Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Brainstorming Tennin Institute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, my NBN deck let me down at another tournament. Either it's less good than I thought, or it's too predictable. Either way, it's inspired me to leave NBN for a while and get into cloning. I've never been a Jinteki player, so this will be quite a departure for me.

First stop is the Tennin institute.

I'm intrigued by the options for bluffing it creates, and it's possible you may even squeeze out an Agenda score from your free-advance.

So, how do you make the most of Tennin's ID ability? If I'm not trying to maximise it, I may as well play another ID right? So, obviously I need to minimise the number of successful runs.

Nisei MK II and Caprice are going to be great for this, so in they go. Nisei MK II in particular is a 'kill switch' on a run. Successful Demonstration will probably be a good economy option too.

As for ICE, I see two approaches. Hard EtR (especially good early game) and heavy taxing, to keep the runner from being able to make runs every turn. Destroyer ICE is probably also a good fit. Tsurugi is nice in that it can be EtR or taxing.

Next question; is threatening Flatline worth it? Is this going to distract me too much from scoring; or will I be able to use damage a 'speed-bump' to create a scoring window while the runner takes a 'recovery turn'? Experienced Jinteki players, your input here is valuable.

Finally, is Subliminal Messaging worth it? Along with your ID, it gives the runner two reasons to come at you every turn, but if you can dissuade a run you get double-bonus. Seems like it might be just goading the runner too much though.

So, any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobin Lopes
United States
Thornton
Dark Side of the Moon
flag msg tools
Serving the Emperor since 1971
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first H&P deck I built.

If you want to maximize the ID it's about ETR ice and no remotes until needed. Which leads to Operation Economy, including Subliminals. I've also included Woodcutter - you can advance with the ID BEFORE rezzing! Whoop Whoop! Susanoo is great on a remote especially with archives punishment.

The most important learning point for me was to keep servers tight to get those early turn adv counters when the runner is least likely to succeed. House of Knives, esp with two scored, is an AMAYZING disincentive to run.

I have a couple of Thomas Haas to install behind that first remote ICE ... something to provide some burst - runners typically let it lay thinking it's a trap. Which is fine by me - less running.

My two cents.

-tpl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Tennin with program destruction and hard ETR ice. Slip in some net damage (taxing ice like Tsurugi/Komainu that also double as ping ice if the runner faceplants/you can feed him in with Inazuma, as well as the occasional Neural EMP or Snare!) so you can occasionally snipe programs from hand and you've got yourself a "nowhere your icebreakers can hide" Jinteki variant. These were not uncommon prior to Honor and Profit, and the version I encountered most often had Archers and Power Shutdowns on loan from Weyland.

If possible, I'd also recommend grabbing Ice Walls from Weyland as a good place to put your free advancement counters. Stuff like Ronin also works well.

The toughest part of Tenin is ensuring every server you have is difficult to run. It means permanent economy assets are strongly discouraged (Jackson is okay, he gets nervous and dives in a dumpster when runners try to find him) and you need to make every central unappealing (you can achieve this with Archives through Shocks if needs be) to go after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipafist wrote:
I like Tennin with program destruction and hard ETR ice. Slip in some net damage (taxing ice like Tsurugi/Komainu that also double as ping ice if the runner faceplants/you can feed him in with Inazuma, as well as the occasional Neural EMP or Snare!) so you can occasionally snipe programs from hand and you've got yourself a "nowhere your icebreakers can hide" Jinteki variant. These were not uncommon prior to Honor and Profit, and the version I encountered most often had Archers and Power Shutdowns on loan from Weyland.

Uncommon? I ran the prog killer Jinteki WAY before H&P, it works great in PE where all the little bits of net damage add up, throwing in Grim, Shutdown, Archer and cheap ETRs like Baku and Ice wall which does double duty to enable TOL to close out games and you got a reasonably well positioned rush deck.

There were two variants - one that took all the Profiteering bad pub and didn't care if you had bad pub cos you'd have no breakers to spend them on, and the other that were more stable but slower with Gila Hands but not as fast.

A big rig that gets set up quickly enough tore through it though, so I didn't bother with it after a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want, you might check out over here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15737391#15737391

Not that there isn't room for two of us, in this town

Caprice + Successful Demo is just a great idea. Might need to find some room now.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Not joking: Tyrant & Woodcutter. (Advancing these while face down is good)

You need to play a centrals game at first that locks them out or at least make's it too steep to run profitably. A mix of The Future Perfect, NAPD and some other stuff would compliment this, but the ID wants you to fast advance, or at least, leave a 4/2 out and use the ability to advance that 4/2 all in one go without them making a run.

I think its a hard ID to play and possibly harder to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
If you want, you might check out over here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/15737391#15737391

Not that there isn't room for two of us, in this town

Caprice + Successful Demo is just a great idea. Might need to find some room now.....

Thanks; I'll go check out the thread I'm sure there'll be some ideas I can ste- er, use

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool beans. I do like the idea of Tommy Haas and Demonstration, but probably too many card slots, for Tennin. They already want to do a bit of everything. I did run that combo in a Replication Perfection, advance storm kind of deck with some good results (I didn't like the deck that much, but my friends hated running it). One thing is you want Tommy behind an ETR, or something not worth paying for to run a now empty server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much influence to splash tom hass? Grndl refinery is 2 and works great with with tennin/ToL for cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.