Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday afternoon 8 of us got together for a game of Twilight Imperium. Normally I don't care for games that run more than 3 hours but I had played Twilight Imperium for the first time about 2 years ago and even though that game lasted 5 1/2 hours with 6 players and I had no idea what I was doing, the time just flew by and it was a very fun, engaging gaming experience. Yesterday I had the chance to play my second game of TI when one of our local TI gurus
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
set up and hosted yesterdays game of epic intersteller empire building. Here are the leaders of these ancient civilizations who were brave enough to show up and battle for the right to be the Imperial Ruler of the Galaxy:

Justin BLACK - The Naalu Collective - Host, organizer, patient teacher and one of the most experienced TI players at the table.

Keith
RED - The Nekro Virus - Keith the Amish Mennonite has about 5-6 games of TI under his belt.

Beth YELLOW - The Clan of Saar - Beth AKA The Queen of Corruption was a first time TI player.

Matt PURPLE - The Winnu - Matt the Goatee was another first time TI player.

Ed GREEN - The Federation - Ed the Experienced Expert. Ed also helped teach the game and just like Justin, Ed is a very patient helpful teacher. Ed has at least 50 plays of TI under his belt and did bring these really cool player aid sheets to help keep track of all your techs and what they do.

Brady ORANGE - The Hacan - Brady AKA The Most Easy Going Laid Back Gamer. He has about 5 games of TI under his belt.

James GREY - The Ghosts of Creuss - James the Pacifist was another first time player and a really cool neighbor to sit down next to. He only attacked me once the whole game and when he did, he apologized

Mike BLUE - The L1Z1X Mindnet - AKA The Little Kid Stuck in the Old Man's Body. This was my 2nd game of TI.

Myself and a few of the new players met at Justin's house about 11:30am so Justin could give us a quick rules/strategy explanation of the game. This was very helpful and I highly recommend it whenever you have new players in the game. Ed and Brady showed up around 12:30 and by 1:00 we were building the galaxy. I really enjoy this portion of the game and it helped that I had some good systems with multiple planets on them as well as an Asteroid Field which I placed on the other side of the board. Ed explained that we were going to use the Age of Empires rule where the first 6 Public Objectives are all open and available at the start of the game. He said this would make the game play much fastershake Do NOT ever believe anyone when they tell you that they have a variant that makes this game play faster. There is NO such thing. This is not meant to be a FAST game so just accept the fact that you will spend the majority of your day and night playing this game!

I was The L1Z1X Mindnet and started with 4 pretty good techs. When we were picking our races my other option was The Yssaril Tribes. I had a hard time deciding which race to play but The L1Z1X looked much more menacing and if I am going to rule the whole galaxy I need to look menacing. Time for me to move out and take Mecatol Rex. In Round 1 I took the Tech Strategy card which meant I would go 7th, but it would allow me to get my 5th tech. On my first turn I expanded and landed on a few planets to get me some more resources and influence. My Home World had 5 resources but 0 influence. On my next turn I took a Dreadnaught which had Stasis Capsules and expanded to another system to my right and grabbed another planet. I waited till everyone had used up most of their resources and strategy counters before I popped my strategy card strategy card and took my new tech. My secret objective was to get all 6 of my PDS on the game board so I took the Deep Space Cannon thinking that if I was going to have all 6 of them on the board they may as well have some bite to them. Hopefully a great defense will lead to a great offense. The first round came to an end without any combat and most of the players had expanded and built some more ships. I built a PDS and another carrier. Matt the Winnu had expanded to a planet and found an Ancient Artifact for the first VP of the game. At the end of Round 1, I scored a VP for completing the Public Objective of having 5 techs. Matt and a few other players scored one of the 6 public objectives, so Matt was the early leader with 2 vp while about half of us had 1. Here is what the board looked like at the end of Round 1.

Round 2 gets started around 3:30. Hmmmmmm, let me do some public school math. The first round took 2 hours and we have 9 rounds to go, another 18 hours????? This is a really fun game and we have a great group of people but 18 hoursshake In the Strategy Phase for Round 2 I took the Imperial Card which meant I would go last. Everyone continued to play nice and just expand and produce. We had a politic card played that was voted into law causing Red Techs to cost 4 more resources for the rest of the game. I explored and landed ground forces on a planet and found an ancient artifact for a VP. I was also able to score another public objective for having 1 of each colored tech card.

