Subject: Help with Co-op solo-friendly game~ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all! I'm quite new to board gaming, and am just starting to acquire games for my menial collection. I've been watching playthroughs on YouTube and buying those that suit my taste. I'm trying to get different kinds of games to give myself some variety.

Currently I have:

- Pandemic: the first modern board game I got and just recently got back playing and enjoying it. Challenging and fun.
- Eldritch Horror: love the immerse scene, storytelling feature, and simple rules and setup.
- Escape: the cursed temple: fun, quick, exciting. Love the music as key playing element and that it's only 10min to play. Easy setup and simple rules.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- co-op that can be played well by one person (I play solitaire a lot...)
- storytelling and immersive
- no cumbersome rules (chances are I'll screw up the rules easily lol)
- multiple scenario (like Mansion of Madness or Betrayal... I would love to own those games if it is solo-friendly, but sadly it's not. )

I've looked at Agents SMERSH, because I really like what I saw from rahdo's runthrough. Unfortunately I couldn't find it on Amazon or the couple of local game stores I've visited. I'm hesitant/scared of Arkham Horror because of the convoluted rules, and I'm not too interested on Tales of Arabian Nights because it doesn't seem to have enough game play for me.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edit: Added the multiple scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Get one base set to begin with to see if it's interesting. From there you can just build out. There is so much to explore in the game, so many different ways to play it. It's the only game I play solo, because it's just that addictive.

It has quite a lot of rules, but they all make sense, particularly if you get universal head's player aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both co-op games that can easily be played solitaire. Both are pretty easy to learn and don't take long to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing like putting out fires in Flash Point: Fire Rescue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DAAAN wrote:

Get one base set to begin with to see if it's interesting. From there you can just build out. There is so much to explore in the game, so many different ways to play it. It's the only game I play solo, because it's just that addictive.

It has quite a lot of rules, but they all make sense, particularly if you get universal head's player aid.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out next time I go to our local game cafe. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
JimbobJones wrote:
My favorite soloable games:

Sentinels of the Multiverse
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set

All of them are thematic as heck, and not overly complicated.

I'd also recommend Mage Knight Board Game, but that may be more complicated than you're looking for.

Thanks! You're right about Mage Knight... I think I fell asleep (oh no!) 10-minutes into Rahdo's runthrough for Mage Knight. And it just seems so confusing to me...

Question about Pathfinder... Is it the one where the characters are no longer supported after the base set? Or that's another Pathfinder game?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
vidbot wrote:
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are both co-op games that can easily be played solitaire. Both are pretty easy to learn and don't take long to play.

I've played Forbidden Island with friends before, and I remember thinking that I prefer Pandemic more than that. However, Forbidden Desert is on my to-buy list now that I know more about the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
stev4uth wrote:
There's nothing like putting out fires in Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

I've been looking at that! Another one I'm interested in at least playing at the game cafe is Police Precinct, and I'd like to watch the rules before going to the cafe too. I think for this one I'd try it out first before I buy it though... I don't feel there's a lot of storytelling in there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mb
If you are looking for story, then I would suggest:

Legends of Andor..good fantasy co-op that is solo-able and story-driven. I would recommend this first and foremost as the game to get that meets your criteria. Rules are learned in the first scenario and are not difficult to accept.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game..a favorite for solo play or co-op. You do not need to keep buying the 'cycles' to enjoy the base game set. Rules may need some effort to understand, but they are not daunting.

Defenders of the Realm..this one provides a narrative that plays out while you play, so not a 'story' to follow. It is a fantasy based co-op with similar mechanics to Pandemic, (overflow etc.). It is playable solo, but admittedly I have not tried it solo, but this is a favorite co-op in my home.

The following do not really have any story, but are good to play co-op or solo.

