16 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: what's I put on my B-day wish list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
doug keepout
msg tools
my parents asked me to make a B-day wish list so here's what I put down

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3633/sid-meiers-civil...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21050/combat-commande...

I'm a beginner so any thought's on what my picks are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander would not be my first choice as a beginner. If you're a raw recruit, I'd suggest Memoir '44. It's easy to learn and fun to play. I've introduced several folks to wargaming through M44. I can't comment on Civilization because I haven't played it. Happy birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Combat Commander is actually one I use more often than others to bring new war gamers to the table and KEEP them there.

Is it the best or easiest to learn.....NO....but it works and works very well for many reasons some of which I cover below...

1. Easy to learn. This is not so much to an easy system per say, but a huge following and very large support group. You can find opponents easy both online and across the table. A very well written rule set and errata helps. Someone is always willing to help here on BGG.

2. Works well as a solo game...though some may argue with this. I have logged over 250 solo C.C. games. In fact, I an setting this up for solo play as we speak...

3. Has (in my opinion) the best RSG (Random Scenerio Generator) which makes it replayable infinitely.

4 has a huge amount of official published scenerios to keep your interest if you don't like the RSG, or don't want to mess with it at first.

5. The game is supported by the designers and manufacture which insures this will continue with new content and great support for the foreseeable future.

6. Fun, fun, fun....simply put .... a very fun and challenging game.

7. Published by GMT...so customer service and quality is top notch (for the most part...not perfect mind you).

8. Reasonably priced base games and expansions/scenerios, etc makes it easy to "get into".

9 Has enough depth of play with decisions and randomness (in a good way in my opinion) that it keeps players attention and thus makes it to the table more often.

10. Easy to setup and get a game underway.

11. Plays reasonably fast for the depth it offers.

12. Did I mention it is fun........lol

Again, just my opinion. I do not mean to undermine anyone's opinion only give my own.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I like Combat Commander for new players if an experienced player is around to teach. I think new players pick it up very quickly in this fashion. More so than many more traditional games that have abstractions that are more difficult for newcomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Tott wrote:

1. Easy to learn. This is not so much to an easy system per say, but a huge following and very large support group. You can find opponents easy both online and across the table. A very well written rule set and errata helps. Someone is always willing to help here on BGG.

Maybe. But, if you're like me and want to struggle with things yourself,
you may find this one of the very worst choices that gets suggested
as an intro game. It's very easy, if you have someone helping you through.
Trying to face that 'very well written rule set' more or less had this
long term wargamer put it aside, even though I've played and enjoyed it before.

No clue about the Sid Meirs Civ - you'll get more input about that from
ameritrash gamers. It looks interesting enough, but the big box has
always kept me from pulling the trigger on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug keepout
msg tools
I like combat commander because the maps and units look really cool and have played it befor at my friends house (it was a blast!. I also wanted civilization so I could make my own kingdom and army.

I'm actualy looking on youtube about combat commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you want to get into Combat Commander, start by checking out this video.
[url]
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/29129/combat-commander-eu...[/url]

This will get the basics of the game and how things work. It is a long video, I believe it is over an hour long.

Once you watch this, download the rules and read through them not worrying about grasping all the details. It will seem overwhelming for most at first but this is due in part by the very diverse rules which gives the game it's depth.

From here I suggest finding someone seasoned in C.C. online to play your first few games with. If this is not an option or you do not enjoy online play, setup a scenario and push some pieces around trying your best to grasp the mechanics. You will make mistakes and you will find yourself referring to the rule book several times for clarification.

I learned this game from scratch as my second REAL war game. It took me about a week to go from completely new and lost to grasping the game well enough to not only play it but teach it to new people. My wife grasped this game with me teaching her in about 1/2 that time....so again, I agree having someone seasoned will help and may make the difference in your own experience/opinion of the game.

