Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just rediscovered thunderstone via "Epic Variant", super excited to see this coming out. What does everyone expect?
More familiars?
A single level 4 card for all advance heroes released so far?
Coloured XP used like Numenara?
Weapons that require two heroes to use?
Weather effects that change light penalties for the wilderness board?
Unicorn steaks?
Settings cards?
Ascension compatability kit?
Enough basic cards for 32 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One word reply: Fireball.
Because Tom Vasel wants it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hoffman
United Kingdom
London
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is going to be a direct "small box" (same size as CoB and RoC, but with more cards) expansion for World's Collide, and follow the trend of being old cards updated to the Advance edition. I missed out on pre-Advance Thunderstone so I'm perfectly happy with this!
I'm expecting more cards from the original base set - these were all updated for the free P&P they did a few years ago. I think Abyssals are a definite given the title of this set. I'd love to see Humanoids return - they always look so thematic in a dungeon .

I think the goal of this arc is to simply update old favourite cards to the new. There is nothing about this arc on the website - Worlds Collide is already out and it's not mentioned at all on the AEG page. This leads to me believe that they aren't doing anything new or pushing the boundaries of the rules. So I'm not expecting any familiars, coloured XP, more basic cards, or any changes to the way to the game is played (weather, settings, etc).
I am expecting level 4 heroes for those from Worlds Collide. I'm not sure if they'll do ones for the Tala story arc too, but they might as it's only about 25 cards.

I'm super excited too, and I'm loving Epic Thunderstone Advance!
(Don't think I've played the normal version once...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am nervous about going Epic myself. Can any of you tell me why it is a good idea? I know it allows for a lot of variation, but doesn't preclude strategy in the exchange as you can't really plan for the cards and for heroes?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I am nervous about going Epic myself. Can any of you tell me why it is a good idea? I know it allows for a lot of variation, but doesn't preclude strategy in the exchange as you can't really plan for the cards and for heroes?

-Ski

Ah man, you have to give it a whirl. The game is slightly less strategic though is made up a hundred fold by the added theme and more importantly..... Fun. It is really, really fun and some of the combos and interactions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are just amazing. Reaally feels like you are recruiting a rag tag bunch of adventurers from a more "living" village rather than just 4 idenitcal Whetmages all with the same spells. There are many different ways to setup the dungeon deck and because all the cards are fairly balanced at this point in the game's life, the more the merrier.

It turns a decent enough deck building game into a fantastic game overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hoffman
United Kingdom
London
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with everything Brave Geek said - added theme and gallons of fun! You don't end up with 3 people running the same decks - with so few cards present in standard, everybody sees the same combos. With Epic you play and get:
1) One player has a wizard deck, with buffed Spell Swords and Force Mages pulling spells galore...
2) ... another with dwarfs and paladins heaving around heavy mauls and axes to cleave dragons in twain...
3) ...another player with bards singing their party of regulars to spectacular feats of monster destruction (till they run into magically immune critters!)...
4) ...someone else who just randomly bought any crap in the village and doesn't get any points... but yay for him too!

That's a real example from a few of the games I've played. I enjoy having all the cards present and making up different strategies all the time. I'm not missing the tiny loss in "strategy" - I'm not really playing Thunderstone for that anyway. Add that it makes it so much quicker to setup and put away, I'll never play normal style again.

Going back to the original question, seems I was wrong. The description does say: This set showcases a blend of 381 cards from the first six Thunderstone releases, together with some new heroes, spells, items, villagers, and monsters. It also incorporates alternate uses for experience tokens and fourth level heroes for this set and the companion set, Worlds Collide.

So yes to some new cards, 4th level heroes for just this and Worlds Collide, but we do get some new rules for using experience. I'm not surprised by the last part. The Tala set really made curses a currency - this is what made Root of Corruption such a fun expansion to play with. Numenera showed they were ready to look at XP, and they finally are with this set. Perhaps heroes, monsters, and village cards that let you spend XP to do certain abilities?

And the BGG page has been updated with the cover art - that's a spooky Doomguard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I also suppose that speeding the game set-up is also a plus. You guys are getting me close to doing some reorganizing. All of my cards are sleeved with BCW deck guards, so I have some seriously thick stacks of cards to shuffle. Perhaps going with 5 cards of each might be in order.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm nervous to go epic as well. I just spent last night setting up the decks. There is no way on earth I am going to separate these cards again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Teamski wrote:

-Ski

Nice thing with Worlds Collide being a new base box, is I have my Towers of Ruin with it's two expansions (and the starter set) in one nice full box for regular Thunderstone.

Since we're now getting expansions for Worlds Collide (doubt this will be the last) I'm tempted to set up this run of sets for Epic. Best of both worlds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hope they include the level 4 heroes for all heroes released under Advance. I read it as only for the heroes of the Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jr4417 wrote:
I'm nervous to go epic as well. I just spent last night setting up the decks. There is no way on earth I am going to separate these cards again.

Epic is the only way I play and it feels so much better.

Some of the pre-generated configurations are not so bad, but using the randomizers results in some very strong combos that can be monopolized turning the game from a strategic deck builder to a lucky puzzle.

For example, if your setup has that dwarf who is really good with spears and then a spear makes it into the game, EVERYONE should go for that combo. There is no reason to build up magic attackers or spells.

