Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally received CotDP and played a couple games using it (one with the visiting exhibit rules and one with the permanet exhibit rules) so here's my opinion of the expansion.

First of all there are two ways to use the expansion: visiting and permanent. With the visiting option everything focuses on the exhibit (you don't use encounters from the orginal and 50% of all mythos cards are from the expansion). While the visiting exhibit is kind of fun, more difficult, and a change of pace once you shuffle all of the cards together for the permanent option you are probably not going back. The cards do have little symbols on them to tell them apart but it is still a pain to separate them again.

I like the new mythos cards, in particular the ones that don't add gates just two doom tokens. Some of the Mythos cards are a little hard to interpret just what happens: in particular the ones that add ghosts/maniacs to the board and the rumor that increases the terror level unless you discard unique items or exaust exhibit items.

Which leads me to exhibit items. Exhibit items are like unique items except you can't buy them, only find them with encounters or from certain mythos cards. My only problem with them is they add a handfull of elder sign-lites which I think help the good guys too much...

The new spells are excellent as they are not combat oriented and mostly useful. IMO combat spells kind of suck as I'd rather just have a magic sword as I don't have to roll to see if it works and it doesn't drive me insane.

I'm not a big fan of the new allies as they are mostly combat oriented and I don't think monsters were all that tough to begin with.

I think the best part of the expansion is the new encounters both in Arkham and out in the Other Worlds. More variety is good and the chance of running into Cthulu is priceless. Plus this gives each location an even 12 cards so we just roll a d12 to decide what card you get instead of constantly shuffling. Speeds up the game slightly.

So in the end I would recomnend the expansion to those hardcore Arkham gamers I know are out there. It makes the game slightly harder, but not enough in my opinion. The can't lose strategies of the original still exist. This may be good as none of us will have to adjust our myriad of house rules we've come with. It definately increases the replay value as you don't run into the same old stuff over and over again as often. And it's a good Arkham "fix" (think methadone)until Dunwich Horror eventually comes out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good overview. I think the elder signs were included in order to give players a reason to draw from the visting artifact deck. Without them, I think people would really favor the original deck.

The new allies are welcome, because of the events that allow you to get a follower if they are still available. With more allies, the odds are better that follower X will be there.

I think that this expansion is more than a blip until Dunwich Horror is available. The 45 new Arkham encounter cards are worth getting this expansion alone. Having them in the mix will increase the number of encounters in Arkham area from 7 to 12! That is huge in terms of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think the elder signs were included in order to give players a reason to draw from the visting artifact deck. Without them, I think people would really favor the original deck.

That is an excellent point! As the expansion is still new to us there is still never any doubt which deck deck we will draw from given the choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:
It makes the game slightly harder, but not enough in my opinion. The can't lose strategies of the original still exist. This may be good as none of us will have to adjust our myriad of house rules we've come with.

What variants do you play with? I was thinking of adopting the "2 monsters per gate" variant, since there never seem like there are enough on the board, but don't want to make it too hard if CotDP balances out that aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.