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
or
Thunderstone Advance: Numenera may be a good way to begin Thunderstone advance. It is a fine co-op that plays well solo. Not really any 'story' though. Just proceeding to protect a 'village' from oncoming monsters. A good card game though and good fun with others too. Not hard to learn.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is similar to Thunderstone but with super heroes and villians. Also good solo game, again though, not really and story here.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hieru wrote:
Question about Pathfinder... Is it the one where the characters are no longer supported after the base set? Or that's another Pathfinder game?

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set includes an introductory adventure for you to learn the game but you can continue on the complete Adventure Path from there.
Character development starts with the 1st Adventure deck included in the Base Set and continues on through to the 6th Adventure deck. That's how ALL Pathfinder Adventure Paths are structured for both the Adventure Card game and the RPG -- 6 chapters to each Adventure Path. The story ends at the 6th chapter and you start a new Adventure with new characters so that anyone can start a Pathfinder game from any Adventure Path. There's nothing to say you CAN'T still use your old characters in a new adventure, but the high level characters will sail through the beginning of the Adventure that was balanced for lower leveled characters.

If you're looking for a solo game that persists with ever increasing power creep, I do very much recommend The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It doesn't have the character development or campaign setting in the way Pathfinder does, but if you're in any way familiar with the lore of the Lord of the Rings, the characters, setting, and theme will be instantly recognizable for a very thematic adventure.

It can be a hard game and immersion is best realized the more you can get into the game and cards, but it is an excellent solitaire game. Since you're looking for something with a little more casual play, the pre-game deck construction can be intimidating unless you end up studying the game and cards. I recommend just taking the starter mono-sphere decks (not the Tactics deck though), and just get comfortable with the game and the cards. Wanting to try improving on the monosphere decks with deck construction will come organically as you get more into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch this tutorial of Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island and decide if the rules are too complex for you.

This game is exactly what you are looking for: coop, storytelling, various scenarios - but yes, it is relatively pretty heavy-weight.

Still, once you watched the detailed tutorial above (and maybe some other tutorials, if necessary) you will learn the game very quickly.

The game follows a certain pattern for every turn and the board's design is excellently structured around this round flow: just read the board from upper left to lower right like a page of text, and you are doing just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse is great! Simple rules and fun to go alone or with friends.,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Pike
United States
Red Bluff
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired The Isle of Doctor Necreaux. I think it is a great game. It is small and soloable and has awesome art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
winterplum wrote:
If you are looking for story, then I would suggest:

Legends of Andor..good fantasy co-op that is solo-able and story-driven. I would recommend this first and foremost as the game to get that meets your criteria. Rules are learned in the first scenario and are not difficult to accept.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game..a favorite for solo play or co-op. You do not need to keep buying the 'cycles' to enjoy the base game set. Rules may need some effort to understand, but they are not daunting.

Defenders of the Realm..this one provides a narrative that plays out while you play, so not a 'story' to follow. It is a fantasy based co-op with similar mechanics to Pandemic, (overflow etc.). It is playable solo, but admittedly I have not tried it solo, but this is a favorite co-op in my home.

The following do not really have any story, but are good to play co-op or solo.

Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin
or
Thunderstone Advance: Numenera may be a good way to begin Thunderstone advance. It is a fine co-op that plays well solo. Not really any 'story' though. Just proceeding to protect a 'village' from oncoming monsters. A good card game though and good fun with others too. Not hard to learn.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is similar to Thunderstone but with super heroes and villians. Also good solo game, again though, not really and story here.

Have fun!

Thank you! Legends of Andor definitely looks promising... I know rahdo did a run through so I will check that out as well as other videos! I might get Defenders of the Realm down the road, but I'm trying to get something that's not repeating in mechanics since I already got Pandemic. I'm playing Thunderstone on Yucata though, hehehe. I think I'm getting the game quickly (which is rare! lol) though by no means winning... haha. XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkest Night (First edition) was my favorite solo + co-op game right up until Eldritch Horror arrived. I still play it from time to time. It feels more like a solo experience than Eldritch, even though they are very similar. So if you like EH, you should like DN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder vs LotR

I have 2 friends who own Pathfinder, both of them wish they owned my LotR set instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
thumbsupthumbsup for Legends of Andor.

