Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
How long have I worn this wristwatch? Have I had this watch for twenty years?

I know I did not have it in high school. At that time I wore a series of Army Green Timexes, which fell apart rapidly. I think I was in college when a Seiko I was wearing fell out of its housing while I was hauling ass on a bike, skittering across the pavement and landing perfectly in a sewer grate. It was such a legendary shot that I couldn't help but to smile. I think my current watch was the replacement for that one.

I have a memory that this Seiko was purchased at Target for thirty bucks. However, that memory could be false, like so many others.

When I synchronize it to the USNO Master Clock each month, it's gained about twenty seconds. I am pleased by this accuracy. When the battery runs out, the watch does not become less accurate over time. It simply dies. I appreciate this direct approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had my cell phone a couple years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should rewrite this as a haiku.

I believe the oldest thing I have that I purchased myself is a plastic brush I got in the 70's. It's hip, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucio Rodriguez
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yep, more words here.
badge
This is overtext. Man, what an awesome use of 100 geekgold! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

Your hairbrush just came back into style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have the first wallet I ever owned, a nylon and velcro thing that someone got me when I was 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have my wife I picked up over 20 years ago. She's annoying from time to time but I'm sticking with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
I think you should rewrite this as a haiku.

Cheap Seiko wristwatch
Precise at passing seconds
But your age is lost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a clasp knife on the table in front of me that I bought in 1984-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a t-shirt that I bought in 1988. I have things that are older than that, but I didn't buy them myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I retired in 11/07, took off my watch that day and stuck in a drawer, never to be worn again.

I am annoyed when I know what time it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still occasionally wear a time shackle (wristwatch), but usually it sits on my dresser. Like Orangemoose, I find, it's good to be retired!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I bought a new wallet. My old wallet was a gift from a co-worker over 20 years ago.

I also just bought a new handbag and still haven't changed over to it. My old one must be at least 9 years old.

I don't like shopping much...at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Swiss Army knife I got as an award for selling either trash bags or fertilizer as a Boy Scout fund raiser 38 years ago.

Yea, the Girl Scouts sold cookies, we sold lawn fertilizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja I intentionally stopped wearing a watch a few years back. I consciously made this decision after spending a particularly boring work-shift looking at the watch every five minutes. I ended the tyranny of time that night. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
I still have the first wallet I ever owned, a nylon and velcro thing that someone got me when I was 8.

Do you still USE that wallet, or just have it in a box/drawer/shelf somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My wife sneaked up behind me while I was working in the garden. I was so startled I soiled myself.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was trying to decide what was the oldest thing I still own that I bought new, for myself? The first thing that came to mind was my cell phone, a Kyocera K7 Slider, that I bought in March of 2005 -- so nine years old. Then I thought of my copy of Star Wars: Escape From Death Star Game which I bought in the fall of 1977, IIRC.

But finally, I believe the oldest thing I bought for myself new and still own is my boxed set of The Hobbit and LotR, which I spent some of my lawn-mowing money on during my junior year in high school. It is the 44th printing, done in September, 1973, and I would have bought it sometime early in '74. I remember using it as reference for a research paper in senior English ('74-'75), and it was already well-thumbed by then:

Someone gifted me another, identical set, a few years later, except that one had gold paper around the box instead of red. I believe my daughter has that set in her room right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Orangemoose wrote:
I retired in 11/07, took off my watch that day and stuck in a drawer, never to be worn again.

I am annoyed when I know what time it is

I bet the hospital loves you - "Well what time was I meant to be here? You mean it isn't 11 O'clock?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, you have a watch on and you're asking us how long you've had it?

Ask the thing that keeps track of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to wear a watch daily, for a long time it was Timex Indiglo, but their bands weren't great and didn't last all that long. Eventually they stopped manufacturing the band that matched the watch I owned. And then the watch itself failed. I bought at least 1 or 2 other Timex Indiglo Ironman watches, but didn't like them so much as my old one.
Then I finally found a metal watch I liked. I wore it for quite a few years and for some reason tired of it. Now I don't wear a watch. But with my cell phone there is no question what time it is, so I'm not at a loss. I do miss the convenience of being able to glance at my wrist to tell time, but not so much as to wear a watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same brain that I was given at birth......whereas most Americans throw theirs away during high school and don't bother to get a replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.