Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Play T'zolkin! Fantastic 2 player game. May end up to be your fave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bora bora over macao, but I don't care much for macao like many many others.
tigris and euphrates for some good tile placing strategic fun. t&e have stood the stest of time; these others may not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora is NOT like The Castles of Burgundy. It's a heavier brain burner from Feld and IMHO less fun.

As a CoB fan, I recommend Bruges as your next game. Scales well from 2-4 players and soon to be 5 with the upcoming expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora felt like a mess when I played it. I love Trajan, CoB, Bruges and In the Year of the Dragon. Bora Bora I'm considering trading away.

Trajan and Troyes are both excellent choices.

T&E is probably better played at 4.

In addition, the following are some excellent options for playing at 2.

Glass Road
Letters from Whitechapel
Race for the Galaxy
Le Havre
Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora is one of my favorites and I highly recommend it. I have not played with two people, but it plays great with three and with four people. I love the theme and the dice mechanic, which offers some unique offense/defense options when placing the workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also suggest looking at Russian Railroads, an awesome worker placement with a 2-player option printed on the reverse side of the 3 and 4-player side. My game group really digs this game and it has continued to be fun after repeat plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would seriously consider Letters from Whitechapel then. Very different (if quite dark) theme. It's also a completely different mechanic. Hidden movement.

Race for the Galaxy has a different feel as well. It's an excellent card based implementation of Puerto Rico, which I can see you own and enjoy, but it's markedly faster. I've played this over 100 times with my wife.

She's also very fond of Lewis & Clark which has a worker placement element, but that's more of a sideshow. The main event is card play and "hand"-building (as opposed to deckbuilding).

All 3 of these avoid typical Euro Building/Trading themes and the Worker placement mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum is a great game, but it's certainly not a "typical" dice game, no matter what typical might mean to you. You roll a die maybe 10 times in a game maximum, the dice are more used as ways to hold numbers than random number generators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao is a very good game (One of my favorites actually), but it seems to be a love it or hate it kind of game. If you like games where you have to plan in advance and don't mind taking a couple penalties towards your final score, this is a great one to have.

I like Bora Bora, though Castles of Burgundy always hits the table more than this one does. My collection is almost to the point where I need to get rid of some games, and sadly this might be one of the ones going for that reason. The gameplay is a little tighter than I would like it to be. You have three goals at any given time, and you have to fulfill one at the end of every turn, or else you miss out on getting points. To me they dictate what you have to do, and I don't like games that do that. Otherwise it's a solid game.

Trajan is my favorite of Stefan Feld's games. Although I would say that if you don't like Mancala, there's a good chance you may not like this game. Otherwise this is a game all about grabbing points wherever you can. It gives you a lot of freedom, and I really like that.

Troyes didn't go over well with my wife and I at all. Everyone seems to have a difference of opinion on this, but I don't think this game works well with 2. It's not long enough with 2 to get any kind of engine going with that number of players, and the game doesn't have that much variety unless you get the expansion, which is pretty pricey.

Didn't really care for T&E, but it's been awhile since I've played, so I don't remember why.

Quantum is an excellent game, though it is the odd apple in this bunch. It's not Euro at all. It's all about attacking other ships (dice) with your ships and claiming planets for yourself. It's like a really light version of Twilight Imperium or another space 4x game. It does play well with two though, so I think if you like this genre, you'll enjoy this game.

Overall I'd say Trajan is your best bet, considering that you enjoy Castles of Burgundy. Macao would also be a good choice if you want something a little different. The others are fairly interactive, even at 2 players, so I would keep that in mind before getting any of them.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I hated Whitechapel with a vengeance. When Jack is doing well it's so so so frustrating I wanted to smash things.

If you want a thematic game, I played Freedom: The Underground Railroad four player last night, Not sure you could have as much theme for such a sensitive topic. Not cheap, but a great cooperative (buy this and never look at Pandemic ever).

Village. Also great.

RftG has very little in common with Dominion or PR. WHy would you think they would? RftG is an extensive reworking of a card version of a part of PR, that's a LONG way detached. And it's NOT a deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Michael....

I'm on the fence on Macao due to it being out of print prices have skyrocketed... could get Trajan for same price (around $50)... it just seems steep for Macao while component quality and weight keeps Trajan's price fair at this same range.

Between the two (and the risk of not getting a copy of Macao) would you recommend?

You really can't go wrong either way. However, I would probably wait on Macao though, since it's a game you can usually get online for around $30 while it's in print. Go with Trajan for now if you don't want to pay the steep prices. Both are excellent games, but I'll admit I do enjoy Trajan more.

Also, I found Letters from Whitechapel to be excellent. It's definitely not a Euro though. It's a straight-up deduction game. Works really well with two.

And I'll echo that Race for the Galaxy won't overlap with PR or Dominion at all. If you think you and your wife can handle the iconography, it's one of the best 2p games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Macao, but it's at the top of my to play list.

In order my favourite Feld's are

Castles of Burgundy
Trajan
Bruges
In the Year of the Dragon
[big gap]
Bora Bora
Amerigo
Rialto

Games sitting on my shelf that haven't made it to the table. Notre Dame and Luna

The best comparison is Letters vs. Fury of Dracula. Letters is a pure deduction game. You either have the skills to figure out where Jack is or you don't. The rules are fairly simple, the skill is in how you manipulate the simple rules of the game. Fury of Dracula has a combat system, magic powers that let you reveal where dracula has been recently, special equipment, traps, you name it. Letters IMO feels like a Euro way of doing a deduction game, whilst Fury feels like Ameritrash. I traded away Fury after playing it once because the combat system was unnecessarily arduous. Letters from Whitechapel is the most intense game I own hands down and one of my prized possessions.

