Brian Gregg14
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had trouble coming up with good ways to counter the following strategy. What would you suggest?

The two key cards are (a) Storm African Priestess who costs three and has a fifty percent chance of sending a good character to the used pile and(b)Punisher McRook who costs four and knocks out a character every time he attacks. If these two represent all of your early buys, it is pretty hard to do anything about it. I have tried Loki and Professor X, but they take longer to buy and field at 5 and 6 energy respectively. Once you get a steady flow of Storms and Punishers flowing, you just keep sending them out to attack. Ideally, you want the Storms to get knocked out so you can keep refielding them. If they are unblocked, more are quickly on the way because these are the only dice you have invested in. One of the real advantages is that it doesn't take long to get this going and seize the upper hand because they cost 3 and 4 energy.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tough to be very helpful without my cards, but I'd say just the general strategy should be to play very aggressively. McRook and African Priestess are only good if you keep characters out in the field, so grab someone like Ghost Rider -Johnny Blaze with something like Thrown Car and take the fight to your opponent's face. Once you have some cheap guys keeping him on his heels, you can save up for Prof X or Loki.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good deck, but the Gobby deck or the Tsarina deck essentially does the same thing, but quicker. I think McRook is extremely overrated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played several games today, and Punisher McRook won quicker than either Gobby or Tsarina. In fact, Tsarina lost both games where she was the star of the show. Gobby split his two games, mostly because I couldn't roll a sidekick for the life of me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Gregg14
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Sounds like a good deck, but the Gobby deck or the Tsarina deck essentially does the same thing, but quicker. I think McRook is extremely overrated.


Tsarina and Gobby deal out the damage quickly, but this particular deck keeps you scrambling to keep anyone in the field. It is very easy for punisher to begin slamming in undefended. Your best characters are either knocked out, or far worse, banished to the used pile, twiddling their thumbs while you take a beating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
to rule them all wrote:
I've had trouble coming up with good ways to counter the following strategy. What would you suggest?

The two key cards are (a) Storm African Priestess who costs three and has a fifty percent chance of sending a good character to the used pile and(b)Punisher McRook who costs four and knocks out a character every time he attacks. If these two represent all of your early buys, it is pretty hard to do anything about it. I have tried Loki and Professor X, but they take longer to buy and field at 5 and 6 energy respectively. Once you get a steady flow of Storms and Punishers flowing, you just keep sending them out to attack. Ideally, you want the Storms to get knocked out so you can keep refielding them. If they are unblocked, more are quickly on the way because these are the only dice you have invested in. One of the real advantages is that it doesn't take long to get this going and seize the upper hand because they cost 3 and 4 energy.



u know u can pay 2 life to nullify mcrook ability right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
to rule them all wrote:
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Sounds like a good deck, but the Gobby deck or the Tsarina deck essentially does the same thing, but quicker. I think McRook is extremely overrated.


Tsarina and Gobby deal out the damage quickly, but this particular deck keeps you scrambling to keep anyone in the field. It is very easy for punisher to begin slamming in undefended. Your best characters are either knocked out, or far worse, banished to the used pile, twiddling their thumbs while you take a beating.


Well yes, Tsarina and Gobby deal damage very quickly. So quickly in fact that I think they would both steamroll the deck you propose. Also, both tsarina and gobby like to be recycled and are cheap to re-field. In my experience Storm does little to stop Gobby...McRook is useless. But maybe you have better luck.

My point is, the storm - mcrook thing would probably lose to the more streamlined, more efficient, Gobby or tsarina deck. That's not to say it's not a fun deck to try, but it's very slow. And as mentioned earlier, McRook's ability is nullified by paying two life. So he is unreliable as its one of those cards that requires the opponent's approval to work the way you want it to. In other words, the ability goes off if the opponent decides it should, not you. I'm finding those cards to be less and less usefull.

Gobby or Tsarina decks will handle that build quite easily.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.