6 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: House card drafts and other variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
msg tools
Hello my lords and ladies of Westeros!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a variant on the game called a house card draft. It is what it sounds like, you pick your hand from a drafting method. I have personally played this using a draft method that (I'm told) is similar to a Magic card draft. You start with your own houses hand and pick one card, then pass the hand either left or right. You take one card from each hand and keep passing until everyone has 7 cards. I've only played it once and while it was certainly fun, I can't help but feel it could be improved upon for an even better and more unique playing experience. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences they could share about drafting your hand.

In particular:

-Are there any other draft methods? The one we used seemed to limit you to the cards from neighboring houses. I'm familiar with the 1-6, 6-1 style where all cards start out available, but are there other methods people have tried?

-Has anyone done this with fewer than 6 players? How did you compensate for the lack of one of the hands? (ex if Martell is not in the game, do you include Martell cards in the draft?)

-What are people's preferred strategies/themes when getting a custom hand? Personally I like to pick cards with swords, I find them simple yet satisfying. Has anyone tried going for all written effect cards? All defense? Other strats?

-Other threads have addressed the strengths of high cards (Balon, Loras, Viper/Eddard etc), but who do you pick later in the rounds? Do people have 'surprise' picks they like to go with (ex Doran as first pick)?

If anyone has any other game variants they find to be fun, please share! I've played a 4p game where we only used southern houses (Lanni, Bara, Marty, and Tyrell) and it was super fun! Any cool 5p variants that have been tried (ex no stark, no greyjoy, etc)?

Hopefully this thread will start some fresh discussion on a board that seems to have become a bit stale in recent months

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5p Variant (NO GJ) is my personal favorite, have played it several times. Pyke is unassailable, 4 strength neutral force token in Seaguard. Standard House Cards for the other 5 houses, standard set-up as 6p otherwise. 6p King's Court influence track (only 1 House with no Stars).

House Tyrell has the Sword.

It works for us.

Lannister is very strong in this variant, which is a huge change since they always get pummeled in 6p RAW (they are the most frequently eliminated House in 6p RAW by far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steek Hutsey
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, in the draft game I'm playing here on the forums we put litterally everything in the draft: House Cards, Houses, and starting Track Positions, and it's really fun! (You can find it Here if you are curious, and want to see me get wrecked )
We also had no limitations on how your hand can be composed (so we ended up with people having two cards with 4 CS and others with none, etc..).
I've also seen people include the cards fron the DwD expansion, or assign the Houses before the draft and allow everyone to secure 1 of their Houses' cards (i.e. Greyjoy can keep Balon for himself etc..).

If you take a look at the games here on these boards you will find a lot of other variants as well: team games, OP Wildlings, custom made House Cards and other crazy stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kal Ixor
Ireland
flag msg tools
The word "variant" is in your thread title...and you still put it in the Strategy forum?

What do you do with cards like Roose and Davos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger 19
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalix wrote:

What do you do with cards like Roose and Davos?

Roose isn't linked to any other card. We often talk about the Roose-Eddard combo but in fact Roose can work alone, just resolve his ability and it works alone.

About Ser Davos, I've seen 2 possibilities:

1- He still refers to Stannis, even if Stannis is in another House deck.

2- He now refers to your highest CS card, a card you choose at the beginning of the game and keep Ser Davos linked to it all game long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Kalix wrote:
The word "variant" is in your thread title...and you still put it in the Strategy forum?

Because I want strategies regarding the different variants...or something like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.