From here I would reread the rules. This time pay attention to the specifics of gameplay. Using your previous experience pushing pieces or playing online this will go much faster and make much mower sense.

From there it is a mater of playing and playing and playing to get the most out of the game.

Again, this is not an easy game for a beginner BECAUSE the rules are one page or easy to understand immediately. It is however easy to teach/learn because of the support it fosters In Our community.

Regardless HOW you learn this system (should you decide to go with it) you will be rewarded with a great game that will more than likely find a spot on your shelf and find its way to your table often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest something like A House Divided
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tott wrote:

2. Works well as a solo game...though some may argue with this. I have logged over 250 solo C.C. games. In fact, I an setting this up for solo play as we speak...

I would argue with that. You can play it solo in the Calandale sense of being able to play almost anything solo, but it is not particulary suited to solo play. If a person is used to playing games solo, then yes, it is no problem to play that way. But I wouldn't suggest it to a person who is looking to start playing wargames solo. Games without any hidden information are a much better way to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Khan
msg tools
I'm extremely new to this wargaming thing. Combat Commander was actually extremely easy for me to crack, I'm not sure why but everything just clicked. I actually struggled more with Conflict of Heroes which has less moving parts for lack of a better term than CC.

Panzer Grenadier on the other hand...yeah I've funneled 15 hours into playing/learning and I still struggle with assault combat. I completely understand that at 200m a hex, a force of roughly company strength isn't just going to disintegrate in a single 15 minute turn, but damn. I guess the difference is that CC and CoH are playability first systems, where PG puts clearly puts simulation before playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
Tott wrote:

I would argue with that. You can play it solo in the Calandale sense of being able to play almost anything solo, but it is not particulary suited to solo play. If a person is used to playing games solo, then yes, it is no problem to play that way. But I wouldn't suggest it to a person who is looking to start playing wargames solo. Games without any hidden information are a much better way to do that.

Out of the 25+ gamers I have introduced C.C. to, 12 picked up there own copies of the game. Why would they do this if they could just come to my house or ask to borrow my copy.......well simply put, they enjoyed the solo experience the game offered enough to make the investment.

With that said, I do agree there are perhaps better games at solo playability. However, few of those also offer the depth and expanse that C.C. does for both solo and direct opponents play. Taking everything else C.C. Offers and one begins to see why it has been and continues to have great support and following.

Also, The OP here did not seem to mention they were only looking for solo play. I only mention that the solo playability of C.C. Along with direct apponent play make this game very desirable to new wargamers.

I would go as far as say that a very large portion of C.C. players, fan boys/girls, grogs, etc. log or have logged many solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Khan
msg tools
You might want to look into Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear, or Storms of Steel (note: Storms of Steel is OOP, but there is an excellent digital edition available through Matrix games for around $30-40)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug keepout
msg tools
what about panzer series by GMT is that a good game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My slide into wargames went

Memoir '44 -> C&C Ancients -> Conflict Of Heroes

and I stopped there. I enjoy all of them but CoH is about as far as I'm willing to go in complexity. I learned them all without the aid of an experienced player. Memoir was a no-brainer, C&C took a few plays, CoH was tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deacon
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Love thy fate.
mbmbmbmbmb
tankruler1945 wrote:
I like combat commander because the maps and units look really cool and have played it befor at my friends house (it was a blast!. I also wanted civilization so I could make my own kingdom and army. I'm actualy looking on youtube about combat commander.

Ah-ha! So you're not a raw recruit. Since you've already taken CC for a test drive and like it, you should definitely get your own copy. It's a fantastic game (I rate it 9.5/10). You should also consider a copy of M44 for lighter, fast-playing wargaming sessions. I play it quite often with my sons and raw recruits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
tankruler1945 wrote:
what about panzer series by GMT is that a good game?

Panzer (second edition) is fairly high on the complexity scale although once you "get" it it is pretty straightforward.
You can download the rules for most of GMT's games from their web site:
www.gmtgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.