Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alethea and I played this for the first time last night. We used my 4-5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6 hexagonal layout. She is not very good at spatial games, so I was afraid she wouldn't like it. As it turned out, she enjoyed it quite a bit! I ended up winning 54-43, which was a lot closer than either of us expected. I had carved out a large ice floe but it had mostly 1 and 2 fish on it, while her tiny area was chock full of fish, and she had been intentional about hopping onto threes earlier in the game. It also became apparent that I had not made it clear that a penguin can hop farther than the adjacent hex until halfway through the game. She had the bad habit of stranding her penguins by stepping onto the end of a peninsula and wants to do better on this next time.

Her observation in the title about what the game is like is actually pretty close: there is a skill set of maneuvering penguins to avoid traps like Alethea found herself in that does need to be mastered before you can apply strategies of carving out floes for yourself and horning in on others' floes. As such, players not too familiar with abstracts might not find this the best gateway to eurogames, although it is undeniably a great gateway to abstracts. I think that in our next game, we'll play that whoever has a mobile penguin last wins, and forget about fish counts. This should be a good way to focus on movement skills.

With a toddler and two-month-old, we don't get much gaming time anymore. Setting up the hexes together makes this a quick way to get a game fix--and Alethea gains some spatial skill too! This looks to be hitting our table a lot in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What peg game at Cracker Barrel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Probably the wooden triangle with the golf tees in the drilled holes (minus 1 so you can make jumps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is:

Each turn you jump one peg with another. Keep going until you have no more turns. The number of pegs remaining is your score. There's one on every table at Cracker Barrel restaurants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.