badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeyD wrote:

So far it's just:

"You're a spy."
"That's something a spy would say."
"No, that's something a spy would say."

Repeat.

Look at the way people vote. If someone votes yes to a mission they aren't on, and that mission fails, it makes the person suspicious. People should vote no more often than yes.

You can also add the plot cards if you want to add more information to the game to help people make deductions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalon.

Play it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Avalon.

Play it more.

Exactly.

It can be hard to know what to do when no one in the group has played before. It's one of those games you kind of need to learn from an experienced player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch how people vote. Watch which players are suggested for teams and does the leader vote for the team or against.

(Try to trap spies to vote yes by suggesting a team with a spy and voting against it.)

Yeah, and play Avalon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
If someone votes yes to a mission they aren't on, and that mission fails, it makes the person suspicious.

Or just inexperienced at the game. Most people I've played with start out approving the first proposal as they have no reason to reject it. Try to persuade people to vote against missions and explain why it's a good idea to vote against proposals.

Consider 1st round 5 player game. There are 2 spies. Assume the first leader is resistance, and hasn't picked you, there is a 1 in 3 chance the person they have picked is the other resistance member. Are you feeling lucky? Also you know there is a 2 in 4 chance the first leader is a spy. Are you feeling really lucky?

If there a more approvals for a mission than there are resistance then it's bad news as some spies liked that team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this game is just not for you.

I enjoy this game, but I can see why some people do not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Bertelsen
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Talk about other aspects of the game.

For instance, say on Mission One (8-player game), Alice, Bob, and Carol all go, and one fail is thrown (failing the mission).

This establishes a tenor for the game. The remaining players know that one (or more, but most likely one) of those three is a spy. If Denise puts all three of those people on a mission together again, then Denise is probably a spy, or she could be intentionally proposing a terrible mission to see who approves it (because if Evan approves it, then Evan's probably a spy, or forgetful).

Meanwhile, if Francis puts Alice and Bob on a mission, she is implicitly accusing Carol of being a spy. It gets rejected, and Gary puts Alice and Carol on a mission, implicitly accusing Bob. How do the reject/approve votes change? If a bunch of people are suddenly approving the mission with Bob, but not with Carol, that's a potential sign for a spy.

Et cetera.

A lot of the game is trying to build a mental model for understanding what motivations different people might have for doing different things. It's something that takes time and practice, and it really helps to have an experienced person or two to talk through the logic behind a situation.

The people nominated and the accept/reject votes go a long way towards revealing information. If you keep probing at it and the logical conclusions that follow, you get far more productive conversations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know someone is a spy there is little point in having a shouting match with that person. I usually remind people "either I'm a spy or Alice is a spy" and watch the spy like a hawk. At some point they may slip up and give me clues as to who the other spies are. A recent game I was on the first mission with a spy who failed the mission. That spy then had to propose a 3 player mission picking himself and two other players. I guessed correctly that the two other players were resistance (the spy didn't want to risk a double fail and thought his proposal might get approved).

Another fun thing to do is ask other players who they think you should put on a mission. Anyone who seems very certain with no decent evidence is suspect. Doing this is particularly fun when you've guessed someone is a spy but they don't realise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm left to assume you played with a very non-social group. I play this game almost exclusively with the same group of people and it never stops bringing excitement. This game is best served with shouting, mistrust, and roleplaying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.