Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey Everybody!

We're at the beginning stages of a board game for our hometown. The original plan was to over-simplify a property trading game but as we dived into it, we realized that it's just too much of a hassle to have any sort of currency to buy spots. So we settled on an easier approach of answering trivia questions to "conquer" a spot and make it your own. Problem is, we are afraid we may run out of Trivia questions (or the game would get old after a few plays) and are looking for any suggestion as an alternative method to conquer a spot. Is there any mechanic that comes to mind which is easy to integrate for this particular aspect of the game? Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trivia is terrible. It's the worst thing to happen to board games.

With that out of the way, how are you keeping track of who owns what? All my immediate ideas involve some form of simplified currency, even if it's just tokens, so any extra info on possible game components would be a boon here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
When you own a spot, you actually have a flag piece that you place on it to mark it as your own. The object is to own one spot in each sector to win the game. I hope that helps explain the ownership part.

The only extra components we have are 'treasure chest' cards that equate to more luck than anything else, and 'newspaper headlines' in which you have to choose true or false about the validity of a given headline.

We toyed with the idea of using sand dollars as tokens - certain spots need more sand dollars than other spots to purchase but then it's a rush to collect sand dollars, and somebody still has to act as a bank. Not shooting down the idea at all but if we can find an alternative that would be amazing. This is why trivia is looking good, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of trivia games, but the idea of "fuzzy trivia" can work brilliant. Games like Timeline and Times don't require you to know exact numbers, but getting in the ballpark can win for you.

I like Koldfoot's example questions with (potentially huge) numerical answers: nobody could be expected to remember many of these, but if you can figure a way to reward rough answers that would be great.

Perhaps everyone can have a guess in turn, and whoever's turn it is gets the last guess, and whoever is closest claims the spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks koldfoot! The bigger concern we have is finding the person who knows even 30% of those answers. Our town only has 12k local residents but has almost 4 million visitors every summer for tourism. Do you think making the questions have multiple choices be a good fix? Are there any towns that you enjoy to travel to which you would want to learn a lot more about their history via a trivia game? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers also uses trivia well - you don't have to know the answers. Makes it a great game for families and non-gamers and they don't get trounced by people who are trivia buffs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savesheep wrote:
Our town only has 12k local residents but has almost 4 million visitors every summer for tourism.

Is the town Destin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
steckman wrote:
savesheep wrote:
Our town only has 12k local residents but has almost 4 million visitors every summer for tourism.

Is the town Destin?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pierce
United States
salinas
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seconding looking into timeline if you want to use dates and stuff (maybe theres some old records and newspapers and stuff in your local library that could help there)
For each contested space, players could try to guess the date for the particular question, and whoever guesses closest gets rewarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Ferezin
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a right way and a wrong way to do trivia. The right way is making sure that even when a player doesn't even know where to start they are still somehow engaged in the game. Having however is closest win, or making the requirements for a right answer looser or fuzzy as they have been adorably referred to in this thread are both good ways to approach this.

However, there are as always many other ways to do this. A classic example of adapting to this is the option game shows would give to ask the audience, or call someone up, which are really just giving players a chance for clues. I don't recommend trying something like this in your case but the point is you need to give the players hope, how you give them that hope is up to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The biggest hope that I've been thinking of lately is really multiple choice so every player has a 25% chance of getting any question right regardless of the knowledge they have. Maybe some sort of a 'connection token' to use and get an automatic correct answer? limited connection tokens of course but they can be used on the real tough questions in which you know you need to conquer that spot? Every player could start with one then somehow get some randomly through the game? Not many at all, maybe 3 random chances total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shea Allen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
steckman wrote:
Is the town Destin?

Do you live nearby? Would love to use you on some playtesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savesheep wrote:
steckman wrote:
Is the town Destin?

Do you live nearby? Would love to use you on some playtesting!

No, I live in the Orlando area. Been to Destin a couple of times though. Nice area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea where Destin is. Besides, I'm not posting about that anyway. My suggestion on claiming territory based on a "Soft" mechanic like Trivia goes another way. Like others who have posted, unless the game is intentionally a trivia game, I think trivia should be left out completely. Too many other games use this and for simplicity, just go out and buy a couple editions of Trivial Pursuit and use it, if this is really what you want.

There are other soft mechanics that might work. Dixit, Apples to Apples (including Cards Against Humanity) use similar forms of a soft mechanic that might work here, but with what you're doing, you can add a thematic layer.

Another mechanic you might consider is an election mechanic. I'm working on a game presently that has a relatively quick method where each player votes, but the only restriction is they can't vote for themselves. If the vote comes out as a tie, the winner is selected randomly.

I hope this helps.

- Sligo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.