Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Airco DH.4 is described as the first British two seat light day–bomber. Which of the other non-giant planes were used as bombers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Just about *any* 2-seater in use in 1915-1917 as dedicated, design-built bombers were just being invented (ex. Fe2b, Re8, "Ack", MF Shorthorns, etc...)

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While most 2 seaters had "light bombing" as one of their duties, planes designed first as bombers are rare (and neither the Re8 or Fe2b were one of those). But if you can access some of the Wings of War stuff, you will find that the Breguets shown were primarily bombers and good ones at that.

Outside the Wings release line so far, the DH9 was also primarily a bomber, as were several of the Voisin designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
errrr... yeah....that is what I said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some bomb loads in KG for planes in the game (the table is in Wings of War: Flight of the Giants):

Breguet BR.14 B2 (MBL=256kg)
Bristol F.2 Fighter (MBL=108kg)
Caproni Ca.3 (MBL=800kg)
Caproni Ca.4 (MBL=1438kg)
Curtiss H.16 (MBL=105kg)
De Havilland/AIRCO D.H. 4 (MBL=208kg)
Felixstowe F.2A (MBL=105kg)
Friedrichshafen G.III (MBL=1000kg)
Gotha G.V (MBL=500kg)
Handley Page O/400 (MBL=1655kg)
LFG Roland C.II (MBL=50kg)
Phönix C.I (MBL=50kg)
Pomilio PC (MBL=150kg)
Royal Aircraft Factory R.E. 8 (MBL=112kg)
Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a (MBL=45kg)
Rumpler C.IV (MBL=100kg)
Saml S.2 (MBL=40kg)
Sopwith Camel (MBL=36kg)
Sopwith Snipe (MBL=36kg)
Ufag C.I (MBL=150kg)
Zeppelin Staaken R.VI (MBL=2000kg)

Please notice how even pure fighters as Sopwith Camel, Se5a and Snipe could and did carry bombs (Sopwith Camels contributed as bombers to the battle of Cambrai, for example).
The very first bombing took place in Libya in 1909. A friend of my mother's family, Giulio Gavotti, dropped 4 granades from a single-engine, single-seater monoplane Etrich Taube on a Turkish camp.

http://fly.historicwings.com/2012/11/bombs-at-ain-zara/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great story...thank you for the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andrea! during your research did you find any pictures or discriptions of the mechanisms that carried and dropped the bombs for the different planes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few photos here and there yes. But you should be interested into Basilio Di Martino's "L'Aviazione italiana e il bombardamento aereo nella Grande Guerra". 780 pages. In Italian, but I guess with many interesting photos. Being published by the Italian Air Force Ministery, it only costs 25 euros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
A few photos here and there yes. But you should be interested into Basilio Di Martino's "L'Aviazione italiana e il bombardamento aereo nella Grande Guerra". 780 pages. In Italian, but I guess with many interesting photos. Being published by the Italian Air Force Ministery, it only costs 25 euros.

thanks, I will have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.