Subject: Monarchy in FaF + WaW, any thoughts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Larsen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey all.

Me and my friends have been playing FaF for a while, and just recently bought the WaW expansion with the social policies and new government bonuses.

Our experinces so fare are that (in 2v2 and 3v3 games, havnt played 4v4 yet) Culture has been made too strong with the new game machanics. What we have experiences so fare is that a player going for Monarchy + Metalcasting + Mysticsm + Urban Development is pretty much impossible to beat.

The scenario in our games have almost every single time been a combo between making your Capital into a farm city, where you with the right combo can get up to 20 culture tokens per turn (just from that city!)

Example:
1st Capital action: harvest Insence and spend on Metalcasting (7 culture tokens)
2nd Capital action: devote city to culture.
Get 2 for Metropolis
Get 2-4 culture for Great persons
Get 2-4 for Buildings (Trading posts, libraries etc.)
Get 2 for Urban Development
Get 1-3 For a wonder

That equals a good amount of 16-22 culture tokens JUST from your Capital EVERY single turn!

How many spies do you have to cancel this combo every turn?
And this is not even counting Pasifiscm, Wonder and great person bonuses, and other cities devoting.

Any thoughts of this being to great? We decided to play a game today where we used the old Monarchy government which made it better, but we also talked about maybe nerfing the Urban Development Card.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Chul wrote:
Hey all.

Me and my friends have been playing FaF for a while, and just recently bought the WaW expansion with the social policies and new government bonuses.

Our experinces so fare are that (in 2v2 and 3v3 games, havnt played 4v4 yet) Culture has been made too strong with the new game machanics. What we have experiences so fare is that a player going for Monarchy + Metalcasting + Mysticsm + Urban Development is pretty much impossible to beat.

The scenario in our games have almost every single time been a combo between making your Capital into a farm city, where you with the right combo can get up to 20 culture tokens per turn (just from that city!)

Example:
1st Capital action: harvest Insence and spend on Metalcasting (7 culture tokens)
2nd Capital action: devote city to culture.
Get 2 for Metropolis
Get 2-4 culture for Great persons
Get 2-4 for Buildings (Trading posts, libraries etc.)
Get 2 for Urban Development
Get 1-3 For a wonder

That equals a good amount of 16-22 culture tokens JUST from your Capital EVERY single turn!

How many spies do you have to cancel this combo every turn?
And this is not even counting Pasifiscm, Wonder and great person bonuses, and other cities devoting.

Any thoughts of this being to great? We decided to play a game today where we used the old Monarchy government which made it better, but we also talked about maybe nerfing the Urban Development Card.

Any thoughts?

The game goes faster but for every kind of victories.
For example, take Russia and rush with a stack of 3 Armies (8 Units to play with new Communism), you get some free units with Military tradition and take Logistics as first Lvl 2 techs, the Culture machine is nowhere at that time (turn 3 or 4) and the player facing it would be crushed.

Each game is different from another, I think that probably your group play too defensive, which allows everyone to develop peacefuly in their corner and aim for culture.

For example, the last game I played vs Arabs with Rome was explicit. Arabs are a Cultural machine and so you are forced to react and harass them which finaly worked well and brings me Military victory when Arabs were on the last step of the Lvl 3 culture track (at turn 6 or 7).

New Monarchy is for sure a good Gov but like Feudalism is. I even think Feudalism is better because you unlock lvl 2 mounted units and you have the Incense ability on it. Monarchy is quite the same as Feudalism, but it's more researched if you need to obsolete a wonder or need to kill some units of a too strong player (mostly in 3 or 4 players game).

Urban Development is one of the less used Social Policy. Pacifism gives more bonus if you start with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.