Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
126 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Asia » Japan

Subject: Tokyo Game Market 2014 Spring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Tokyo Game Market 2014 Spring on June 1st is fast approaching.

I have only been to the Osaka Game Market once, so I'm not really sure how Tokyo fairs in comparison.

Is it better to purchase the catalogue for the event in advance, or is it okay to buy tickets at the door? I ask because I'm travelling from a far distance and would like to travel light.

I've seen a lot of game devs posting links and e-mails to reserve games in advance on http://gamemarket.jp/index.php
Is it better to reserve a game, or will there be sufficient copies? I missed out on a bunch of games because a lot of the game devs brought only a handful of games at the Osaka Game Market.

Hoping it's as cool as the one in Osaka. Hoping to not miss out on as many games as I did in Osaka as well haha.

4 
 Thumb up
10.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's OK to buy tickets at the door, but if you can get a ticket (catalogue) in advance, then do so. It's not a very heavy thing.

As I heard, it's a bit more intense than Osaka, but then again, I haven't been to the Osaka market; I only know it's a bit smaller. It's probably similar.

Whether you'll need to reserve a game or not is something you'll have to judge for each game you are aiming at. There is not set number of copies that people bring. A large table usually can bring more copies than a small one. Some sell out in 20 minutes, some hold for the whole fair. The famous guys usually sell out, so if you want stuff from Hayashi or Kanai or whatever, then you might want to reserve. Same goes for Kuro's Ars Alchimia, it has been reserved in quite large quantities, so it might go out.

I'm sure a couple of other people can hint you on what threatens to run out the first hour.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I can't help with your questions since I've only been to Osaka GM as well. I won't be able to attend Tokyo GM, but I can tell you what I'm interested in from what's been posted about so far at gamemarket.jp and other places online.

Okazu Brand
Isaribi and maybe Ekiden (re-release)

Aza Chen / BigFun Games
Kaiju (can't figure out exactly what this is, but I'm curious)

Oink Games
Maskmen and A Fake Artist Goes to New York (re-release)

Atmospheric Games
Too Many Cinderellas (already reserved)

One Draw
new Lost Legacy Expansion (already reserved)

Moaideas Game Design
Dungeon Guilds (maybe)

Design and Run
Tsukuruka and SpeeDeck

Product Arts
My Favorite Carrera (trying to find out more about this)

I'm curious about what everyone else hoping to pick up. What have you seen that seems like it might be the "next big thing"? Or what just looks really fun?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Griffon
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Mandy's Alley Thieves, and my own Countdown: 5 Minutes to Self-Destruction, at the JIGG booth (H22)


Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm as always hoping to pick up Kuro's latest batch. His out-flipped games are mostly under-developped but they're like a refreshing slap in the face: "You want card effects? Weird themes? The weirdest mechanism you ever saw? Well, how about THIS SHIT?" Something like that.

Then I have to say that "Too Many Cinderellas" sounds horribly attractive.

As always, I'm also sniffing on whatever Misaki Koubou is up to.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
captncavern wrote:
There's also Mandy's Alley Thieves, and my own Countdown: 5 Minutes to Self-Destruction, at the JIGG booth (H22)

I didn't have Mandy's on my list because I already ordered it Since I won't be at TokyoGM, I figured I better get in early! I haven't seen yours yet...I'll check it out after class, thanks for the info!

Zimeon wrote:
I'm as always hoping to pick up Kuro's latest batch. His out-flipped games are mostly under-developped but they're like a refreshing slap in the face: "You want card effects? Weird themes? The weirdest mechanism you ever saw? Well, how about THIS SHIT?" Something like that.

Then I have to say that "Too Many Cinderellas" sounds horribly attractive.

As always, I'm also sniffing on whatever Misaki Koubou is up to.

I'll have to check those out! Do you have any links to what they'll have available.

And, I agree about "Too Many Cinderellas"...I'm very interested in getting my hands on that one!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I frankly have no idea what Misaki Koubou are doing this time, I'm just going to their table and buy whatever they have (like I always do). IIRC he's reprinting that Maid game or whatever.

Kuro's new titles can be checked out at http://ash.jp/~md/ He has four titles for this Game Market, of which Ars Alchimia has received the most pre-hype.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I frankly have no idea what Misaki Koubou are doing this time, I'm just going to their table and buy whatever they have (like I always do). IIRC he's reprinting that Maid game or whatever.

Kuro's new titles can be checked out at http://ash.jp/~md/ He has four titles for this Game Market, of which Ars Alchimia has received the most pre-hype.

Thanks for the info! Those games by Kuro look really fun!

I did the same thing with Oink Games at OsakaGM. Based on games of theirs that I had played previously, I went directly to their booth and bought anything they had in stock that I didn't already own The only one I bought that I haven't played yet is dibdib...the rest have been well worth the money.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Same goes for Kuro's Ars Alchimia, it has been reserved in quite large quantities, so it might go out.


