Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it out yet, but I am considering a revamp of RISK using a bunch of cards valued 1-6 (possibly a wider range). The biggest complaint many people have with dice is their random nature. I figure if everyone had the same valued cards as their opponents they couldn't complain too much about randomness, at least not the same way they do with dice.

Most Basic Implementation:
6 decks, 1 for each player.
Each deck: 48 cards. 8 copies of the numbers 1-6

The cards would replace the dice rolls. When a player runs out of cards to play, they would shuffle up their used cards to replenish their draw deck. Players would have a hand up to 5 cards to select from. It is possible that players could have less than 5 cards if they used up all their cards already. Basically, everyone would have to play all 48 cards once before they could replenish their draw deck.

*NEW: explained in further detail in later posts*
- Cards used to bid for turn order.
- Decking building aspect with cards explored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Replace Dice with Cards, lots of them.
Your method would ensure that over 48 card draws, the luck would have evened out in that each player would have rolled the same AVERAGE number - 3.5. However, players would still point to very crucial rolls which went against them, and I doubt very much if someone who dislikes the high luck element of the game, would find this much of an improvement. You could maybe also experiment with having (say) 6 of those cards in your hand, so that a player has some sort of choice when "rolling", looking to save sixes for crucial times and getting rid of ones on less important rolls.

Risk was a great game in it's day - which, like my youth, was in a prior century. There are surely better games around these days which scratch the same itch? But if you go for your idea - good luck with it and I hope it improves the game for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
Your method would ensure that over 48 card draws, the luck would have evened out in that each player would have rolled the same AVERAGE number - 3.5. However, players would still point to very crucial rolls which went against them, and I doubt very much if someone who dislikes the high luck element of the game, would find this much of an improvement. You could maybe also experiment with having (say) 6 of those cards in your hand, so that a player has some sort of choice when "rolling", looking to save sixes for crucial times and getting rid of ones on less important rolls.

Risk was a great game in it's day - which, like my youth, was in a prior century. There are surely better games around these days which scratch the same itch? But if you go for your idea - good luck with it and I hope it improves the game for you!

That is what I was aiming for with the cards in hand.

I am thinking about expanding the range of cards a bit and having players bid on turn order for each round.

One of the things I hated about RISK back in the day was that turn order could make you or break you, especially early on. If everyone has to bid on when they would like to take their turn, then they have to decide between do I want to save my high card for the battlefield, or do I want to use it for determining turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:

Lol - misread your first post - you had already suggested having a few cards in hand. This, plus your idea of bidding for turn order, adds elements to the game which reduce the luck factor, which hopefully, can only be a good thing for the game.

Another possibility, to negate the power of the turn order, might be to limit each turn to just a single move/attack? So everyone's turn comes round quickly? I've not thought that through - I've not played the game for thousands of years - so it's just an idea for you to bounce around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Lol - misread your first post - you had already suggested having a few cards in hand. This, plus your idea of bidding for turn order, adds elements to the game which reduce the luck factor, which hopefully, can only be a good thing for the game.

Another possibility, to negate the power of the turn order, might be to limit each turn to just a single move/attack? So everyone's turn comes round quickly? I've not thought that through - I've not played the game for thousands of years - so it's just an idea for you to bounce around.

I think by limiting a player to a single move/attack would greatly reduce the flow of the game and take away the ability to blitz at the right time. RISK from what I remember playing back in the day was about finding the right time to push and to push hard.

Everything I'm thinking about is theoretical at this point as it has been ages since, I've last played RISK. Just recently I've picked up a bunch of RAGE decks from 5 Below and RISK from a local thrift store and have been playing with the idea of changing RISK up some.

Another idea that has come across is the ability to upgrade one's cards. I'm thinking of allowing players the ability to upgrade the cards in their deck. A RAGE deck has cards ranging from 0-15, and I am thinking that it might be cool if players could purchase some cards on a given turn. They would trade in cards from their hands to purchase another card.

Example: Use a 2 and a 6 to purchase an 7, or a 4 and a 4 to purchase a 7, or whatever. I am aware that my math is a bit off, I figure there needs to be cost associated with upgrading.

