Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been reading the forum and unofficial FAQ on this and would like to confirm that I understand this sequence correctly. Please verify/correct the following. Thanks for your help.

1. Player claims a route that contains a bonus marker

2. Player places the bonus marker adjacent to his player board and may use it at any future point in the game after the current action (used markers are turned face down but remain adjacent to a player's board for end game scoring)

3. Player takes one bonus marker from the supply and puts it face down on his player board without looking at it

4. Player completes his current turn

5. Player takes the face down bonus marker, looks at it, and places it on the board along any route matching all of the following conditions

(A) the route must not have any player pieces already in place
(B) there must not be a bonus marker already on the route
(C) there must be at least one vacant office space in one of the cities adjacent to the route

6. If the player is unable to place the bonus marker at the end of his turn due to no route matching the three required conditions, he waits until the end of his next turn and tries again to place it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point 2 should be "Player claims bonus marker" - you do not have to use it immediately, and it can be very powerful to stockpile them.

Also to clarify, a player places the office or takes the upgrade (as part of clearing a route) as part of point 1 - you can't use the newly gained bonus marker to help out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
Point 2 should be "Player claims bonus marker" - you do not have to use it immediately, and it can be very powerful to stockpile them.

Also to clarify, a player places the office or takes the upgrade (as part of clearing a route) as part of point 1 - you can't use the newly gained bonus marker to help out there.

Fixed above

Are you saying that you can either claim the office OR take the bonus marker, but not both? Or are you just saying the bonus marker can not alter the placement of your office on the route? I know the bonus cannot be used as part of the action in which it is claimed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For Point 5, the marker is turned face up before being placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
For Point 5, the marker is turned face up before being placed.
thanks! Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, markers are placed face up.

However, my group plays a variant in which the markers are placed down. We rather like this. It changes the risk for pursuing the bonus markers strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:
Yes, markers are placed face up.

However, my group plays a variant in which the markers are placed down. We rather like this. It changes the risk for pursuing the bonus markers strategy.
interesting. Do you keep them faced own after players claim them so that no one knows which have been claimed, only revealing them when a player uses them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. This is how our variant works.

Bonus markers are placed face down to start the game.

When a marker is claimed, the player gets to look at it and keep it face down in front of them. When they play it they must, of course, reveal what it is and keep it face up so everyone can see what markers have been played. So each player may have some marker face up (played) and some face down (claimed but not played).

When you replace a marker you simply drawn one from the face down selection, and place it face down on the board on the rules.

All other rules for replacing markers, claiming them, and playing them are as in the rulebook.

(note, I have an idea for another variant in which they all tokens are face up at all times, even the ones in the replacement pool. But I have not worked through the idea, or even playtested this. Yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Are you saying that you can either claim the office OR take the bonus marker, but not both? Or are you just saying the bonus marker can not alter the placement of your office on the route? I know the bonus cannot be used as part of the action in which it is claimed.

The latter, but you already know this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

The latter, but you already know this

Okay good. You almost had me confused! I updated the sequence to make this more clear.

I think at this point the sequence is complete and clear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.