Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have finished filming a new video - it's about Yuggoth, and some of the strategies and rules unique to that map. It'll take a little while to download to the internetz, so I'm not sure if it will make it today or tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse you! I'm at the Book of Eibon level with added on Azathoth. The Yuggoth map is the one that interests me more than any other. Maybe I'll have to add it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, look at the video when it's up and see if it convinces you. I think a lot of people have not yet realize just how much the maps change the game's strategies and flow.

I talk about how Yuggoth affects Cthulhu, Sleeper, and Yellow Sign, but every faction has a new experience.

Opener, for instance, uses Beyond-One a LOT more than on the Earth map, and to far greater effect. You see, Yuggoth has certain Areas where Gates get special clout. Opener can use Beyond-One to move enemy Gates out of such Areas, or to move his own Gate more quickly into such Areas. On the other hand, he is also affected by the fact that he receives less value from the Brain Cylinders (because they don't promote into Monsters). His fat expensive monsters are also prime targets for the Watcher. So Opener has a whole new set of considerations.

And this is true for every faction, as previously stated. It even applies to the Azathoth neutral stuff, and the independent GOOs. Chaugnar Faugn is more useful than before, because his gate defense boost is better for these new strategic Gates, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it. I had talked to Arthur about you guys visiting the Provo area here in a few weeks. Will you be joining? Do you know when they'll/you'll be coming? I'd love to meet you, and can't wait to see the game in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's avaialble I'll pick it up in Lucca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video just showed up in my subscription box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
That sounds awesome. Can't wait to see it. I had talked to Arthur about you guys visiting the Provo area here in a few weeks. Will you be joining? Do you know when they'll/you'll be coming? I'd love to meet you, and can't wait to see the game in action.

You are in Provo, reddish? We will DEFINITELY have to get together and play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

You are in Provo, reddish? We will DEFINITELY have to get together and play the game.

I DEFINITELY look forward to it :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the video is now up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9nyQZ-_ow

Enjoy guys!

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

I live just a hop, skip, and a jump away from there. If there's plans a-brewing for a get together, please count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
something I hadn't noticed before because I have only played a handful of games on Yuggoth:

If you play in a game with at least 4 players, and it comprises Cthulhu, Sleeper, Windwalker, and Crawling Chaos, then Cthulhu will BEGIN the game with a spellbook. That's a pretty big boost. But, hey, I suppose he's closer to the stars out there on Pluto, so it makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
something I hadn't noticed before because I have only played a handful of games on Yuggoth:

If you play in a game with at least 4 players, and it comprises Cthulhu, Sleeper, Windwalker, and Crawling Chaos, then Cthulhu will BEGIN the game with a spellbook. That's a pretty big boost. But, hey, I suppose he's closer to the stars out there on Pluto, so it makes sense.

That is pretty crazy. Good observation, there. It wasn't as obvious in the video that those areas were starting zones for many factions, but after watching it a second time, you're absolutely right. That's nuts!

I thought that the maps were cool and quirky, with a few little differences to keep it interesting. But things like this just really make me go... surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, Opener isn't allowed to start in those specific spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Grat video!

Can't wait for more of these (and play sessions as well )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Axman George
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegrinder wrote:
Can't wait for more of these (and play sessions as well )

Me and 4387 other Cthulhu Wars backers are with you on this. Come on, Cult of Grant, give us videos to tide us over.

... pretty please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Decker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stoltzy92 wrote:
One thing that I noticed when watching the video was that, since Opener of the Way can start wherever they please, is it possible that Opener can start at say, the Slime Sea Overlook or in the Laboratory or are there special rules that prevents the faction from doing so?

I believe the Opener can start on any unused faction stating point, so he can only start in areas of the maps which contain a faction symbol. Sorry, no sneaky slime-mold start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opener can start anywhere he want, no faction starting point required. The only exception is if an expansion map specifically forbids him from starting in certain areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opener can start in any location, except the Green Pyramid, Laboratory, and Slime Sea Overlook (which are only on the Yuggoth map).

Another "restriction" is that on the Primeval map, Opener doesn't have to start in a Glacier area, but he STILL gets a glacier on his starting Gate, no matter where it is. In our games this usually leads to recriminations even before the action round starts, because Opener has villainously "used up" one of the precious un-Glaciered sectors. It's generally a nice strategic one, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.