BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Recommended lighting solutions for your gaming table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bamford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey folks.

We've got a nice glass gaming table which we cover with some felt (a jigsaw puzzle solving mat at the moment but I need to get nicer thicker felt I think) and enjoy gaming on fairly regularly. The annoying thing is that the light could be better in the room.

We've got a broken lampshade with 6 small halogen bulbs in it (if none are out at that time), which just doesn't provide enough even light on the table.

We also brought a novelty oversized desk lamp that stands nearly as tall as an adult and does provide some good light but just more from one side of the table than we'd like, also it can be a little glaring if you look over towards it.

Struggling to find any decent enough light fittings that look like they'd really provide enough light, especially not helped by our high 9 foot ceiling meaning any fitting will potentially be quite far away from the table.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Being in the UK it'd be nice to hear of solutions I could more easily get hold of, but at this point I'd appreciate any ideas!

Cheers

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best gaming light is from above, you need to bite the bullet and instal a hanging fixture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Directly overhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a corner standing lamp to light the room (somewhat dimly) then an anglepoise lamp clamped to the table itself. Works fine for me as I don't like the whole room too bright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not strapped for cash, a lighting fixture store (not your basic DIY) would be happy to take your money, and more importantly work with you to get the best illumination with modern choices.

Ignore the floor stand lights in this image. But some creativity with what are not typically used because of their utilitarian look can give very nice and even photometrics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the best fitting might be, but the "corncob" design of LED lamp tends to produce suitable lighting (even if they just don't last as long as claimed)

Look through the Argos catalogue or website for ideas on fittings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC Principal
Finland
Joensuu
flag msg tools
TRIGGERED!
badge
SOCAIL JUSTIEC!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I have directly above my gaming table. You can turn the individual lights any direction you want. The lights are small but they are much brighter than you'd think. The whole table is lit up nicely, there are no shadows or anything. We have a player with some significant sight problems but she has rarely any problems with gaming pieces now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience it's also better to try to avoid strong undiffused direct light from above. It can create a lot of glare and hard shadows on the table and game board.

We have an overhead directional fixture, but I turn the spot lights to the side hitting a nearby wall. This bounces the light off the wall and diffuses it creating a much "softer" light. No glares, and hardly any shadows.

Another solution is to get a tall lamp (one that aims up) and put it in the coner of the room. It will bounce the light off the ceiling and (depending how big your room is) fill the room with a nice diffused light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bamford
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!

We have a fitting overhead already but it's bulbs go so often and to put no finer point on it it's past it's best.

The current fixture is roughly central to the room and usually we don't quite have the table directly under it. Not far off though.

The other issue is one of wondering how heavy a fixture the ceiling above can support, I only have access through the existing hole and it's not clear whether it's connected to a joist or not.

I will continue to keep looking, but aesthetics will have to suit my missus, so I fear we won't be able to get away with a nice long fluorescent fitting.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm renting an old cottage for a few months while builders sort my house out and the lighting is rubbish so I brought one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00103847/

Seems to work well for £55 (It is massive though!)

Plenty of this type of light about in different styles (and prices!), Search for 'Arc floor lamp'

Hope you find something suitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimbobuk wrote:
Thanks everyone!

We have a fitting overhead already but it's bulbs go so often and to put no finer point on it it's past it's best.

The current fixture is roughly central to the room and usually we don't quite have the table directly under it. Not far off though.

The other issue is one of wondering how heavy a fixture the ceiling above can support, I only have access through the existing hole and it's not clear whether it's connected to a joist or not.

I will continue to keep looking, but aesthetics will have to suit my missus, so I fear we won't be able to get away with a nice long fluorescent fitting.

Cheers!

If the ceiling is not already falling down on you, it will support the weight of all but the most ludicrous chandeliers. The existing outlet (which could very well be wobbly and getting useless for support) is likely next to a joist, they will be a uniform distance apart and going the same direction, and can be found very accurately with an inexpensive electronic device. Whatever the fixture design, you can use a cord of an unobtrusive color to connect from a cover on the existing wiring box to the new fixture. A bit of paint and neatness in installing the wire and it will disappear above the new bright light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.