The bought card would go to the used card pile and wouldn't be available till they've cycled through their deck.

If I'm going to build up the deck building aspect of the game, it might be necessary to reduce the starting size of the decks; otherwise, the deck building aspect could feel negligible.

I'd like to build in a way to thin a deck as well, but am weary of creating a broken system. I think it is impractical to have a minimum deck size, so some other system would have to be in place to prevent abuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using a Rage deck is an interesting concept with several benefits. I think the Rage deck would be underutilized if the six suits and Rage cards were not used. The full range of cards could add abstract elements lacking from the game: resistance fighters, economics, and battle maneuvers.

The cards can be used to replace Drafting/Reinforcements based on territory count. In reality it cost money to mobilize, move, and strike with military units. You would draw up to 5 or 7 cards at the start of your turn. This hand would represent what your are able to buy and do. The number of starting cards could be adjusted based on the number of players and controlled continents. Seven cards for 3-4 players and five cards for 5+ players (depending on version), with an additional card per controlled continent.

Draft - the card points would represent a monetary value used to purchase new units. 1 point for 1 unit, 2 for 3 units, and 3 for 5 units. Optional: if the standard way of Drafting is used an upkeep cost should be applied - total number of units prior to Draft divided by 3,5, or 10. Creating an advanced, moderate, and easy difficulty respectively while maintaining the element of resource management.

Move (Attack) - the card value would represent the the monetary value required to move units, 1:1. If I played a 15 I would be allowed to move up to 15 units for Attack.

Attack/Defend - now any remaking cards I have would be used like dice values to determine the outcome of a battle. The suit colors would correspond to the players allowing for combat bonuses. There are two easy ways: I'm blue and play a blue card for a bonus of +1 or I'm blue and attack yellow with a yellow card for a +1 bonus. A successful attack could result in the attacking player drawing an additional two cards to facilitate blitzing. Optional: in the contemporary version with a maximum of 5 players - the sixth color not corresponding to a player can be used for naval battles involving territories connected by dotted sea lines.

Calculating losses based on card played by losing player: 1-5 = 1 unit lost, 6-10 = 3 units lost, 11-15 = 5 units lost.

The Rage cards can be used as "Instants" - useable on any turn. Representing resistance fighters/terrorists. Bonus and Mad Rage cards would represent a Nation's clandestine funding negatively/positively affecting a battle not directly involving that Nation. Change and Out Rage cards would be used for ambushes and/or sabotage (to units or supply lines) - granting an automatic win/loss and/or +1/-1 Fortify move for the player it is played on depending on when the card is played. This should be restricted to requiring the player playing the Rage card to have the Risk Territory card corresponding to the territory or an adjacent territory they wish to fund. Abstractly, this would represent having a presence in the region.

Risk Territory cards would be received in the standard way, but are no longer traded in for additional troops. They would be used as above to represent a presence in a region/territory. The two unit Draft bonus would still be used. Additionally, the Risk Territory cards could be used to place 1-2 units in the corresponding enemy occupied territory during the Draft phase.

I've have been struggling with a modern warfare variant Risk. Your idea to use Rage cards vs Rook, Uno, or others; looks to allow for the inclusion of the aspects of contemporary warfare I want represented in my variant, while maintaining the abstract simplicity I like about Risk. Now that my rambling is over I need to get to work on acquiring some Rage cards. Thanks for the inspiration and quality idea. Kudos!

Thanks again,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creative Mage
Canada
Victoria
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jetcougar wrote:
Draft - the card points would represent a monetary value used to purchase new units. 1 point for 1 unit, 2 for 3 units, and 3 for 5 units. Optional: if the standard way of Drafting is used an upkeep cost should be applied - total number of units prior to Draft divided by 3,5, or 10. Creating an advanced, moderate, and easy difficulty respectively while maintaining the element of resource management.

Was trying to follow this bit in particular, as I like the idea of streamlining reinforcements in Risk. Do you mean that for Drafting, only the Rage cards numbered 1, 2 and 3 could be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.