I made a quick reservation and I'm on a wait-list... What are the odds of people just not getting it? Do I just head there at 1pm hoping no one has shown up and has defaulted on picking it up? Sorry, my lack of 日本語 reading skills...

bwbollom wrote:

Okazu Brand
Isaribi and maybe Ekiden (re-release)

Aza Chen / BigFun Games
Kaiju (can't figure out exactly what this is, but I'm curious)

Oink Games
Maskmen and A Fake Artist Goes to New York (re-release)

Atmospheric Games
Too Many Cinderellas (already reserved)

One Draw
new Lost Legacy Expansion (already reserved)

Moaideas Game Design
Dungeon Guilds (maybe)

Design and Run
Tsukuruka and SpeeDeck

Product Arts
My Favorite Carrera (trying to find out more about this)

I'm curious about what everyone else hoping to pick up. What have you seen that seems like it might be the "next big thing"? Or what just looks really fun?


I'm pikcing up Isarabi, KaijuToo Many Cinderallas, Lost Legacy exp, Oink games and dungeon guilds for myself or a friend.

captncavern wrote:
There's also Mandy's Alley Thieves, and my own Countdown: 5 Minutes to Self-Destruction, at the JIGG booth (H22)


Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

My friend has already picked up a copy of Alley Thieves. I plan on playing it before heading to Tokyo. I saw countdown and was intrigued. Is it like space alert with your friends screaming at you for the dice?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Griffon
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's closer to Space Cadets: Dice Duel, with a much shorter play time (which is better for the players' nerves), but I haven't played SCD, so that's only an assumption on my part.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizukage wrote:
I made a quick reservation and I'm on a wait-list... What are the odds of people just not getting it? Do I just head there at 1pm hoping no one has shown up and has defaulted on picking it up?

Checking his page, it seems he's closed pre-orders for Ars Alchimia, as there were too many Which is a first for him, he usually sells horribly (his games are too weird and look too difficult…). I'd go there and see if there are any non-reserved copies left. Don't know if he's reserved every copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizukage wrote:

I made a quick reservation and I'm on a wait-list... What are the odds of people just not getting it? Do I just head there at 1pm hoping no one has shown up and has defaulted on picking it up? Sorry, my lack of 日本語 reading skills...

I think if you are on the reservation list you'll be good to go If you reserved via the Japanese form, I think it'll say what time you should try to get there by, usually if the person doesn't turn up they might sell it to the public. So as long as you get there before that time you'll be fine If it says 1pm, I think it means get there before 1pm

Quote:

I'm pikcing up Isarabi, KaijuToo Many Cinderallas, Lost Legacy exp, Oink games and dungeon guilds for myself or a friend.

Ooooh, those look like great choices I'm also after those games. I believe there's a new Love Letter also, but I think it's only in Japanese.
Quote:

My friend has already picked up a copy of Alley Thieves. I plan on playing it before heading to Tokyo. I saw countdown and was intrigued. Is it like space alert with your friends screaming at you for the dice?
Ooh, thank you for checking out our games. Countdown looks awesome, I reserved a copy If you're interested it's best to reserve, because there's only a limited quantity.

The other booths I can recommend are the Taiwan Board Game Designer group, as well as the Korean designers. They're bringing over some fantastic games each year, and usually they're quite reasonable.

A couple of other games to look out for:
Catch the Lion - I think this might be the theme for this Game Market, there appears to be some fun events throughout the day
Aristo-Maze (this version has English)

Booth A23, & A24 hopefully will have some cool games. Cosaic & New Games Order have been doing some amazing reprints of out of print games, and changing the artwork to a Japanese themed/style art. I've bought about 4 of their games this year and they all look awesome.

I'll post up a geeklist later this week about some games to check out
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
Mizukage wrote:

I made a quick reservation and I'm on a wait-list... What are the odds of people just not getting it? Do I just head there at 1pm hoping no one has shown up and has defaulted on picking it up? Sorry, my lack of 日本語 reading skills...

I think if you are on the reservation list you'll be good to go If you reserved via the Japanese form, I think it'll say what time you should try to get there by, usually if the person doesn't turn up they might sell it to the public. So as long as you get there before that time you'll be fine If it says 1pm, I think it means get there before 1pm

Quote:

I'm pikcing up Isarabi, KaijuToo Many Cinderallas, Lost Legacy exp, Oink games and dungeon guilds for myself or a friend.

Ooooh, those look like great choices I'm also after those games. I believe there's a new Love Letter also, but I think it's only in Japanese.
Quote:

My friend has already picked up a copy of Alley Thieves. I plan on playing it before heading to Tokyo. I saw countdown and was intrigued. Is it like space alert with your friends screaming at you for the dice?
Ooh, thank you for checking out our games. Countdown looks awesome, I reserved a copy If you're interested it's best to reserve, because there's only a limited quantity.

The other booths I can recommend are the Taiwan Board Game Designer group, as well as the Korean designers. They're bringing over some fantastic games each year, and usually they're quite reasonable.

A couple of other games to look out for:
Catch the Lion - I think this might be the theme for this Game Market, there appears to be some fun events throughout the day
Aristo-Maze (this version has English)

Booth A23, & A24 hopefully will have some cool games. Cosaic & New Games Order have been doing some amazing reprints of out of print games, and changing the artwork to a Japanese themed/style art. I've bought about 4 of their games this year and they all look awesome.

