BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: how do u get all ur games without spending ur whole paycheck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just curious how all you guys get all your games withough spending your whole paycheck...

or maybe there are some out there that do

but for those that dont and want to buy a lot of games, how do u shop for them?

are there a lot of thrifty shoppers here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how do u get all your games without spending all ur payc
Here are my secrets of game-buying:

-I buy on sale at my Friendly Local Game Store, which gives me a small discount for being a regular customer.

-I buy games for sale in the BGG marketplace.

-I set up trades on BGG to swap out games in my collection using the superior Trade Finder function.

-I try games before I buy them, reading up on them so I buy very few stinkers these days.

-If I must order online, I order in bulk and compare prices; I recruit buddies into the deal if necessary.

-I play online versions of board games.

-I check out garage sales and thrift stores, but try not to buy anything unless it's totally awesome.

-I acknowledge to myself that I'm buying to play, not buying to collect, which keeps me from speculating and buying hundreds of games about to go out of print. It also forces me to open games in shrinkwrap so I'll play them and get my money's worth.

-I maintain cordial relations with a large extended group of gamers, many of whom have game collections that would kill you if they fell on you. Again, try before you buy.

-I attend game conventions by running demo sessions, giving me access to sweet, sweet swag for free. Lotta prizes running around the convention circuit these days...

-I acknowledge that there's gotta be a budget, and never buy games on credit.

-I don't buy games if I have more than a few lying around unplayed.

Oh, and I use online tools like http://www.boardgameseeker.com/Default.aspx to compare prices as a starting point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how to u get all your games without spending all ur paycheck
derscheid wrote:
Mainly, I save money by not spelling words out completely, as long as it doesn't affect the readability and overall tone of my posts

Damn you, I only opened this thread to post a similarly witty response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
Damn you, I only opened this thread to post a similarly witty response.

Congratulations, you did!
laugh

I cannot spend all my paycheck on games. After all I need pay for my own survival - and the storage as well!

I don't care how expensive they are - I buy what I can afford (and I am not running around trying to save a few bucks), and would rather have a few high quality games than a lot of duds - unfortunately it seems that I am not very good a picking my choices...
robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: how to u get all your games without spending all ur payc
My sister buys loads of stuff from local auctions, 2nd hand shops and chariy shops and calls me if they ever have board games. I also buy them from my local charity shops too. I then trade the games i find for the ones i actually want on BGG.

Also, i ask anyone at work if they have any games they don't play anymore, buy them off them at a reduced rate (They aren't going to bother to sell them otherwise) and trade them on.

My sister got me Space Hulk, Genestealer and Deathwing for £15 last year, and considering they are worth over £100, that got me a lot of my want list in one go.

I don't feel too guilty though, as she then bought a big box of MERP rpg books for £20, i said i don't deal in rpg's and she sold them individually on ebay for £1200!!!

In short, i never buy anything new, i just buy in charity shops, off my friends, trade or get off ebay.

Hope that helps,

Mike.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way is to read & research a LOT before you buy a game. You may still get some stinkers, but the more you read before deciding which game or games to buy, the more likely you are to get a game you like enough to play repeatedly, in which case you won't feel so strongly that you have to have more games. Sorry to say that you will have to sift through a lot of garbage (like some of the 'wit' above) to get the pearls of wisdom needed to help you in deciding which games are for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Place one order a month...it will take time. If you can put away sixty bucks per month, that should be at least 2 games. And that's only 2 bucks a day.

Cut back on spending somewhere else. Eat out less, I hardly go to the movies anymore, etc.

...and it takes time to get a bunch of games together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I am training as a hairdresser at the moment I am spending my WIFE'S paycheck on games.
You'd think it would be more enjoyable, but I value my marriage! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/shillmodeon

Simple!

I shop and save at
http://TimeWellSpent.org

/shillmodeoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a question of what I DON'T spend money on.

We don't watch much TV, so we have only basic basic cable. $15/month. Seeing a movie in the theater can run upwards of twenty bucks, and that only happens MAYBE six times a year, tops. Most books I get come from the library or used book stores. We don't buy sodas (don't really like them much) don't eat out a lot, and we're not big fans of clubs or live music. I play Diablo 2 online instead of WoW because there's no way I'm willing to pay $15/month to play a video game.

It's all about being cheap thrifty. When both of you are in school you learn how to save money and do without things you don't really need. We both have jobs now, but we still go by what we learned before, and that means more money for the things we do want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Rumsey
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One word...

eBay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I second all of the advice given above...

However...
Birthday & Christmas

Over the years, growing up, my family has been very secretive and values the "surprise" of gifts. We always were very reluctant to tell people what we wanted because 1. it wouldn't be a surprise and 2. it was considered very selfish.

My wife's family, on the other hand, would always tell anyone that would listen what they specifically wanted for Christmas or for their birthday. My mother-in-law has even been known to purchase something, then give it to my father-in-law to wrap, as a gift for her!

So in the past number of years, given my board game obsession, my wife has asked me for a list of games that I want. She then distributes this out to anyone purchasing a gift for me. Christmas, for me, now sees an avalanche of new games!

