jason m

FEDERAL WAY
Washington
msg tools
I come from heroclix and usually try to play more thematic teams so the 8 card tourney rules of this game are moderately annoying and are just too big for what I enjoy playing.

My friends and I have been using an alternate format that seems to be a lot more fun and offer interesting battles that are easier to build thematic teams with.

each player gets
20 life
4 characters
12 dice
1 action with 3 dice

So far everyone has enjoyed building themed teams and going to battle against other themed teams.

Anyone have any other formats they have been playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tourney rules are up to eight characters, so you can use a smaller team if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christensen
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Each player gets four booster packs. You open them up and that is your team of characters. We then add other dice to get us to the 20 dice limit. This forces us to try out different character combinations. Obviously some teams are better than others but we are just playing for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus far I've only drafted using a snake format (look at 4, he takes 1, I take 2, he's stuck with last one, do this 3 more times alternating who goes first).

I think it's a great way to learn a new game as if we immediately started building teams and trying them against each other 1) it takes forever since my friends and I pooled our resources and 2) the popular heroes or the ones that immediately jump out as strong are the main ones used and we never see the nifty abilities on more expensive, more situational or heroes we don't really care about.

We really don't want to get stuck in groupthink about how good or bad certain characters are because we keep fielding very similar teams and finding certain characters are bad in those situations.

I'm sure we'll get down to team construction at some point. Right now drafting and experiencing all the characters and trying different teams is super fun. Constructed feels more competitive and I don't really care about building for tournaments just yet, more interested in having fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fulmer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having equal amounts of fun playing constructed and sealed. We did 3 boosters each 15 health, only use the cards and dice you receive. Makes it harder since you can't fill in from your collection. Of course, now that I'm out of boosters I'll be playing constructed till July when the second printing comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Kerkvliet
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group just drafts a team of 6 or 8 an battles it out from there. Love how everything changes based on who is getting drafted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
ive got complete set so i just blindly take 3 sets of characters and then one person picks 1 the other picks another and the 3rd goes to pile and u cant pick them again. then we alternate who picks forst and we do it like 8-10 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My kids and I prefer to play with 10 heroes, all common to both players just like actions (so set up Quarriors style).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.