Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The BC150 support site that has been up since February 2014 now features 35 more scenarios to add to the 30 supplied in the game. Three are by Richard Borg himself. The site is by the same people that bring you the other Borg gaming sites, and can be found at www.ccbattlecry.net.

While I've only just started playing them, they fill many holes in the original coverage, such as Chancellorsville, the First Day of Gettysburg, late war battles, etc. There are also a few EPIC Scenarios. All print out easily so far.

If you haven't checked out this site yet, just go to it and look at their long list (including the official scenarios) by clicking on "SCENARIOS" at the top of the home page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. Do you know how you play the epic scenarios? Do you just need a second set? Do the maps fit together? Do you need to make adjustments to the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since their scenarios are by different people, there is no one rule. I think their scenarios use the Vassal computer system that people use to play online with each other (I don't), and these are non-Vassal summaries, working backwards from that--the different unit symbols used, for example are simple, and I think from that system as well.

Yes, in EPIC there are some changes to the cards, and the two maps fit together. I have the original Battle Cry as well as BC150, (for exactly this reason, to play EPIC) so its pretty easy for me--see my thread "The Chas Epic Battle Cry150" on this site about a page down from here and also submitted to the Files section below, where I have my own system to do it, if you like. There are only about three EPIC scenarios over on the other site so far, and I think I actually got them from this site a while ago.

The guys there assume you know about BORG Command & Colors games, and I happen to own them all, with all their expansions. So for example when they say in one scenario "use the Nighttime Chart," I know they mean the one from Memoir 44, and have it to use. But in most of their scenarios all is well explained, and self contained without needing anything else but the main game. They have their own forums over there, if you want comment or ask questions.

I posted here because I was surprised they didn't, and I had to get the information indirectly from another discussion. On other bgg game boards they've been more of a presence, and I've been to their sites on the Borg Ancient, Napoleonic, and Samurai games. M44 is pretty well supported by its publishing company, but Battle Lore not so much any more, since they redid the game to an incompatible new version.

All positive (or at least polite) comments are welcome, as usual.

(Edit) I have made a chronological list of all the official and unofficial (from the site noted above) scenarios, for a total of 65, and submitted it to the Files section below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. I play all the other Borg games, other than Samurai Battles. I really enjoy the sites for Ancients and Napoleonics and was pleased to learn about BattleCry. I have always wanted to play an Epic scenario. Wish there was more official support for the game, but I recognize that this is unlikely. I wish GMT had this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

While I've only just started playing them, they fill many holes in the original coverage, such as Chancellorsville, the First Day of Gettysburg, late war battles, etc. There are also a few EPIC Scenarios. All print out easily so far.

What settings/size do you use to print them? 'Cause, unlike with the M44 scenarios on DAW, the couple of times I've tried to print anything off of the C&C websites, it was a mess, and required some significant manual reformatting (copying the picture and text separately to a word doc, etc.) to get it close to usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
What settings/size do you use to print them?

Take a close look on the single initial scenario posts in the forum,
exmple here:

http://ccbattlecry.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topi...

maybe you find something else like an "Attachment" whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wish there was more official support for the game, but I recognize that this is unlikely. I wish GMT had this!

Not only you wish it arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
devil I've played a couple of the scenarios with a pal, and now three solo. Wah-Hoo! The first solo thing I did was blow up the Crater at Petersburg, which led to a stunning Union victory. Hurrah! I assumed that if a CSA unit was blown up it counted for a Union victory point. That's the only question that's come up in five scenarios so far, and I think its pretty obvious.

I use my default setting to print them out. They are a little small. If you click on their printer icon, it comes out a bit larger, but then takes three pages instead of two. Once I've got them, I cut off the left margin, top and bottom--all the extra site stuff that has nothing to do with playing the scenario itself. I've got them all now, and used up about $30 in printer ink, but didn't mind a bit! Hope to see even more scenarios in the future, as the ACW is an inexhaustible source of actions. A couple of them are duplicate subjects, but done differently.

Hasbro is unfortunately famous for hanging on to their properties even if they wait 20 years to do something with them (or not). Its sort of like saying "If I can't rule the world; I'll blow it up." Clearly their conglomerate is not run by gamers! So "Unofficial" scenarios are the way to go. Many were once done for the original version of Battle Cry long ago, but I had great trouble finding them or printing them out back then.

I understand Richard Borg has his own enhancements, like an extra card deck for the game, but is probably unable to put anything out there legally. That's why I went with my own Epic version, as I'm sure many others have already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it would be nice if Hasbro would let go...or give some continued support....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past few days I've solitaired about a dozen of the scenarios, and enjoyed them immensely! Its great that so many different people have taken the time to create such varied and challenging battles. None of them are as one sided as I expected they might be. The few clarifications needed are very minor, and easy to figure out for yourself. Occasionally you need a few extra figures or terrain pieces from a second set, but you can always proxy them if you don't have it.

I'm sure that Mr. Borg is just as disappointed at the company handling of the game as we are. Thanks to him and everyone else involved in expanding the fun we can have with this fine design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayernkini wrote:
Quote:
What settings/size do you use to print them?

Take a close look on the single initial scenario posts in the forum,
exmple here:

http://ccbattlecry.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topi...

maybe you find something else like an "Attachment" :whistle:

Fair enough. Had not noticed that before.

Obviously, one cannot complain too much about something that is free . . . but I would still like to point out the CC websites could be more intuitive (for this example, it would be better if the printable scenario were prominently displayed, maybe linked to the "print" button, when you clicked on the scenario; those unfamiliar with the site are not always going to guess you are supposed to go to the forum post instead).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played through all of the new scenarios except the Epic ones, and found them to be delightful. Most I did solitaire so far, but for half a dozen I had a live opponent. The coverage of the ACW is much fuller regarding both years and locations. Of course, there are still many more battles they could do for us, and I hope they continue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the fansite gone? I get nothing when I try to open the page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:
Is the fansite gone? I get nothing when I try to open the page...

Yeah, it all appears to be gone! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weaver
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These both work:

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/battlecry/scenes.html

http://www.commandsandcolors.net/battlecry/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! You rock!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.