RE RFTG: It's a very different game from Dominion and Puerto Rico. Dominion is about deckbuilding, whilst RftG is about tableau building i.e. you'll have the cards out in front of you. Therefore the skills that you test in Dominion are different from RftG, there is lot more combo spotting in RftG.

They also have a very different way of planning. In Dominion, once you get really good, you can take a look at the cards on the table, develop a strategy and then play until you find out who was right, which makes it a game of almost pure strategy. By and large, you can ignore the other players until you cross the finish line. With RftG, if you set out with a set strategy in mind you almost always lose. Being good at RftG requires you to use emergent strategies with a healthy dose of tactics, which I haven't really found in any other game, and that makes it incredibly special in my eyes.

I haven't played Puerto Rico, so can't comment on the similarities, but San Juan is a much more strict PR reimplementation. RftG is an independent entity with some similar foundations. Returning to my point about Dominion strategy, PR is more or less pure rational strategy with 0 luck, whilst RftG is all about Emergent/Tactics. Very different feel to the game.

I'm still not bored of it after well over 100 games and it goes on every holiday we go on, which is another convenient feature. It's just a deck of cards with a handful of chits. It's also got one of the fastest setup and teardown times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I game with my wife weekly. Games that play well with two that keep rising up to the top are:

Race for the galaxy
Trajan (if you're into euros)
Troyes
Keyflower
Targi
Voluspa
Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 11 Stefan Feld games. I play mostly 2-player, though Feld's games are known to scale well, so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

In order of favorites, here is my opinion. Best first.

Macao - There are many more cards than will be used in a single game, so every game is different. The windrose is fun to work with - you have to combine the luck of the dice with strategy to get the cubes in the right place when you need them. Very easy to learn.

Bora Bora - Between the player boards and the aids on the main board the sequence of moves is very clear. I learned easily from the instruction book without having to watch videos or ask questions. The variability in this one comes from the order in which tiles are revealed. There are more goals tiles than needed, so not all the same ones appear each game.

In the Year of the Dragon - You have to watch what your opponents are doing in this game. You are trying to grab the best tiles before they do, so turn order is important, but you can manipulate it. I really have fun with this one.

The Castles of Burgundy - Seems to be on everyone's recommendation list. Easy and fun. Very easy to teach to someone who hasn't played it before.

Luna - Out of print and difficult to find. Variable set-up. This is another one where you have to watch your opponents. The player with the most men on a tile gets the points.

Roma - Completely different from the above games because it's a 2-player only game that plays in a short time. There are several strategies you can choose from; you don't always have to play the same way. Depends on which cards you draw.

Notre Dame - Another simple one. Very clever modular board design which changes depending on the number of players.

These last four I haven't played enough to give you a strong opinion. I had fun playing each of them, no negatives. I want to play them all many more times.

Trajan
Bruges
Rialto
Rum & Pirates

Many of Feld's games are multi-player solitaire, but that's not such a bad thing in his case. I've pointed out the ones where you need to watch your opponents. In the others you can mostly just do your own thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Champ
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Damn Pam!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bauerheath wrote:
I game with my wife weekly. Games that play well with two that keep rising up to the top are:

Race for the galaxy
Trajan (if you're into euros)
Troyes
Keyflower
Targi
Voluspa
Legacy

+1 for Keyflower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Daniel (DAAN)... you played Macao (Stefan Feld)?

What would you rank (for two) as your favorite Feld Game?

*Letters from Whitechapel looks great. Would be my first thematic game... does it still carry some Euro mechanics or "feel" with it?

*Having owned Dominion and Puerto Rico is there room for Race for the Galaxy without leaving one of the others in the dust, so to speak.

Thanks

I have Letters from Whitechapel and Race for the Galaxy and both are awesome choices.

In letters I don't know what euro "feel" you're referring to but one plays jack and the others play the detectives trying to catch jack as he moves secretly on the board. So, basically jack just moves, records on his sheet thats hidden and then the detectives go. The detectives move and search or arrest and thats it. It's a pure deduction game as you try to catch jack before all the murders are committed and he gets away.

I will, however, say this from quite a few plays. It doesn't play as well with 2 as it does with 3+.

Here is why. Two players means one plays jack and the other plays (all) of the detectives. There is no interaction between all of the detectives like you would get if there were 4 or 5. This is one of the best parts of the game. If you play jack and you sit there watching them point to spots on the board and discussing where they think you are its just nerve-wracking as you try to keep a straight face.

As for Race for the Galaxy.... It is a completely different game from Puerto Rico and Dominion so it won't leave either in the dust! This is a fantastic game that's totally worth adding to your collection as it won't break the bank either.

I will warn you (and I'm sure people will come after me saying "Oh, it's not hard to learn!) that it is a difficult game to teach new people ESPECIALLY if they are casual gamers. There is a good bit to learn on those cards and it can be frustrating at first. This being said it shouldn't be something to scare you away from a great game.

I know I'm not DAAN and you asked him but you should check out Bruges as it's a Feld game and quite fun!

Now as far as something I would like to recommend. This is something totally different from anything you listed but is worth checking out if this would be something you'd be interested in.

I've introduced Escape: The Curse of the Temple to a lot of friends and (all) of these friends have immediately fell in love with it. It's a tile laying, real time game that goes by a timer (10 minute soundtrack on the cd it comes with that creates a ton of atmosphere) where you work as a team to find the exit and get out before the 10 minutes are up. This plays well with any amount of players 1-5. It is guaranteed to get your adrenaline pumping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.