Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I come back with some more questions:

1) 9.4 Forming a National: “Beginning with the player that purchased the train that caused the new Train Phase to begin, proceeding in player order each player may convert one or more of their majors into nationals.”.

11.6.4 Forced Train Purchases: “The president must use personal cash to make up the difference between the cash in the RR’s treasury and the purchase price of the train. A president that does not have enough cash to do so must immediately surrender all personal cash to the bank and convert the major to a national”.

Can we conclude that every time a president converts hir/her major to a national that has no trains and the president has not enough cash to buy the train, must surrender all personal cash to the bank?

2) 12.2 First Time Bonus (The OE run): I find the rules regarding the mandatory OE run (last two paragraphs) very confusing. My understanding in brief is that a major is not obligated to run the OE on the 1st occasion but it is on next one. Correct?

3) 14.8 Hochberg Mining & Lumber Co: “The token on the Map must be placed in a hex that has a rough terrain (green) construction cost of at least £45”. I guess it doesn’t matter whether there are track tiles laid on it or not. It only matters the construction cost of the terrain. Correct?

4) 15.11 Minor L. I guess this marker is never lost and even if the train attached to is rusted, therefore it can be always reassigned. Correct?

As always, many thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

1) A National is allowed to run rusted trains. A National is allowed to reclaim rusted trains from the Locomotive Works at no cost. So the President does not need to chip in money to buy a National a train. Note that Rule 11.6.4 on Forced Train Purchases only applies to a Major.

2) No, a Major is only obliged to run it's OE run if that is the only way to run for maximum revenue.

3) Correct, though there's no point placing the token (and thus giving up the income for the Private) unless you are actually going to use the token to increase a run's revenue.

4) Yes, it can always be reassigned to a train of that company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius wrote:
Hi!

I come back with some more questions:

1) 9.4 Forming a National: “Beginning with the player that purchased the train that caused the new Train Phase to begin, proceeding in player order each player may convert one or more of their majors into nationals.”.

11.6.4 Forced Train Purchases: “The president must use personal cash to make up the difference between the cash in the RR’s treasury and the purchase price of the train. A president that does not have enough cash to do so must immediately surrender all personal cash to the bank and convert the major to a national”.

Can we conclude that every time a president converts hir/her major to a national that has no trains and the president has not enough cash to buy the train, must surrender all personal cash to the bank?

No, that is only during forced train purchases.

There are two moments when you can convert a company to a national: immediately after a train is bought that makes other trains obsolete; and when a president cannot pay for a new train.

In the first case, if the major that wants to convert has a train, the national keeps that train.
If the major has a train that is about to be rusted, the national also keeps that train.
If the major does not have a train, the national has no train, but it is not obliged to buy a train until the OR turn of that national. (And then, it gets its trains for free.

Quote:
2) 12.2 First Time Bonus (The OE run): I find the rules regarding the mandatory OE run (last two paragraphs) very confusing. My understanding in brief is that a major is not obligated to run the OE on the 1st occasion but it is on next one. Correct?

No.

A company either has to run for its maximal possible revenue, OR it can choose routes with a lower total revenue if this means it can make its first OE run this turn.
You may freely choose not to make that first OR turn now, and just run for maximal revenue. Unless the maximal revenue can only be obtained by making the OR run; then both options are the same, and you have no choice.

Next turn (and all alter turns until you've made your first OR turn), you can again choose between the same options.

Quote:
3) 14.8 Hochberg Mining & Lumber Co: “The token on the Map must be placed in a hex that has a rough terrain (green) construction cost of at least £45”. I guess it doesn’t matter whether there are track tiles laid on it or not. It only matters the construction cost of the terrain. Correct?

Yes, I believe so.

Don't know about minor L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
David,

1) A National is allowed to run rusted trains. A National is allowed to reclaim rusted trains from the Locomotive Works at no cost. So the President does not need to chip in money to buy a National a train. Note that Rule 11.6.4 on Forced Train Purchases only applies to a Major.

The important part of Eric's answer is in bold in the quote above.

The only time a president is forced to surrender available cash while converting a Major to a National is when a Major is forced to buy a train and the Major's treasury + the president's cash isn't enough to cover the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
6.4 on Forced Train Purchases only applies to a Major.

2) No, a Major is only obliged to run it's OE run if that is the only way to run for maximum revenue.

Then, what does this mean?

From 12.2, 5th paragraph
Quote:
...However, a RR that is able to make an Orient Express run may always do so, even if the route is NOT part of the "best possible routes" for all trains on the RR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kortatu wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
6.4 on Forced Train Purchases only applies to a Major.

Then, what does this mean?

From 12.2, 5th paragraph
Quote:
...However, a RR that is able to make an Orient Express run may always do so, even if the route is NOT part of the "best possible routes" for all trains on the RR.

That rule allows a player to make an OE run to get the one-time bonus, even if the route that must be taken isn't the highest total revenue route possible for the RR.

Without that rule, another player could prevent you from ever making your OE run if he can prove that there are higher revenue runs elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvaro Gonzalez
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I understand. The player always will have the possibility to do the OE run even other player points a better route.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.