Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

All I'd like to know is: to play this game is enough that just the owner knows English? (I say English, 'cause it's the language I can get this game now).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
No. There's a lot of text in the game. Sure, a lot of it is flavour, but that's what the game's all about, but even if you try to skip that, you still need to read a lot.

The biggest problem comes when the traitor has to read his secret mission and can't read english. He can't ask anyone else, since they will may not know what his mission is, so, all in all, really no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Anvil
msg tools
...unless the owner acts like a "game master" and doesn't play the game, just helps the others with their cards, the Traitor with his mission, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Another question: What about put paste ups over the text of the cards? Do you think it would be easy to do or do they have a lot of text and could result a very difficult labour?

What do you think about the game? Is this a great one? What I'd like to know is if it provides a good gaming experience in terms of interaction, bluffing, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinrondFelagund wrote:
Thanks guys. Another question: What about put paste ups over the text of the cards? Do you think it would be easy to do or do they have a lot of text and could result a very difficult labour?

What do you think about the game? Is this a great one? What I'd like to know is if it provides a good gaming experience in terms of interaction, bluffing, etc.

Lots of text. Not really a short term task.

You have 13 + 22 + 45 cards, several rooms with unique rules and 50 different end-game scenarios (which have secret conditions) that would require translating.
The cards might be avoided with a GM-style reading of cards --- but the game is in the flavour of these texts so a Non English Speaking Background will lose a of of fun by not necessarily fully understanding the flavour.

This game is fun. It is unpredicatble. It mostly relies on luck over anything else. It has player interaction. Often haunts will require cooperation, tactics and strategy to solve them. This can lead to Alpha Player syndrome. Occasionally they will be busted from the get go.

It does not have much bluffing. All items etc. are open information - all that is hidden is your end-game objective between the traitor/monsters and the heroes -- but this said it is usually alluded to and not a lot can be done to "bluff" this.

If you like RPGs but don't want to go through a whole heap of character creation and a unnecessarily complicated and detailed background story/Gm scenario - this is the game to go to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the cards was all I would need translating to play with non English speakers. About information in rooms, isn't it enough that one player understands it and share this information with the others? What about the 50 different scenario endings? Do each player need to read it by themselves? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I haven't played this game and would like to understand its limitations respecting language dependence. I suppose that a game is near to "unplayable in other language" when there's a lot of hidden information, so, what parts of this game enters that category?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone, please, could help me answering my last questions? Mi wife doesn't speak english at all, but the rest of my group is ok with it. A BGG user is selling this game to me and I'd like to be sure about getting it or not. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lennon
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
Really? Another argument about what a word means? Really?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a good idea if only 1 person knows English. Once the haunt starts and the traitor is identified, the traitor must read their scenario and winning conditions alone in secret, while the remaining heros read their scenario and winning conditions in secret. Sometimes the haunt-specific instructions are confusing enough for native English speakers. Being OK at English may not be good enough.

I don't think this will work for you unless you translate all the cards (a lot of work already) and have someone else who won't be playing the game, translate all the scenario instructions (even more work).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so here is a quick run-through of the game. The players play a bunch of people wandering through a creepy house. After a while one of those players will become the Bad Guy. It is random which player will be the Bad Guy. The Bad Guy is one of 50 Randomly determined Bad Guys, each with it's own set of rules and victory conditions, many of which are to be kept secret from all the other players. Then the remaining players must defeat the Bad Guy. The Bad Guy player MUST be able to read and understand, secretly, a potentially large set of special rules and victory conditions.

So, I think the answer you need is that this game is HIGHLY language dependent. All the players must be able to read and understand English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thaks for your advices. I really would have liked to add this game to my collection, but taking into account the language-level limitations of my group, certainly it would be a bad idea. Thanks for your sincerity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't give up. You can find the scenario books in other languages online. Just take some time to search it.

You can also act as the game master for the game. You read every card for them & when the haunt starts, you explain the rules to each side separately.

Yeah being a GM is fun in this game.

You may also find translation of the cards in your own language. I guess someone posted that somewhere in the file section.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends want to try this game but the amount of English text scare them away. I crafted a new set of cards in Chinese for them, so they can enjoy this wonderful game. I added images & new cards too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally I got it. I bought it few days ago. I'm not repented. The price was incredible! 45 dollars for a sealed-never played 2nd edition! Wow...!
Yes, WOW!!! ninja

Also I found both manuals, Traitor's Tome and Secrets of Survival, translated to Spanish, my mother language, so, what can I say? I'm pretty happy and hoping to play it as soon as posible

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultracheng wrote:
My friends want to try this game but the amount of English text scare them away. I crafted a new set of cards in Chinese for them, so they can enjoy this wonderful game. I added images & new cards too.

Woah, really really good looking. Any idea of how much it would cost to make those cards? I made my French translation using cardboard, and let just say that it's not the best looking thing.

Do you have the template for those cards uploaded? Would really love to have those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Schlake
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I know this is a very old post, but I am moving to France this coming year for work and I would love to be able to share this game with my friends there. Unfortunately my French is still at the basic level. Would you still happen to have all of these instructions and cards together and could I somehow get those translations? You're the only person I have seen that even mentioned translating the French, so that would be a big help. Don't know exactly how I would go about getting it from you if you have it, but I thought I might as well ask

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.