Board at the end of round 2:

Round 2 went a little faster and even though we had lots of snacks everyone was getting hungry. Justin ordered some pizza and Morgan brought it home. It takes a lot of energy trying to conquer the galaxy. Round 3 was about the same as round 2 except we finally had a small battle as Justin and the Naalu tried to settle a planet which was adjacent to one of my systems that had 2 planets with 2 PDS on 1 planet and 1 on another. With my Deep Space Cannons the PDS fired away trying to protect the system next to us. We destroyed 1 of his fighters. Up until that point I had been existing pretty peacefully between the Naalu to my left and the Ghosts of Creuss to my right. There was an empty A wormhole system right between Justin and I. There was an isolated system that was off the main board that had both an A and B wormhole in it. It also had a planet that had an artifact token on it. It was sitting right between Justin and Keith and no one had explored it yet. I moved a few ships and some ground forces into the empty A wormhole system hoping that in round 4 I would be the first to get there and try to get the artifact, hoping it was a VP. Keith had several ships on another A wormhole in the area between him and Beth and I was worried he was going to make the move there. While I was concentrating on my side of the galaxy Matt was moving closer to Mecatol Rex and he had the lead in VP with 6 as he had already completed his private objective. Brady was over in his own corner building quite a fleet of Dreadnaughts and Cruisers. It was just a mass of orange. James was a nice buffer between Brady and me although he did take a Blue Planet that I needed to get the public objective. I told him I needed that and was going to attack him. He said, please don't attack me and I will move out of there on the next turn. Well ok then, friendly neighbor, maybe these Ghost of Creuss are not such bad guys after all. I may just let them live in peace.

Board at the end of Round 3:

Round 4 saw the beginning of some classic space battles between Matt and Beth and Keith and Beth. There had been a vote to give someone a 1 VP Election Card and Beth won the vote. Unfortunately Beth and the peaceful Clan of Saar was trapped between the nasty Nekro Virus on one side and The Winnu on the other side. Beth had the political card that was worth 1 VP to whoever owned it. It could be stolen from you if you lost a battle. Matt launched the first salvo and blew up Beth's Destroyer and Carrier, then destroyed her ground forces taking the planet and the VP Election Card. He now had 6 VP and certainly had a target on him. On the very next turn Keith and the Nekro attacked the Saar Clan.

This is the Nekro (RED) attacking the Saar (Yellow)

Beth played an action card which gave her minelayers and she destroyed his Carrier and Destroyer stopping his invasion. Keith and the Nekro are desperate to win a battle because then he can copy and steal one of your techs. This is the only way they can get more techs. While all this fighting is going on at the other side of the galaxy I move a few cruisers and a Dreadnaught along with some ground forces through my A wormhole and go to the isolated A/B wormhole system. I explore the planet and take the Ancient Artifact which turns out to be another VP. Hey, I am only 1 point behind Matt and I know I can build my 5th and 6th PDS this round to complete my Private Objective by the end of the round. Brady and James start battling right next to me, well actually Brady launches a huge invasion against the Ghosts but they hold him off and destroy several Dreadnaughts and Cruisers in the process. Keith and Beth continue to attack each other back and forth throughout the round basically taking turns wiping each other out of a system. Keith does start to amass some nice tech cards. Ed and The Federation is slowly building and expanding but does a good job of staying out of the fighting for now. I od get all 6 of my PDS on the board and also complete another public objective so I am actually able to score 3 vp this round.

Board at the End of Round 4:

During the Strategy Phase of Round 5, I take the Logistics card and get some much needed Command and Strategy Counters. This also allows me to expand my fleet size to 4. Keith and Beth are starting to remind me of an old married couple as they continue fighting in Round 5 with Keith playing a First Strike card. In between some epic battles between Keith and Beth, Beth decides to colonize an Asteroid Field. She had a special ability that allowed her to do that. At least Keith won't attack her there.

Brady and The Hacan launch another massive strike against James and The Ghosts with 3 Dreadnaughts, 3 Cruisers, and Ground Forces vs 3 Dreadnaughts, The Ghosts Flagship, 1 PDS, 3 Fighters, 1 Cruiser and some Ground Fighters. Needless to say The Ghosts won that battle wiping out The Hacan's entire invading forces. I move a few of my ships and a ground force from my A/B isolated Wormhole system attacking Keith and the Nekro in his Wormhole system. All I want to do is to blockade his Space Dock for another Public Objective. I am successful. but by this time Matt has attacked and taken Metacol Rex and he has the Imperial Strategy Card so he will be at 8 VP by the end of the round and could potentially win the game if he can complete his Secret Objective. Ed and the Federation figure out what is going on and begin attacking Matt and the Winnu. Battles are breaking out everywhere.