I'll post up a geeklist later this week about some games to check out


Well, being 16th on a waitlist... The odds be against me.

For love letter is it new art?

I picked up Aristo-Maze back in Osaka Game Market. I might pick one up for a friend because he was interested in it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
I believe there's a new Love Letter also, but I think it's only in Japanese.

I saw this listing on Amazon.jp the other day...with the release date of May 31st, I thought it might be a TokyoGM release:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9...

merc007 wrote:

A couple of other games to look out for:
Catch the Lion - I think this might be the theme for this Game Market

I haven't seen anything about Catch the Lion...now I need to go see what I can find
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, that edition of Love Letter looks like it has at least one new card, the King!
If it has the Contessa I might have to get it and do paste ups....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphiel wrote:
Wait, that edition of Love Letter looks like it has at least one new card, the King!
If it has the Contessa I might have to get it and do paste ups....


It has 6 extra cards, the King (value X) being one of them. The others are the Japanese versions of the Kanai factory edition extra princess/prince and possibly some promo stuff.

Heading over to the Kanai booth is my main priority. Pushing is not out of the question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lundell
Japan
Sakura
Chiba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i went to the market last year and spent close to 40000 yen. great times! i am sooo looking forward to it again this year with only one minor glitch. my kids sports day is on the the 31st and if it rains it will be postponed til the 1st, the game day!!!! i even took a day off on monday so i can drink beer and play games after the market.

i am pleading with all of you to keep your fingers crossed, pray to whatever god you may pray to, do a sun dance, make a sacrifice. anything you can think of to make the sun shine or prevent rain on may 31st. cheers!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daldal64 wrote:
i went to the market last year and spent close to 40000 yen. great times! i am sooo looking forward to it again this year with only one minor glitch. my kids sports day is on the the 31st and if it rains it will be postponed til the 1st, the game day!!!! i even took a day off on monday so i can drink beer and play games after the market.

i am pleading with all of you to keep your fingers crossed, pray to whatever god you may pray to, do a sun dance, make a sacrifice. anything you can think of to make the sun shine or prevent rain on may 31st. cheers!

I can't go due to an event I must attend on Saturday and Sunday. If the event gets rained out and therefore I *could* have gone, I might cry cry
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this game on the gamemarket blog. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/imaginegames

It looks fantastic, but I'm not sure I could handle the game. Anyone have any info on imaginegames and their pedigree? It's a game that looks really promising... but that price tag makes me worried...

I really like the old ukiyo-e feel...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizukage wrote:
Just saw this game on the gamemarket blog. http://blog.goo.ne.jp/imaginegames

It looks fantastic, but I'm not sure I could handle the game. Anyone have any info on imaginegames and their pedigree? It's a game that looks really promising... but that price tag makes me worried...

I really like the old ukiyo-e feel...

Unfortunately, I know nothing about it other than what you've posted. It looks amazing though...very very curious even though it's pricey.

Do any of you have additional information about a new Seiji Kanai game called God's Gambit? I just saw these two posts about it, but can't find much else:
http://www.tgiw.info/2014/05/gods_gambit.html

http://www.trictrac.net/actus/gods-gambit-seiji-kanai-back-d...
That first link says it will be available in mid June for Y2500. The second link sounds like it will be available at TokyoGM!

**EDIT** I found a little more info by running a google search for the actual Japanese title: 神々の一手

And, you can apparently already pre-order it through Amazon.jp:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9...

It looks awesome!
Need. More. Info!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okazu Brand's Edo Yashiki and Isaribi are now available to reserve for TokyoGM pickup...just FYI:
http://okazubrand.seesaa.net/article/397414840.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizu
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, already made a reservation. A game about fishing... Should be good...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mizukage wrote:
Yup, already made a reservation. A game about fishing... Should be good...

Yeah, can't really beat fishing in old time Japan! I'm very curious about this one...possibly the one that's highest on my radar right now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bwbollom wrote:
Mizukage wrote:
Yup, already made a reservation. A game about fishing... Should be good...

Yeah, can't really beat fishing in old time Japan! I'm very curious about this one...possibly the one that's highest on my radar right now.


Action-point system game. You choose to use your AP to either go fishing, selling the fish, or improving your ship. If you don't want to do anything, you pass for the round. Some stuff can only be done once per round (such as fishing or selling). When you pass, you get to take one of the end-round benefit cards, i.e. the sooner you pass, the more choices you have. Repeat until all have passed the round. Play 5 rounds. Most money at the end wins.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bollom
Japan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Action-point system game. You choose to use your AP to either go fishing, selling the fish, or improving your ship. If you don't want to do anything, you pass for the round. Some stuff can only be done once per round (such as fishing or selling). When you pass, you get to take one of the end-round benefit cards, i.e. the sooner you pass, the more choices you have. Repeat until all have passed the round. Play 5 rounds. Most money at the end wins.

Thanks for the info! I'm in
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.