following the resolve after to the letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.