Subject: RSP Hearthstone Tournament #1 - Beginner's Luck Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfalbion had the great idea to organize some sort of Hearthstone play amongst the forum and since it's been, like, literally days and nobody has done that it is clearly up to most impatient among us to make it a reality. I'm open to alterations to the format if people really want them, this is just a little something that came to mind at work earlier today. If you don't know what Hearthstone is the short version is that it's a free digital CCG, google it and download it from the first link. You're welcome, now join us.

Longer synopsis of Hearthstone for the unconvinced:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's essentially another Magic clone except it is really based loosely off of the World of Warcraft CCG, which is itself a Magic clone. So it's a Magic clone. Assuming you're familiar with Magic, there are a few major differences. The first is that there are no lands, you automatically gain one mana crystal at the start of each turn and top out at 10 mana. This is nice because it provides a very reliable clock in terms of when you will be able to play certain cards instead of hoping to draw something that will allow you to keep playing. The second main feature is the class system, there are nine classes and each class provides both a separate pool of cards to select from and a "hero power" that you can activate once each turn for 2 mana (For example, a Paladin can always summon a 1/1 dude for 2 mana and a Warrior can always gain 2 Armor). This adds both a twist to deck-building and to the character of each match since different classes tend to play very differently against certain other classes, even when straying from the "standard" deck styles. The final main change is that only the activate player can make decisions during their turn so there are no instants, reactive effects or that kind of thing. The blocker system is replaced with the ability to choose targets and Taunt minions are available to draw fire away from your face as needed. It's totally free to play, pouring money into it will expand your collection more quickly but not get you anything you couldn't have gotten otherwise.

Right, the idea:

Since it seems like most people would be brand new to the game I thought it would be a nice idea to run a tournament in which only the basic starter decks are used, no customization (aside from picking your class, but that's hardly "customization"). This would eliminate any possible advantages a player with an expanded collection might have, since their larger card pool would allow for more reliable and cohesive decks. It should also be kind of a fun change of pace for those of us that have been playing for a while.

In terms of structure I was thinking that we could just do an "everyone play everyone" kind of thing since it should be easy for people to self-schedule their matches and the game is fast enough that it wouldn't take very long once the process gets moving. Maybe play each opponent twice to help ward off bad luck? Once all of the games are completed we can just look at the total wins for each player and the top four (or more if we have enough interest) could do a more formal p1 v p2 and p3 v p4 as a "best two of three" and then the winners of those would compete in a "best three of five" to determine the overall winner.

No idea on prizes. GG pool? Satisfaction? Nudes?

Summary of rules:
- Only the basic non-customized decks allowed
- Play everyone that signs up twice
- Top X play in semi-finals
- Possibly nudes

Thoughts? Concerns? Who's in?

Edit:

Final rules for the tournament:

- Your deck may only contain basic or common cards (no gem or white gem).

- You must prepare a single deck to use the entire tournament, card lists must be provided before you join in to keep everyone honest.

- Scheduling is freeform, the only guidance is that you need to play every other participant twice. Decide for yourself the best way to accomplish this, either looking out for people in-game periodically or sending geekmails to find a concrete time slot. Report each match after it happens and we'll cross it off the list and record the points.

- Once every match is completed the the top four will enter the semi-finals in two best-of-three pairings. The winners of that will have a best-of-five match to determine the champion of this prestigious event.

- I will start the prize pool with a measly 10 GG for first place and 5 for second. Any tips that this post (including the original posting of these rules) receives will be split between both awards. If you want money go play in Perfalbion's thing, his starting pool is more than my entire account.

- Connectivity and lag can be genuine issues for some players, if for whatever reason the technology fails you in a way that impacts the game you can inform your opponent immediately and try again. This is going to have be on the honor system, so pretend an absolute morality exists which favors being honorable for the purposes of this tournament.

Edit: As per Oriecat's request, the roster (stolen from Ben) and the wins page.