You should be aware however, that many believe there is not much replay value. I am ambivalent on that issue but I believe you'll get your money's worth whether it is true or not.
Such an awesome game.

I also believe that Forbidden Island is just Pandemic lite so avoid it if you already have Pandemic. Forbidden Desert is a much better choice, IMO, over Forbidden Island. Although neither are as thematic as other suggestions in this thread.

Robinson Crusoe (as already mentioned) may be the most thematic co-op game out there but it's pretty heavy. Watch all 9 episodes of Ricky Royale's solo playthrough
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/22180/robinson-crusoe-adv...

then study Cedric's superb quick start guide:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94275/castaways-quick-...

and you'll have it down.

Good luck in your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
포크
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk - Death Angel

Very good thematic Co-Op and one of the best solitaire games I know of. There is more game, theme and tension in this box than most big box games offer. So this hits the table more often than all my other soloable games combined (and not just because of the quick setup and play time, but because it is that good).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is any more complicated than Eldritch Horror, and it is one of the most immersive/story driven co-op games out there. Plays great with 1 player.

I will also second the Flash Point: Fire Rescue suggestion.

Edit: Robinson has multiple scenarios. Flash Point has multiple maps, though only 2 are in the base game box. Playing different maps gives the feel of playing different scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Phillips
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmb
LotR LCG has already gotten a lot of love, so I would like to throw some support behind a different game that is a ton of fun solo.

hieru wrote:

Here's what I'm looking for:

- co-op that can be played well by one person (I play solitaire a lot...)

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Solo'ing, you control 3-4 heroes, but each hero is usually very discrete - there is not much crossover between decks other than mods like +1 damage, which are easily tracked via tokens. I play 6 or so solitaire games every week.
Quote:

- storytelling and immersive

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Comic book superheroes beating the crap out of maniacal supervillains? Check. The first few "learning" games can seem a little fiddly and less storytelling, but after a couple games where you get a feel for the game, it can have some really rich stories.
Quote:

- no cumbersome rules (chances are I'll screw up the rules easily lol)

Sentinels of the Multiverse - The "rules" are very simple (hero turns can be described as "Start, Play, Power, Draw, End"). The cards have all the rules you need on them.
Quote:

- multiple scenario (like Mansion of Madness or Betrayal... I would love to own those games if it is solo-friendly, but sadly it's not. )

Sentinels of the Multiverse - Including all expansions, SotM has 19 villains if you count the Vengeance 5 as one villain, and each villain plays *very* differently. There are also 14 environments, which each have unique characteristics. The combination of these 2 make up your scenario. Trying to stop Baron Blade from blowing up the moon from his Mars base (while also trying to stop the base from self destructing) is a very different experience than trying to defeat a time-travelling space pirate and her crew on an island overrun with dinosaurs. (Also, if either of these sound far-fetched to you, you should read more comic books). This makes for 266 possible scenarios. (This does not count the promo versions of villains).

If you factor in that each superhero plays vastly differently from all of the others, and that there are 23 heros out (not counting promos again), there are 10,626 possible 3-hero teams or 212,520 different possible 4-hero teams. Combining heroes and villain/environments, that is 2,826,516
different possible 3-hero scenarios or 56,530,320 different possible 4-hero scenarios.

I am really a huge fan of Sentinels of the Multiverse as a solo game. It is a close call for me between SotM and the LotR LCG as my absolute favorite solo game. LotR LCG requires a lot of "down-time" between games rebuilding, tweaking, and tuning your custom deck (much like Magic, except no random/rare cards to deal with), and each expansion means a new round of deck tweaking, or perhaps scrapping your deck and starting over. I spend more time building my deck for LotR LCG than I do actually playing the game. This is not necessarily a "down-side" to LotR. It is immensely satisfying to work for a couple hours perfecting a deck list, and then take it into a game and see the combos you painstakingly designed work to perfection.

