Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi BC/BS Peeps: My sons (9 and 11 yrs old) starting playing BC/BS and Wings Of Glory. We are really having a good time with BC/BS but I need to clarify some of the rules.

Example #1 - A Hurricane has a Level Flight of 5, a Climb Speed of 3, a Dive Speed of 7, and a Brake Factor of 2.

Question #1 - If I am reading the rules correctly that means I must go forward 3 spaces. If I climb it is 3 spaces. If I go level and apply brakes it is 3. Is that correct? I know this is a game but in real life planes can fly straight up or stall.

Question #2 - We have only played the Lone Wolf demo and first scenario. In these there are JU-88 (Level Flight 5) against 1 or 3 Hurricanes. Once the bombers fly past the fighters they have to turn then catch up. They both have Level Flight of 5. Does that mean the Hurricanes have to dive to catch up? If so they are too far below they can't hit them. If they try to climb it takes several turns, even for the fighters, and they move only 3 letting the bombers get away. We even did 6 planes against 8 JU-88 and had to cut down the movement on the JU-88 to make it even remotely fair. The bombers can also take FAR more damage. Seems like the only way for the fighters to have a chance is to roll doubles. What are we missing?

Question #3 - This one is about damage. A Hurricane is tailing a JU-88. It gets to 6 hexes away. This means the Hurricane needs 6 - 4 Size - 1 Tail = 1. Automatic hit. Thus the Hurricane (2F) rolls 3d10. This means 3 damage unless there are doubles/triples rolled. Is that analysis of how automatic hits work correct?

Thanks gang!
John T>

FYI. I like both Wings Of Glory and BC/BS but in my opinion the rules for Wings Of Glory are MUCH better written. I plan to post longer reviews on my blog but I wanted to give my take...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stanoch
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
John,

Some quick answers....

Question 1:
The Hurricane can move level forward 5,4 or 3 hexes depending on how many brake factors are applied. To stall, one would need to apply brake factors in a climb. However, this is not allowed in the game.

Question 3: yes, That is correct.

Question 2 (after some thought): that depends on your tactics. You can spread out the HURRICANES SO THAT THEY ALL DO NOT HAVE TO PLAY CATCH UP.

Also, use the climbing half loop!

I disagree with your opinion about the better written Wings of Glory rules. I have them and have played them extensively. I do not see their superiority in clarity. Remember also that the WoG rules do not have as many levels as BC. The Blue Sky system also predates WoG in that it was first published in 1995 as a purely miniature game. This is the third version of the rules and it has benefitted by over 15 years of gamers feedback.

However, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect you for that.

Best,

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John: Thanks for the nice reply...I was hoping someone would reply. I wanted to let you know what I think about BC/BS after having more time with it. Also remember that my comment was directed at my perception of the clarity of the rules not at the gameplay.

My boys and I have played almost every night since I first posted my questions. I believe we are starting to get the hang of it. I actually like the way the game plays better than Wings Of Glory. As we are just learning I have eased off on some of the maneuver requirements so my 9 and 11 year old can get up to speed. As we get better I am clarifying and adding in the various requirements.

Last night we tried bombing runs and AA fire for the first time. I have some questions about AA fire but I need to get my thoughts together before I post anything. I'm hoping you will answer those questions too.

Overall I prefer BC/BS to Wings Of Glory. I think my boys are coming over to that agreement as well. My eldest is already on the BC/BS bandwagon and wants me to buy the expansion. They love the planes in Wings Of Glory but they like having lots of them to shoot down, We all enjoy the tactical feel of BC/BS because it reminds us of Memoir 44 a bit...we love Memoir 44.

Hoping to get a chance to write long review on my blog in a month or so.

Just realized! You are the writer of the game. [Hides face in shame.] You have a nice game on your hands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Newell
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
John T,

Where are your further thoughts? Would like to see.

This game is WAY better than WOG. But am using WOG with it for the perfect combo of rules AND look and feel.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff: I am really busy at work right now but I'll noodle it more in my head and get back to you. Both games are DEFINITELY fun and GREAT recommendations to anyone looking for intuitive airplane wargames. That is exactly what I wanted when I posted on the Memoir 44 forum for games like this...

Noodling now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.