Subject: Discarding Jobs you have already accepted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming partner and I have a question about whether or not you can discard jobs you've already accepted. Accepted, meaning that you have gone through the job pile and have chosen which jobs to keep.

I thought there was a rule in the book that if you have a job you have accepted but is not active, you can discard it back into the pile it came from when you consider new jobs. However, I haven't been able to find this rule in the rule book since last looking through it. My gaming partner now thinks this might have been a "house rule" I came across on these forums.

The situation we actually came across while playing was that my partner lost all of the cargo he needed to complete a delivery job and had no money to replace it. So the job was just taking up a slot in his active area. We ruled that he couldn't get rid of it, but I couldn't remember if there was specific rule in the rule book that stated he couldn't do so. We later discussed that it might be possible for him to discard the job but lose solidity with the contact for doing so (and still encountering Niska's pound of flesh rule for his jobs).

In any case, I couldn't find any rule in the rule book specifically stating whether you can or cannot discard jobs after accepting them. I was wondering what other people had to say on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no discarding of jobs. If you get stuck with one clogging a slot, that's the risk one takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's what I thought. I don't know where I got the idea one could do otherwise. Though, I think one could certainly make arguments for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See the official FAQ if you need verification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stim
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So long as the you are talking about Inactive Jobs, see Page 4 of the FAQ (Ver 3).

Question: Can I discard Inactive Jobs from my hand?

Answer: Anytime you end up with more than 3 Jobs in your hand, you must discard back down to 3 cards. The discarded Jobs go back to their
respective Contact’s discard pile.

Example: Pete has three Jobs already in his hand and uses an Action to Deal with Badger. He draws three cards from Badger’s deck and accepts two of them. At this point, he has five Jobs in his hand and must discard two of them. He may not discard more than two - you always discard down to three Jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's where I got the idea that would could discard a job you had already accepted. Thank you.

After some discussion, I think we're going to house rule that once you take a job, you can't get rid of it, regardless of whether or not it is active. That just makes more sense to us. I can't see it going over well if you agree to do a job for Badger and them come back and say "Uh, sorry, nevermind." lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do what works best for you and yours, but I would think that house-ruling that you can't replace/discard Inactive Jobs is going to make the quite a bit more difficult.

The way I view it, Inactive jobs are "jobs you're aware of." Maybe You and Badger have talked about it. Maybe you're one of three crews Niska has offered the job to... Maybe Harken has made a public posting of the job...

Once they become active, that's when the contact knows, "Yeah, I'm in." So before that time, no harm if you don't follow through. After, though? Serious breach if you don't finish the job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heidi Stewart
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting take on it. I've always thought of the Job deck as jobs that are available, the jobs in your hands as ones you have accepted, and the active jobs as ones you are in the process of completing.

We've played it this whole time as not being able to draw jobs if you have three inactive ones (didn't realize the FAQ stated otherwise), and we only switched out inactive jobs if we had two or less. So it's not going to make things all that more difficult if we just rule out not being able to replace inactive jobs at all.

To each their own, as you say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heidirs wrote:
That's where I got the idea that would could discard a job you had already accepted. Thank you.

After some discussion, I think we're going to house rule that once you take a job, you can't get rid of it, regardless of whether or not it is active. That just makes more sense to us. I can't see it going over well if you agree to do a job for Badger and them come back and say "Uh, sorry, nevermind." lol.

Except that is what they did with Niska. Of course it cost them later on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the FAQ it states that you discard your active job/s if you get a warrant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just the one your working on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's interesting to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And to further clarify, it can only be from a Work Action related to that particular Job.

So, a Warrant from a Nav Card will not force a Job Discard nor Niska's 'Special Rule', but getting one during a Misbehave while attempting a Crime Job or the Misbehave portion of a Smuggling Job will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petromir Brookendil
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thematically the point at which a jobs no longer available to be done by others is when you start working on it. An inactive job is still doable by others. Mechanically theres no consistent way for others to take over jobs past this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.