The Winnu attack Metacol Rex:

We make it to the end of Round 5 and Matt is still at 8 VP, while I have 8 and Keith also has 8, with Ed having 7. Here are the planets I still controlled after all the fighting during Round 5:

Going into Round 6, Ed revealed the Hidden Objective card for Round 7. I'm not sure if it was a political card or the objective card but either way it stated that the game would immediately end after the 7th Round regardless of the score unless someone got to 10 VP before that. There were still 2 Public Objectives that I had not scored yet and my Secret Objective would give me 2 more VP but I did not think that I could get it done in time. I knew at this point of the game that I could easily score both Public Objectves that were left because I already had one of them completed but I had just not scored it yet. I also knew that I had to either get Mecatol Rex from Matt and the Winnu or I had to move across the board and attack Ed and The Federation to steal his Ancient Artifact for another VP. I had been holding a Flank Action card which allowed me to move all my ships going into a system 1 more space than they can normally move. Things were setting up nicely if I could just get everything in position and if we could make it to Round 7 without Matt or anyone else winning. I built my Flagship and another Dreadnaught and some Cruisers. I got most of my ships in the hex adjacent to Mecatol Rex for my final invasion in the next round. I had to save some Command and Strategy tokens so that I would have 3 to turn in for the last public objective in the next round. Justin was about to make a huge move when Beth played an Action Card that assassinated his scientist. The Old Married Couple continue their fighting and bickering over planets while Ed is doing everything in his power to stop Matt. By the end of Round 6 I have 9 VP and Matt is still at 8 while Keith and Ed are at 7. It is about 10:30 at night and we had been playing for 9 hours. Ed asks everyone if they just want to concede and give me the game or do we want to play till the finish. Every single person including myself wanted to play the last and final round. No quitters in this group. What a great group of players. This also speaks volumes about how the fun and exciting the game was. I had no idea we had been playing that long. The game is so engaging that the time just flew by.

End of Round 6: My L1Z1X are all set for their final push to wipe out the hated Winnu and take Mecatol.

Matt and The Winnu have a few Cruisers and a Dreadnaught and 1 ground force left on Mecatol Rex. I get the Imperial Card so if I can take Mecatol Rex I will have the win. I also still had 1 public objective I had not completed and I had several Action Cards that would be very helpful during space battles as well as the Flank card which gives me the extra move. I also had picked up the XRD Transporter tech so now my Carriers could also move an extra space. I am all primed to attack Mecatol and remove The Winnu from my rightful planet when BAM, Matt plays a card that makes us diplomatic buddies and another card that makes him immune on Mecatol. Ok, so much for the best laid plans of mice and men. Time to move over and attack ED and The Federation for that Ancient Artifact and the final VP. There are battles going on all over the board during Round 7 and even Peaceful James and The Ghosts of Creeus attack me. What happened to our peace treaty James. We go several turns and I can see that Ed is moving all over the board and only has 1 Cruiser and a Ground Force now protecting the Ancient Artifact. Since I am Imperial this round I always have to wait for everyone to take their turns. Finally everything is in place and I put my Command Counter in Ed's system and activate it, immediately revealing my Flank card. I move in and damage his ship on the first round of combat and he destroys one of my fighters. I had the Hylar Assault Laser on my Cruiser and the Assault Cannon on my Dreadnaught and finally destroyed his ship and took the planet and Ancient Artifact for the win.

All I can say is WOW! We had been playing the same game for 10 hours and it went by in a blink. This is a fantastic game and now I truly know what it means to play in an EPIC game. Please don't be afraid of the time it takes to play this beautiful game. Just be aware that it will NEVER be a fast game and plan accordingly. The game is worth every minute that you invest in it. I want to take a moment to say thank you to Ed and Justin for being such great teachers and for helping everyone including myself throughout the game. With their positive attitudes and game knowledge they made this a wonderful gaming experience for me and I hope for everyone else.
I also want to say thanks to all of the other players who were very good opponents and very fun to play with. They were all great sports and I would play this again tomorrow if I had 10 hours to spare.

This was by far the BEST 10 hours of gaming I have ever had!

Justin, I am sorry but I had the hardest time remembering your moves even though you were right next to me. I do remember that you spent a lot of your time answering my questions and helping me with my moves and I really do appreciate it. I hope that you and Ed as well as the other players add to this post and fill in some of your turns and actions throughout the game. I am sure I forgot some major points that people who know the game would like to hear about.