SabreRedleg wrote:
Since Clay is slacking: updated roster with decks.

Monkeyhandz - Monkeyhandz#numberneededplease - ???
djgutierrez77 - theidealdave#1143 - Hunter
Oriecat - oriecat#1661 - Mage
Perfalbion - Perfalbion#1487 - Priest
Rinelk - rinelk#1378 - Priest
Golux13 - golux13#1429 - ???
Xilan - svava#1648 - ???
SabreRedleg - Sabre3#1811 - Warlock
BJlillo - bjlillo#1997 - ???
Neoshmengi - neoshmengi#1281 - Shaman
Jokin V - Gladstone#2780 - Druid
Osirus - Osirus#1785 - Shaman
lfisher - LeepingLeemur#1136 - Paladin
The Message - TheMessage#1296 - Druid
fizzmore - ??? - Warrior
MisterCranky - MisterCranky#1715 - Rogue

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?Bsrc=Share&Bpub=SDX.SkyD...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Competitors:

The Message
Monkeyhandz
Dave
Oriecat
Perfalbion
Kelsey
Dan?
Dana?
Ben?
Paul?
BJ??

? = status unclear, in case you're an ignoramus.

?? = status dependent upon an unlikely sequence of events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I'd like to be involved but will be unavailable for the next 4 days or so. I might catch the next round.

I might also have issues if I can't get it running in Linux -- though it seems some folks have succeeded, MMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this just for the iPad? My laptop version doesn't appear to have anyway to pick who you're playing against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
You add a friend and then choose to play against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I'd like to be involved but will be unavailable for the next 4 days or so. I might catch the next round.

I might also have issues if I can't get it running in Linux -- though it seems some folks have succeeded, MMMV.

Are you kidding? This is an RSPer event, we'll be lucky if this gets going by the end of the month. Can't help you with the Linux issue but I'd be happy to wait for you to get your matches in before evaluating finalists.

monkeyhandz wrote:
Is this just for the iPad? My laptop version doesn't appear to have anyway to pick who you're playing against.

What he said, you have to actually add someone as a friend using that little icon in the bottom left corner. You can then use your friends list to chat with or challenge people.

Speaking of which, I'm TheMessage#1296 over there. I think you need both the name and number to add someone. Everyone who wants to do this feel free to add me so I don't have to bother adding you manually... I mean, so we can be great Hearthstone buddies forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:

Summary of rules:

Madness!

Well, I see your point... but maybe it would be better to just ban Legendaries and Epics, so there can still be some deck construction going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case I'm in. (monkeyhandz)

My vote would be for some degree of customisation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. Don't really care that much about customization but it seems like the game is more fun with it than without. I'm fine either way, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
The Message wrote:

Summary of rules:

Madness!

Well, I see your point... but maybe it would be better to just ban Legendaries and Epics, so there can still be some deck construction going on.

RSP Hearthstone Tournament #1. In time, my friend, in time.

Seriously though, I just played a practice game with a starter deck to remember what it was like and they are really, really weak. I would still use a lot of those cards (and some I definitely do) but not in that combination. They lack focus and so between two evenly matched opponents the one using the basic deck is almost always going to underperform while the one that was able to put even a little bit of polish onto their shoe-blades-or-whatever is going to have more consistently synergistic plays. It isn't even legendary access I'm concerned about since generally the legendaries you bring will have less impact than your common and rare class cards.

At least until people have a chance to play a little more and build up their collections this seems like the simplest solution to keep every match-up interesting. If we can keep the interest going I would definitely love to explore other formats in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, that's a lot of concern.