I just had a birthday, and my wife and sons, of course, all bought me games. My parents-in-law bought me games. BUT, my parents, still of the "surprise" ilk, gave me a generous gift certificate to Lowe's (ala Home Depot). My beautiful, wonderful wife agreed to "buy" the gift certificate off me so that I may spend the money on games. Woo Hoo!

So, in other words, I tell anyone that asks me what I want, "games, games, games...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the great info!!

Ive been trying to thirfty shoppe but there are mostly old games
i did however get a complete set of axis and allies for $3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get better at this, myself, but trade aggressively. And when I say aggressively, I don't mean drive a hard bargain. I mean give a real critical eye to what's in your closet. Don't ask if you like it. Don't ask if it's out of print and would be tough to get your hands on again. Ask if, given everything else in your closet, you'll be devastated if you never play it again. No? Mark it as available for trade. Make sure to mark some things as wanted in trade, too.

Next, don't get caught up in comparing retail values when evaluating trades. Think "ooh, new game", not "no way I'm making this deal that I'm seven bucks on the wrong side of".

There. Trade on the Geek, it costs you only shipping, and you get new games. Trade with people in your local groups, even better. It costs you nothing, and you may get to see your dearly departed again. I, for instance, look forward to tearful reunions with my copy of Industria, which I traded away yesterday.

That's how I'm trying to do it, anyway. (Or is than ne way?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I give myself an allowance when I get paid, it is used for eating out, games, whatever non-essential wants that I have. Needs are budgeted in, wants come out of allowance. It is a good system that works for me and my wife, and neither of us complains about our "guilt free" spending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
Re: how do u get all ur games without spending ur whole payc
well since we are talking about trading

is it a hassle at all?
How much does it cost to ship out 1 game in the mail usually?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until very recently ,I hated the idea of trading (through the mail, anyway). Spending the initial money for the game, then spending even more money to ship it just to receive a different game seemed pointless. Now, I look at it as paying the shipping cost to turn a worthless game into a playable game. I have been participating in every math trade since this revelation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
Okay maybe you can help me out a bit on this
lets say I have nexus ops, brand new, played 3 times, its alright but I don’t play it as much as I do with catan and risk 2210
I want carcassonne and san juan maybe mall of horror, how do I go about starting to trade??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
greenpawn wrote:
I give myself an allowance when I get paid, it is used for eating out, games, whatever non-essential wants that I have. Needs are budgeted in, wants come out of allowance. It is a good system that works for me and my wife, and neither of us complains about our "guilt free" spending.

This is exactly what my husband and I do too. Our allowances are quite small, so I would need to save up from a couple if I wanted to purchase a big expensive game. I also try to get my husband to spend some of his allowance on a game as he will be playing it too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r3n0 wrote:
lets say I have nexus ops, brand new, played 3 times, its alright but I don’t play it as much as I do with catan and risk 2210
I want carcassonne and san juan maybe mall of horror, how do I go about starting to trade??

Visit the Trade Forums and take a look around. You'll catch on. Also, be sure to enter your games into your Collection and mark them for trade (I've noticed that you've done this for one game so far--Lionheart). You can then use the trading feature located up above in the Bazaar tab and see what kind of matches BGG can find for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r3n0 wrote:

Read all about "math trades" in the trading geeklists.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/15246

That links to a math trade that just ended. Also, if you "win" a game in a math trade, you can enter it in a second math trade and try for an upgrade, and then have the original game shipped directly to the receiver in the second trade, saving on shipping costs. Shipping costs are a bear--I spent $12 shipping Age of Mythology.

Also, search the geeklists for games that are free to print and play. Several are quite good.

I am currently selling off most of my collection as one large lot. Here is what I have learned:

1. The coolest game in the world is worthless if you can't get your wife, kids or friends to play.

2. Games are only as good as the time you have to play them and the people you have to play them with. I have great gaming buddies, but my life doesn't permit me to play more than three hours a month.

3. Having cool games that you can't play is almost physically painful and distracting.

4. In a relationship, anything can be used as a bargaining chip.

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r3n0 wrote:

I think the easiest thing to do would be to go to the Nexus Ops entry in BGG and click the hyperlinked number next to "Users Wanting". Then go shopping. Click "View Trades" for the people who come up and see what they have on the block. Look for people with high trade ratings and recent last logins, as that will get you the fastest responses. I also pretty much restrict myself to US and Canadian Geeks so as not to get mixed up dealing with customs stuff and two month delivery times.

And if you find something that looks like a good match, send your Secret Santa a GeekMail and see what they think.

Have fun and be patient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
50 games a year for 30 years and a few buying binges...... but most importantly to having a lot of games is a BIGGER paycheck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take on a 2nd job. I have found that by doing so I have completely eliminated all pangs of conscience by contributing the extra income to my household, and then skimming a little off the top once in awhile for games.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
awesome thanks guys for the help!

about buying new games i brought up on another post how when i get my friends together we pitch in a buck whever we play so we can get a new game about a month

most of them decided to all pitch like $5 or so when we find a game to buy :/

seams like a good idea but knowing my friends they would probably do thatonce and then never do it again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.