David
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all - I am a little confused about what edition of Fantastiqa to purchase and what expansions would be optimal. I recently heard about this game (I know ... late to the party) and it looks like something my family would enjoy.

Should I wait for the Rucksack edition to be released? Pick up an older copy of the Enhanced (I guess first?) edition? What about expansions?

Any help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i own the enchanted and love it. If you can find the enchanted version for a good price, i think it's worth it. If you're short for space and want a more travel friendly version, the rucksack maybe the way to go.

Regarding the expansions, I'm not sure, I'm equally confused. Would be nice if they'd bundle them all together in one set sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer provided a summary of the expansions, somewhere, I think it might be available here on boardgamegeek. Perhaps a link somewhere in the forums?

The designer visits these forums occasionally, I suspect before long he'll chime in with the best information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did somebody play the "Tea Kettle of Designer Summoning?" Must have, 'cause here I am.

Where's the tea?

Good question about "which one...", David.

If your pockets overflow with Gems or other bright units of currency, then the Enchanted Edition is my best suggestion. It's everything that an Enchanted, Deluxe Edition of a game might imply. Last I heard, quests to claim its uber-thick and classy box have started border wars in fantasy kingdoms ranging from Prydain to Azeroth. Royal assassinations and troll-tower sieges have been plotted, performed, and thwarted, wielding no more than the box lid alone.

That said, the Rucksack Edition doesn't skimp on gameplay; it's just lighter on the component-goodness. Both get the Peaceful Dragon's Darkest Earl Grey-Shade of Approval. But when he wants a really rich, thick Espresso, he goes full-on Enchanted.

Here's a list of my favorite expansions with reasons why:
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14740974#14740974

And seriously, Espresso Dragons and the Wild Goose Chase are simply "must haves" for the designer's table.

And a helpful Expansion Combination Guide:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1126063/new-fantastiqa-e...

I hope this is helpful. If you want more suggestions, just holler.... I'm very excited for the new expansions and Rucksack Edition to come out shortly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great recommendations! I'm off (well, figuratively) to hunt down an Enchanted Edition if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
"Enchanted Edition, thou shalt be mine!!"

(Since my husband was willing to let me cheat and use all of next month's game allowance plus a little. He's sweet.)

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
It's here . . . and it's AWESOME!

Great Game, Alf!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ldavi27 wrote:
It's here . . . and it's AWESOME!

Great Game, Alf!

laugh

Thanks, Laura! May the Peaceful Dragon bestow your opponents with much tasty tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anywhere else to get the expansions beside the eagle games website. Their prices are astronomically high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.