United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I know that if you have an asset that grants +1 to Str in combat, and an asset that grants +2 to Str in combat don't stack, but in our game last night I had one asset that granted +1 Will AND +2 Str, while another asset I had granted +3 Str.

The question is, do I get the +3 Str AND the +1 Will (because they are different skills)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gmbalbee wrote:

The question is, do I get the +3 Str AND the +1 Will (because they are different skills)?

I'm pretty sure you still only apply one of the Strength bonuses in your case, but can add the Will bonus with either of the Strength you chose (+1 Strength +2 Will, OR +2 Strength +2 Will).

Basically, you just pick and choose specific skill bonuses from each asset until you have selected one for each relevant skill. If one weapon gives you +5 ST and +1 Wil, and another gives you +2 ST +3 Wil you will simply take the two highest choices from each (+5 St +3 Wil).

Note that this is only relevant for WEAPON Assets. If you had Hired Muscle (+1 St) for example, you also add their bonus since they aren't a Weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadArkive wrote:

Note that this is only relevant for WEAPON Assets. If you had Hired Muscle (+1 St) for example, you also add their bonus since they aren't a Weapon.

That is not correct. You can use one skill bonus regardless of its source.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
DreadArkive wrote:

That is not correct. You can use one skill bonus regardless of it's source.

Well, that's disappointing. Makes allies much less useful due to the threat of betrayal. Also, this means you will pretty much never get more than 9 additional dice at your most potent for a single skill check. Sure wish we could at least go back to having hands for weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the allies still increase your skills for the purpose of non-combat tests, so they are still useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
and they often allow rerolls as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
But the allies still increase your skills for the purpose of non-combat tests, so they are still useful.

True. Thats the main reason why there is a distinction between general bonus and combat-only bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where does it say the general bonus' are cumulative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Where does it say the general bonus' are cumulative?

they are not. who says that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Albertsen
United States
Onalaska
WI
flag msg tools
badge
Always stomped, never the stomper...
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Yes.

Thank you for your succinct answer! We played it correctly then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
Vladimir17 wrote:

True. Thats the main reason why there is a distinction between general bonus and combat-only bonuses.

Did I read this wrong then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Anduin wrote:
Vladimir17 wrote:

Did I read this wrong then?

What I said was the following:
There is a distinction between general bonuses (+1 Strength) and combat-only bonuses (+3 Strength during Combat Encounters)
Vladimir said that allies like hired muscle still increase your stats even though you are not in combat, and this is true. This is an advantage of general bonuses. They increase your stats in non-combat AND in combat situations, while the combat only bonuses (though usually higher) increase them only in combat encounters and are useless in all other situations. Thats why there is a distinction. However: You only use the highest bonus but what I and Vladimir wanted to say is that it is still useful to have both with you.
Hope that clears things up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.