Poll
Will you definitely join this tournament if customization is involved?
Yes
No, I'm undecided
No, I definitely would not want to participate
      13 answers
Poll created by The Message

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the basic deck limitation has the opportunity for more fun and light-hearted interaction versus competitive douchebaggery. You could be a good enough player and get completely hosed with a basic deck if you get a crappy draw. Synergy is pretty terrible. I think of basic hearthstone to be like Relic: you have "choices" but really, it's just the story of how much you got hosed by your crapass draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in. But I need a little clarification on "basic" versus "customized" deck. If the game has added cards to my Hunter deck because I've advanced my Hunter level, is that still a "basic" deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for the sake of the poll - I'm more likely to join at this point if there's no customization. I couldn't get upset when playing a basic druid set at one point and having absolutely no minions to play all my support cards on. I mean, lol. I had to just keep passing and using my hero power as I slowly watched my health go down. It's the kind of dipshit game I'd giggle over playing while enjoying a drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
Also, for the sake of the poll - I'm more likely to join at this point if there's no customization. I couldn't get upset when playing a basic druid set at one point and having absolutely no minions to play all my support cards on. I mean, lol. I had to just keep passing and using my hero power as I slowly watched my health go down. It's the kind of dipshit game I'd giggle over playing while enjoying a drink.

That's pretty much how every game I've tried with the Druids has gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
I'm in. But I need a little clarification on "basic" versus "customized" deck. If the game has added cards to my Hunter deck because I've advanced my Hunter level, is that still a "basic" deck?

"Basic" refers to the deck you get when you first unlock the class. You can get to them by selecting the "basic" tab when choosing a deck if you've moved on to the rest of the game by now. "Customized" refers to literally anything else. You build a deck from your pool of cards and use that, hopefully after giving it a lame name of some sort.

At this point I'm fine with going either way. The thought was to encourage new players to participate since they wouldn't be at a disadvantage but most of who I think are the newer players all seem to want to play the full game so that kind of invalidates the purpose for the rule. Whichever format will be the most fun for the most people, I just want to play some Hearthstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm mostly a lurker in these parts but would be interested in joining if possible. I like the idea of just using the basic decks personally, but that's because I suck at making decks.

I am oriecat#1661
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

"Basic" refers to the deck you get when you first unlock the class. You can get to them by selecting the "basic" tab when choosing a deck if you've moved on to the rest of the game by now. "Customized" refers to literally anything else. You build a deck from your pool of cards and use that, hopefully after giving it a lame name of some sort.

So this is my question. When you "first unlock a class," you have 10 out of 20 possible Basic Cards for that class, and the rest are unlocked as you advance the class levels. The remainder of your deck is filled (presumably randomly?) from the Neutral cards.

So if I have one class for which I have unlocked 18 of the 20 Basic Cards, and I choose that class, is it a "basic" deck or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:

Basic cards come from winning games up to level 10. They have no Gem in the centre of them. Expert cards have a gem and come from buying packs of cards (with gold or cash). Common (white), rare (Blue), epic (Purple) or legendary (Gold).

Basic card.

Common Expert card. See the white gem in the centre?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the basic decks are sooooooo boring.

You might think about a low cap on maximum dust value instead. 500-1500 for the whole deck. Set the deck you're going to run in a post about the ladder and go from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
The Message wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

So this is my question. When you "first unlock a class," you have 10 out of 20 possible Basic Cards for that class, and the rest are unlocked as you advance the class levels. The remainder of your deck is filled (presumably randomly?) from the Neutral cards.

So if I have one class for which I have unlocked 18 of the 20 Basic Cards, and I choose that class, is it a "basic" deck or not?

It's still basic. They don't put the new cards in for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
In.

EDIT: rinelk#1378
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely play with customization in, very likely without.

Perfalbion#1487
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The button to open up the friends list doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll try later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
The Message wrote:
Golux13 wrote:

I think we're talking about two different things. The basic cards you're referring to are the standard cards you unlock with a class to use when making a custom deck, they're unrelated to the "basic deck."

This is what your selection screen likely looks like when you go to play now:

Note the highlighted arrow at the bottom. If you hit that it takes you to the basic decks, which looks like this:

Those decks will always be the same for every player no matter what has happened since they started playing, hence the reason for considering them for a newbie-friendly tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.