The randomness from the Epic variant really just means more diversity and player self expression. You can modify it even more by limited just how many of each type of card you want to put in the game. That's the beauty of deck builders- highly modable and transparent game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Horror Leader wrote:
I do hope they include the level 4 heroes for all heroes released under Advance. I read it as only for the heroes of the Thunderstone Advance: Worlds Collide set.

I hope you won't be too disappointed, but Into the Abyss will contain level 4 cards only for the heroes in that set and in Worlds Collide, not for all of Thunderstone: Advance. The set is so packed with other cards (more than in any other non-stand-alone expansion), there just wasn't going to be enough room to consider L4s for the other sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darquil wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:

I hope you won't be too disappointed, but Into the Abyss will contain level 4 cards only for the heroes in that set and in Worlds Collide, not for all of Thunderstone: Advance. The set is so packed with other cards (more than in any other non-stand-alone expansion), there just wasn't going to be enough room to consider L4s for the other sets.

Will L4s be an optional thing? Will they be overpowered if used alongside heroes that can't go to L4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, Worlds Collide and Into the Abyss feature cards from the original Thunderstone game. I own all of non-Advance Thunderstone including the promos. Would these two sets basically replace all the cards from my non-Advance Thunderstone with newer rules or are there a few original Thunderstone cards still kicking around in other sets?

Worlds Collide + Into the Abyss seems like a good starting point for Advance since it's all the same cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
DoomTurtle wrote:
Will L4s be an optional thing? Will they be overpowered if used alongside heroes that can't go to L4?

Definitely optional in the sense that nothing in the game is diminished if you don't include them in the setup.

Also optional in the sense that a single player avoiding them while other players make them a priority does not in itself put that avoiding player at a severe disadvantage.

I haven't tried mixing heroes who could/couldn't achieve L4. I would suspect the mixture would put a higher premium on the stacks that offer an L4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Autoduelist wrote:
Would these two sets basically replace all the cards from my non-Advance Thunderstone with newer rules or are there a few original Thunderstone cards still kicking around in other sets?

Not all the cards. Worlds Collide reprints 11 heroes (list here), and given past expansions, we can expect Into the Abyss to reprint 7 or so. So that's roughly 18 heroes reprinted, out of 52 total (including the promos). Tom Vasel may have already thrown out all his old cards (see review), but I'm not yet ready to part with those other heroes (I keep them separate, in Epic mode).

Autoduelist wrote:
Worlds Collide + Into the Abyss seems like a good starting point for Advance since it's all the same cards.

I agree. If I could only have one box, I'd still go with Numenera, but if I could have two boxes, I'd take Worlds Collide and Into the Abyss. As Nathan Stiles said, the heroes in Worlds Collide offer some really interesting choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:

Actually, because it's a great card. When we were choosing what cards would make the cut for Worlds Collide and Into the Abyss, we did our best to pick cards that were powerful, dynamic, exciting...but not broken. Fireball is made of win, but a hefty gold cost and no gold production restricts abuse.

I'm super excited for Into the Abyss to come out, I think you guys are going to love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
amigo de fuego wrote:
th3tick wrote:

Actually, because it's a great card. When we were choosing what cards would make the cut for Worlds Collide and Into the Abyss, we did our best to pick cards that were powerful, dynamic, exciting...but not broken. Fireball is made of win, but a hefty gold cost and no gold production restricts abuse.

I'm super excited for Into the Abyss to come out, I think you guys are going to love it.

Trust me, any expansion to the game system is manna from heaven!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert barnes
United States
Islip Terrace
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mixed feelings on Level 4 heroes and how they will effect the epic variant.

I'd hate to outright ignore the level 4s but the way I have my epic set up right now is with only 2 of each level 1 so that every hero has the potential to hit max level (I really, really hope they don't go with 1 copy of each level 4). Perhaps shrinking down the level 4 potential heroes to 1 each would make them slightly more rare? Setting up 3 stacks of level 3 potential and 1 stack of level 4 potential (though then the worry would be buying only from that stack)

I suppose it is a bit early for me to be worrying but I only recently moved to the epic variant and have been enjoying both the play and the tinkering of the card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Brave New Geek
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are unlikely to get two heroes to level four chap, let alone two that are the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
These are cards, I'd like to see, not necessarily what I think will be in the set.

Heroes
Outlands
Chalice
Phalanx
Veteran
Red Blade
Terakian
Nyth

Weapons
Greed Blade
Cursed Mace
Illusory Blade
Toryn Gauntlet
Frost Giant Axe

Spells
Fireball
Frost Bolt
Spirit Blast
Burnt Offering
Silverstorm

Items
Unicorn Steaks ...what?
Lightstone Gem
Bag of Holding
Soul Gem
Lantern

Villgers
Barkeep
Pious Chaplain
Doomgate Squire

Monsters
Abyssal
Cultist
Evil Druid
Lich
Bandit
Dark Enchanted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
dieseledge wrote:
These are cards, I'd like to see, not necessarily what I think will be in the set.

That's a good list of cards. And you're going to get at least one of your wishes from each category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe babbitt
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know how (or if) to address that. Elegantly done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some we're going to get that he didn't list.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.