Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Going on holiday with my brother and his wife at the end of the week. They have a 15 month old and asked me to bring some games to play in the evening. They liked TTR and Settlers. I don't think they would find heavy games fun, so I am planning to take Small World and Pandemic. Any other suggestions for something a step beyond TTR?

Thanks
Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a card drafting game or deck builder, or maybe something quick that could be played when they're between taking care of the baby.

7 Wonders, Sushi Go!

Dominion, Eminent Domain

maybe check some geeklists for 3 player recommendations too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. How is Dominion with 4? I understood there is minimal interaction and I wondered if there is downtime in 4P? I went off of Alien Frontiers for that reason.

Just to note that their baby sleeps from 7:30 to 7:30 without waking, so doesn't have to be a short game necessarily, though I doubt they are up for 2 hour games.

Thanks
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played Dominion much, but when I did, it was 4 player.
I didn't think there was much downtime, but I'm a player who gets into other people's plays.
The base game didn't involve other players much in your turn, but it also generally meant that during your turn you worried about yourself, and so there wasn't much issue with analysis paralysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GazPAge wrote:
Thanks. How is Dominion with 4? I understood there is minimal interaction and I wondered if there is downtime in 4P? I went off if Alien Frintiers for that reason.

Just to note that their baby sleeps from 7:30 to 7:30 without waking, so doesn't have to be a short game necessarily, though I doubt they are up for0 2 hour games.

Thanks
Gary

For a casual game, Dominion is fine with four. For a competitive game it is better with three and best with two.

For Sale is even lighter than TTR so it might not be what your looking for, but that game has NEVER failed me with nongamers and people into light games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is getting a lot of play time in our area right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
kingdom builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Devine
Australia
Lara
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dpickels wrote:
Splendor is getting a lot of play time in our area right now.

Definitely check this out. Rules take two minutes to teach, if that.. and it's quite addictive and quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
From your collection:
Kingsburg
Possibly Thebes if you reckon it.

Strongly +1 Pandemic that'll blow their socks off.

Small World kinda depends how they'll take to the direct conflict element.

Stuff I'd consider buying:

If you had the opportunity to pick up Hanabi prior to the off. I'd strongly recommend it. Fairly cheap, free to cary but would provide enough focus to make the chaos of Small World welcome light relief and put the direct conflict element into perspective.

If you're not sure that they're actually going to want to play that many new games - Dixit is an absolute winner. If they like it it's also a nice parting gift.

Revolution! is my favourite somewhat meaty gateway level game. Blind bidding with area control mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Page
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks everyone. I think I might pick up Dominion and 7 Wonders and then take along some combination of small world, pandemic and Kingsburg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Splendor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Hale
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with a lot of the ones mentioned but I would also suggest Lords or Waterdeep, which is a simple worker placement game. Another one that we have been playing a lot that is really light and fun is Mad City, a quick tile placement game. Another light game we had fun with on faction is Dice Town, but that might be OOP. Finally a good alternative to Dominion, which I love, is Trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at the list of games you own.

Carcassonne
Forbidden Island
Galaxy Trucker
Kingsburg
San Juan
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Revolution! is my favourite somewhat meaty gateway level game. Blind bidding with area control mechanics.

+1 this, an instant hit with my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
+100 Galaxy Trucker

Jamaica
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just taken a peek through your collection and recommend you take Twilight Imperium.

JK.

In all seriousness, Galaxy Trucker is surprisingly accessible to casual gamers. I've hooked quite a few people into gaming with the destructive hilarity of this game. Take it if they prefer laughing to winning.

Stone Age and Kingsburg are great introductions to the WP Genre.

Small world and Pandemic are excellent choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paris Connection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!, Bohnanza, Diamant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.