When are we playing again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Cheers!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The BEST 10 Hours of Gaming: 8 Player Twilight Imperium
Great Report! Thx a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizix Mindnet
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds nice !
only question is why there are 3 red-bordered systems side by side ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lizix wrote:
sounds nice !
only question is why there are 3 red-bordered systems side by side ?

Very good question which I will have to defer to the rules experts at the table. I do know that I placed the 1 red bordered asteroid field I had on the other side of the board to slow down those players from expanding and reaching Mecatol Rex.

Justin or Ed, can you please jump in and answer this? If I remember right we each got 7 tiles-hexes in our hand and they used 4 random ones to make the inner ring around Mecatol Rex, then we each got to place one but always had to at least place a system with a planet every other turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kansiewicz
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you put well Mike, two of those red systems were placed blindly and randomly as part of setup, and the we're not revealed until the entire galaxy was assembled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rio
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harlaquinne wrote:
I think you put well Mike, two of those red systems were placed blindly and randomly as part of setup, and the we're not revealed until the entire galaxy was assembled.

Effectively yes, Keith. The gravity rift planet system and the asteroid belt were both placed by players face up, and at the time were not adjacent to each other. Then when the 4 random systems adjacted to MR were flipped the supernova was one of them.

Edit(add): The random face down thing is in 3rd paragraph of 7 & 8 player setup in SE rules, page 8. Remember to not remove 2 random systems as the second paragraph (a single sentence) tells you to, as per the errata(page 8).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
harlaquinne wrote:

Ok, that's right. Now I remember we did not turn over the 4 random ones until after all of us had placed and it was just pure luck (good or bad depending on which side of the board you were on) that one of the random unrevealed tiles/hexes was also a red bordered one and actually then connected the other 2 red tiles/hexes.

That was over 10 hours before I became Supreme-Imperial Ruler of the Galaxy and since it was before my Rule began it would have been the fault of one of those other Crown grabbing races
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read the post, but you get a thumb and Geek Gold for an eight-player, ten hour game. I used to play with morons who thought Twilight Imperium was a four-player game.

What a bunch of maroons.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I didn't read the post, but you get a thumb and Geek Gold for an eight-player, ten hour game. I used to play with morons who thought Twilight Imperium was a four-player game.

What a bunch of maroons.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the geek gold. It was a great game with 8 and I'm not even sure how it took 10 hours because none of the players had AP. the game is just epic and epics are meant to last for a really long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Spencer
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mb

Having played my last game on tabletop day, a six player six hour game, I was motivated to spend 10 hours the last couple days painting my 6 fleets. Not quite as much fun as playing a 10 hour 8 player game but I enjoyed it and look forward to the next time I get to play. Thanks for the session report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reasonably quick TI clocks in at 1 hour per player minimum, so 10 hours for 8 players is not bad. My last 5 player game with 3 new players lasted 8 hours counting the rules explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mademan wrote:

Having played my last game on tabletop day, a six player six hour game, I was motivated to spend 10 hours the last couple days painting my 6 fleets. Not quite as much fun as playing a 10 hour 8 player game but I enjoyed it and look forward to the next time I get to play. Thanks for the session report.

The paint job on your ships looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what is weird, I can't for the life of me figure out what takes so long in TI. I did not think that anyone playing in our 8-player TI game had major AP issues. I think we each usually did about 4 things in each round. I mean you only have so many command and strategy tokens:

1)Expand/Explore
2)Build/Produce
3)Fight/Space or Ground Battles
4)Action Card
5)Strategy Card

None of those things should take very long if you have pre-planned and are ready for your turn. Ok, I just remembered one that takes a long time. Whenever someone plays their Strategy Card, we have to go around the whole table and give everyone else a chance to play the secondary strategy. Of course if someone plays a political card then we have to discuss and vote which is also time consuming.

What else makes TI take so long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:

What else makes TI take so long?

Haggling, scheming, threatening, begging, wheeling/dealing, plotting,etc.

And that's what it's so damn good.

Great report, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry to necro this thread but I stumpled about it with google. There is one important thing to really speed up your game and that is obviously: LESS PLAYERS.

7 and 8 players make the game incredibly slow because not only the linear added time per player but the added ring which means it takes more TURNS to reach some places. I really prefer a 6 player game and think this is where TI3 shines best. Yes I have played with 8 and I love the game but 7,8 does simply not add this extra value. I rather play 2 games with 6-8 hours (not on the same day obviously) than one game with 10-11 hours as the last hours really drag and the first hours do as well. The tension is the highest with 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.