Jam Inajar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi..looking for a fantasy adventure character type of game for the adult family to play, I would have to learn it and then get everyone else to join in and explain the rules...the games I have found of interest so far are

Dungeons dragons board game
Dungeons dragons rpg basic set
Legend of drizzt
Pathfinder (not the card variety)

We had runebound but didn't really like it, personally I found the dice/movement mechanic a chore but I do like dice !

Thanks in advance for any replies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
The D&D board games are a good place to start, whether you go with Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, or Legend of Drizzt. For me they're still the closest thing to an ideal dungeon crawler.

For a solo option, Mage Knight Board Game works really well, providing you don't mind that the game is fairly complex. I didn't like Runebound either, but Mage Knight was really popular with me for awhile.

For something lighter, Super Fantasy: Ugly Snouts Assault isn't too bad. I'd probably recommend the D&D games over this one, but this has deeper leveling and loot systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Words:

Mage Knight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the Pathfinder beginner set is awesome, and well worth it for newbies to get into.

Its a well made product, that walks you through everything.

watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1z2lIXnyRc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEXDfwjd5UU

make sure you order the beginnger box mnini's as well.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy8l52?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-H...

info here:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/products/beginnerbox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Zettlemoyer
United States
Fort Washington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Live It, Love it
badge
If This Be Doomsday...
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the people. If you can get them to play pathfinder and use their imagination (though fighting is with minis on maps, there really isn't much better and it will lead you to so much adventure. Also, you'd have to be the DM (or Game master as the kids are calling it nowadays). Not sure if that would matter.

If the people need things more constrained, I'd suggest the D&D board games or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). Also, while not sci-fi, Gears of War: The Board Game
is very good.

Edit: just re-read and saw you also mentioned the D&D Beginner box. D&D has the history, but Pathfinder is the bigger system right now, and so I would go with that. The amount of stuff being put out for it is amazing, and if you can get to any Pathfinder Society events in your area you'll love it.

Plus, D&D Next will land later this summer, so if you have interest in that, might want to wait and just jump in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Two Words:

Mage Knight

The problem is "everyone else" implies a number of people and there's no real way I'm playing it with more than two people, self included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brzuziwski
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
More Monskers
badge
I am blue
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box. It's like basic/light set of pathfinder rules, which seem pretty good for a new group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a common question, but certainly a fair one, and seemingly still quite a hole to be filled in that people are often looking for a fantasy/d&d style boardgame.

as with anything depends on what you are looking for in your game:
1. co-op, gamemaster, vs ?
2. depth, are you looking for a campaign with player progression?
3. is the theme more important than the mechanics ?

The wizards of the coast games, such as ravenloft or drizzt are essentially co-op games where you are playing against the programmed game system with a d&d theme. The theme IMO could be easily swapped for something other than fantasy quite easily.
With that said, it has a wide appeal to a larger audience as there are not a lot of rules, the games play fairly quickly and they can be played solo(to a degree). On the downside, a lot of bggers found the games a little too simple and were hoping for more roleplaying. It's also worth noting that the components are quite nice.

Descent almost always comes up in these threads as well, and for for due reason as many consider it to be the epitome of an RPG in a box. Great components, campaign and stand alone play are available, good depth in rules without being overly complex and the game is being well supported from FFG. on the downside(From your requirements, it does require a Overload/gameMaster)

Someone will likely also say MageKnight. i own it, i can be played solo and probably is likely best a solo game as the game takes forever-ever.
But it's more of a puzzlely deck builder IMO than a roleplaying game in a box, and it's hard for me to recommend it without knowing more about you and your group and based on your post.

PS: i wrote this up before anyone else had replied, i just realized i didnt actually click submit (and this was sitting in an open chrome tab) =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.