Sentinels, by comparison, doesn't offer quite the strategic depth of LotR LCG, but is a fast set-up/quick play game. Each superhero has a defined deck that encompasses all of their powers and abilities. You just grab the decks you need and start playing. Each expansion adds more heroes, villains, and environments, but once a deck is released, it is static. There will never be a "deck-building" component to SotM, which is actually a strength. Fanatic and Legacy vs Baron Blade - just grab those three decks. Set-up is as quick as shuffling, and there is no "between game" down time.

LotR LCG gets a ton of love from the solo crowd, and rightly so. It is a fantastic game, and one of the best solo experiences out there. I believe that Sentinels of the Multiverse is a very different, but also fantastic game and solo experience. For a primarily solo gamer, there is definitely room in a collection for both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sentinels of the Multiverse

another great game is Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
its super fun because of the tension it brings and it can also be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Horror Leader wrote:
Darkest Night (First edition) was my favorite solo + co-op game right up until Eldritch Horror arrived. I still play it from time to time. It feels more like a solo experience than Eldritch, even though they are very similar. So if you like EH, you should like DN.

Thanks Tony! I'm trying to get different style of games to bring my choices up, but I think I've seen Darkest Night runthrough for a bit. I might go back and check it out. But to be honest though... If I were to get another horror adventure genre, I might go for Arkham Horror (O_O!) just because of all the good (and bad) things I've heard about it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty chuffing sad that there's no mention of Freedom: The Underground Railroad yet. SO SO SO immersive and solos great.

Rahdo solo'd it, and was genuinely in tears at the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
DAAAN wrote:
Pathfinder vs LotR

I have 2 friends who own Pathfinder, both of them wish they owned my LotR set instead.

lol! Such powerful testament! Personally, because I've seen the movies (though I really should read the book...) I would prefer LotR over Pathfinder (how can you say no to hotties like Legolas and Aragon?! Ok, sorry, that's a girl thing... lol). But your testament definitely shifted the tide over. Thanks! ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hieru Youko
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
luvmywife wrote:
thumbsupthumbsup for Legends of Andor.

You should be aware however, that many believe there is not much replay value. I am ambivalent on that issue but I believe you'll get your money's worth whether it is true or not.
Such an awesome game.

I also believe that Forbidden Island is just Pandemic lite so avoid it if you already have Pandemic. Forbidden Desert is a much better choice, IMO, over Forbidden Island. Although neither are as thematic as other suggestions in this thread.

Robinson Crusoe (as already mentioned) may be the most thematic co-op game out there but it's pretty heavy. Watch all 9 episodes of Ricky Royale's solo playthrough
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/22180/robinson-crusoe-adv...

then study Cedric's superb quick start guide:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/94275/castaways-quick-...

and you'll have it down.

Good luck in your choice.

I just watched Rahdo's runthrough (the first one, not the extended) for Legends of Andor, and I must say my initial impression of the game that it is EPIC. I will have to make my final judgement on how I'll like it when I have time to finish watching his extended and final thoughts though. But this game is definitely on my radar now. ^^

Forbidden Desert kinda got a short end of the straw for me because I was very new to boardgame several years ago with my friend inviting me to her house for game night, and she had just taught me how to play Pandemic and we played it. Then her friend brought Forbidden Island and we all sat down with excitement and played it... And afterwards we looked at each other and just said, "It's Pandemic light..." and that was that. So I wasn't super excited about Forbidden Desert, tried playing it at game cafe and got confused about the rules (I know, I know, "If you get confused about THAT rules....") and gave up. But after watching a runthrough I felt more confident and definitely want to give that game a try. But you're definitely right that it's not thematic at all.

I got that impression about Robinson Crusoe for it being heavy... And somehow the thought of being on an island is more distressing(?) to me than having a Great Old One devouring the world. LOL Or it could just be the game seemed intimidating to me when I see it at the game cafe. But thanks for the link!!! I will definitely study those before I try it at the game cafe next time!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.