Ellie K
United States
Crumstown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does it mean?

I have a few questions on the BBG rankings. Both Terra Mystica and Puerto Rico are strategy games and BGG lists Terra Mystica as the better strategy game, it also lists Puerto Rico as the better board game.

I don't understand how one strategy game can be a better board game than a different strategy game that is the better strategy game of the two.

Of course I realize that individual opinions can value one game more than another. My question is what criteria are used to create this seemingly impossible conundrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllieK wrote:
BGG lists Terra Mystica as the better strategy game, it also lists Puerto Rico as the better board game.
Where exactly are you seeing this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth James
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
EllieK wrote:
BGG lists Terra Mystica as the better strategy game, it also lists Puerto Rico as the better board game.
Where exactly are you seeing this?

Probably here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/strategygames/browse/boardgame

and here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick google search found this Re: Please Explain Thematic Rank which discusses the same phenomenon in the thematic category.

Werbaer wrote:
Short explanation: Because of a difference in calculation, the main ranking list favours games with a high number of votes, while the subdomain lists empathizes games with a high raw average.

Long Explanation:
To prevent games with only a handfull of 10 votes being #1 in ranking, all games get a number of average "dummy" votes. That leads to a difference between the average rating (8.42 for Earth Reborn), and the BGG rating which is used to calculate the ranking (7.498 for Earth Reborn). The difference is quite high in this example, since the total number of votes (862) is quite low, compared with other games.

The mentioned number of dummy votes is connected to the total number of votes in the database. It's in the magnitude of 200, but hard to calculate excatly, since there's also a shillbuster algorithm which influences the bgg rating.

For the various subdomains, the total number of votes in the database is lower. Therefore, the calculation uses a lower number of dummy votes when computing the BGG rating for the subdomains. In case of Earth Reborn, the thematic BGG rating is 7.776, or about 0.25 higher than the rating calculated for the main ranking list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ellie K
United States
Crumstown
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bryan. Exactly what I was looking for!

To summarize, the overall quantity of rankings influence a game's ranking to a greater extent in the Boardgame category than in the Strategy category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob stencel

mooresville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people likely tried and ranked the different games. Plus with one being around longer, and being an older game, there wasn't as much in the category to rank it against at the time. And more newer players tend to try a game like Puerto Rico than Terra Mystica as well. So would get more very high and likely more very low ratings as well than a game more likely played by more experienced gamers.

Its tough to put too much stock in the ratings when going across genre's and comparing game that is played often as a gateway against a heavier more serious game. Ratings are best used to compare same weight and types against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
EllieK wrote:
What does it mean?

I have a few questions on the BBG rankings. Both Terra Mystica and Puerto Rico are strategy games and BGG lists Terra Mystica as the better strategy game, it also lists Puerto Rico as the better board game.

I don't understand how one strategy game can be a better board game than a different strategy game that is the better strategy game of the two.

Of course I realize that individual opinions can value one game more than another. My question is what criteria are used to create this seemingly impossible conundrum.

Here's a simple answer. Ratings and rankings are relatively useless. In fact, they're useless because they're relative. Don't put much stock in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstencel wrote:
Different people likely tried and ranked the different games. Plus with one being around longer, and being an older game, there wasn't as much in the category to rank it against at the time. And more newer players tend to try a game like Puerto Rico than Terra Mystica as well.
That wouldn't explain how the same set of ratings would rank one game higher in the overall ratings but lower in the category specific ratings. Read my post... it has to do with the dummy votes the ranking algorithms use and the fact that category ratings use a different number of dummy votes than the overall ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.