Subject: Magneto Sonderkommando Global rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Dear

tulsa
OK
msg tools
The rare Magneto global states

Global: Pay (mask) to reroll a Villian Die.

Reading this I take that anyone can pay a mask to reroll one of their villain die. Does this let you however roll any villain die such as your opponents villain die. Many of the other abilities (such as storm's) states re-rolling opposing characters dice. What does this global let you reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can only use it to reroll your own die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just says reroll a villain die with no exclusions. If it said "your own" or "opposing" that would limit its targeting.

If there's a fielded die on the board that is a villian it's an available target to be rerolled by either player.

Makes this card a dicey one to include in a build with a lot of villans - you are giving your opponent a method to deal with the ones you field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
buck fuddr
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about the die before its fielded? isnt it still a villan die then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Briggs
msg tools
"Unless otherwise noted, effects can only target dice in the field."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
You may notice that many of the global abilities that seem counter-productive are on characters or actions that would otherwise be too strong. For example, Distraction disables 2 of your defenders, but is countered by the ability to send an attacker back home. Venoms are generally quite strong, but come with the ability to spin them down. Same case here. An always active +2/+2 to villains would make a villains team too powerful so they put in a failsafe. If the opponent wants to spend their energy rerolling your dice, that's their prerogative and balances the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Beaber
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
That makes total sense because a reroll could just end up a higher level side too. Official tourneys need to be played before they start nerfing the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick aside though: What happens when the targeted villain die comes up energy?

Does it go to the used pile?

And if so why do storm windrider and storm african priestess specifically mention this, if it's the default action.

I always thought the energie would go the opponents reserve, he can still use it for globals but would still be out of the character at the start of his turn.

If the die would go to the prep, that would completely change how people use magneto's global.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nafmi wrote:
Quick aside though: What happens when the targeted villain die comes up energy?

Does it go to the used pile?

And if so why do storm windrider and storm african priestess specifically mention this, if it's the default action.

I always thought the energie would go the opponents reserve, he can still use it for globals but would still be out of the character at the start of his turn.

If the die would go to the prep, that would completely change how people use magneto's global.
The default location is the reserve pool. This is covered in the "rerolling dice" section of the rules on page 21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nafmi Sanichar - van Herwijnen
Netherlands
Weesp
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

That's exactly what I thought, but it brought up quite the discussion in my gaminggroup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Weakland
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
NewPalpatine wrote:
"Unless otherwise noted, effects can only target dice in the field."

Where is this quoted from? Just wondering because I'm missing it somewhere, Faq or updated rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Weakland
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Never mind... Literally the first rule in the book. Lmao

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alden Schoeneberg
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question about the Magneto global has to do with the word villain die as opposed to storms which says "character." Consistant to the language of other cards and effects, a die in the field is referred to as a "character." That leads me to believe that the intent of the Magneto global is to be used on villain dice that have not yet been fielded.

Has anyone else considered this?

I am just trying to give WizKids the benefit of the doubt that they chose the word "die" rather than "character" for a reason.

(I cannot believe I just used "WizKids" and "reason" in the same sentence.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Character dice are dice that are associated with character cards, characters are dice that rolled one of the faces and are in the Field or Reserve Pool; for the purposes of this question it doesn't matter, because of targeting rules. As well, dice showing energy (once rolled) are considered energy dice, not characters. Magneto's global says nothing about overriding the base rule of only being able to target dice in the Field, so you may not reroll dice in the Reserve Pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rizzo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
They must be trolling us, another rule that has long been understood to work one way by the majority of the community has officially been stated as allowing to target dice in the reserve pool. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18...
So yeah....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Briand
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordSpiral wrote:
They must be trolling us, another rule that has long been understood to work one way by the majority of the community has officially been stated as allowing to target dice in the reserve pool. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18...
So yeah....

Interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa - don't mind the ruling, but c'mon WizKidz.

Proofread much? At all? Please send all future card text to me so I can un-f*** it for you guys before it goes to press.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.